Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bipolarbear
    Duke Erchanger of Swabia to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
    Homw much more than 1/3 of the sowds? We demand specifics!
    Well, there are 900 swords available, while he claims 500. That´s clearly more than 1/3, isn´t it?
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Anno Domini CMXX

This year’s Pope: John X
      This year’s Emperor: Berengar I
      This year’s King: Heinrich I

Successions

The Empress-Regent of the Byzantine Empire, Zoe Karvounopsina, has been sidelined and removed as regent following her Empire’s disastrous defeat at Anchialus. The Admiral Romanos Lekapenos has managed to take up the reigns of power from the underage Constantine VII, and has proclaimed himself co-Emperor (though he is the senior Emperor in all but name).

Saxon merchants from England have reported that the High King in distant Ireland has been slain by the Vikings, along with a dozen lesser Kings of that land, in a single battle.

Family Business

No family events of note have taken place this year.

Land und Leute

The winter this year was quite mild, and for the first time in several years the weather is a boon to farming rather than a curse. All Duchies gain a 10% bonus to the profit from their demesnes this year.

Krieg und Frieden

Rejoice! The Magyars have been driven from German soil, and the hated Hadúr Zoltán has been captured. Unfortunately, the victory was incomplete, as the Magyar’s chief leader, Gyula Levente is alive, and the majority of his army with him – but at least the good people of Germany can breathe easier for a little while. With Levente still alive and the relics in his possession, it seems no prince will be collecting the Pope’s prize this year.

The Croatian Duchy of Dalmatia and the Bulgarian Empire have agreed upon a 5-year truce. All can see that this is a fragile agreement at best, and it will take the very will of God to keep these powers from each others’ throats.

The Frieslanders have reported that a fleet of longboats, sent by the King of the Danemark, has arrived in Friesland to reinforce the local Viking occupiers. The Frieslanders and Saxons will have to fight all the harder to liberate Utrecht; it is rumored that the Danes travel with the dreaded berserkir, infamous crazed warriors that fight with the very wrath of Satan.

Emperor Simeon I of Bulgaria has concluded an alliance with the Pechenegs, a steppe people to the east of the Magyars, against their mutual enemies in the Byzantine Empire and Magyar Horde.

Other News of Christendom

His reign reinforced by his tremendous victories against the Byzantines, Emperor Simeon I of the Bulgarians has secured the autonomy of the Bulgarian church in an ecclesiastical synod. The Bulgarian church has been raised to the status of a Patriarchate; the weakened Romans at Constantinople have not even attempted to contest this decision.

A meeting has been held at Salzburg this year between Duke Arnulf of Bavaria, King Rudolph II of Burgundy, and the Emperor Berengar I. Lavishly provided for by the coffers of the German crown, the three nobles have discussed strategy against the Magyars and trade rights in central Europe. The Emperor has called for the liberation of Carinthia from the heathen this year, and has also informed the Bavarian Duke that a 5% tax on German and Venetian goods traveling through his lands would be a most proper display of good will, especially if the Bavarians wish to rely on Imperial support in the coming years.

Swabia

Though the regrettable flight of the Swabian soldiers at the start of the Battle of Tirol has put the Duke in some local disgrace, the final victory has salvaged what could have been a destabilizing military debacle. The removal of the Magyars as an immediate threat to Swabian towns, at least, is welcome news for the Duke and his partisans. With the iron trade to Friesland cancelled, the Duchy seems to have turned finally to a war footing – apparently the nobles of Swabia have had enough of the Magyars’ predation upon their estates.

Corruption in Swabia remains constant at 16%.

Franconia

The hapless Duke of Franconia seems to be having some difficulty. Various internal matters have apparently paralyzed his apparatus of state, or his judgment, or both – the Duchy, once holder of the German crown, could not even send soldiers to aid the Kingdom in its latest battle. The nobles of Franconia are increasingly polarized into rival camps allied to either Landgraf Cristianus von Mellrichstadt or Rhinegraf Gisfried von Ingelbeim, who each have more influence and experience with the Franconian barons than Franconia’s new Duke. The power of the Duke is increasingly limited to what lies within the walls of Frankfurt.

Corruption in Franconia has increased by 1% this year, to 16%.

Bavaria

The victory at Innsbruck has brought great prestige to the Duke of Bavaria; though incomplete, his prominent role in the victory has brought him acclaim as a war leader that seemed to have eluded him previously. With the barons weakened by the recent rebellion and the Duke’s prestige greater than ever, the position of Duke Arnulf has never been stronger. The Duke is also honored to have a King and an Emperor as his guests in Salzburg, which aggrandizes him all the more in political circles.

The Duchy has been busy with fortification recently, a measure thought by many to be long overdue. Ring walls at Passau and Salzburg have been finished, and Bavaria’s stone mines – crucial for walls and castles – have been upgraded and expanded. The defensive network on the border with Carinthia, however, will need more time and money to complete – the border is long and much of it runs through wilderness.

Flush from their recent victory, the Normans and Franks have been agitating for a swift reconquest of Carinthia in order to finally establish their promised estates. Though for now they do the bidding of the Duke, it is well known that they are freebooters at heart and may lose faith in the Duke’s leadership if their promised lands are withheld from them through inaction.

Corruption in Bavaria has decreased by 1%, to 18%.

Saxony

Thought the King has been mired down in foreign affairs in Friesland, he has continued to make his presence known in Saxony though an extensive building campaign. Work on lead mines and roads has paid dividends; Saxony especially is in need of good roads, as unlike Swabia or Bavaria, it lacks the old roads from the days of the Roman Empire that are still in use today. Better communication links have helped to bring more of the Duchy under the control of the King’s agents and constables.

The sacrifice of the brave von Dortmund in battle has resulted in some strange stories in Saxony, with scattered reports of miraculous healings being attributed to the deceased young knight. Perhaps this worthy young commander is one of God’s blessed as well?

Corruption in Saxony has decreased by 1%, to 8%.

Bohemia

With the Magyars distracted from Bohemian lands, the Bohemian Duke has made great progress in returning his lands to peace and order. Bohemian troops have, without a fight, managed to bring the last of Bohemia back under the control of the Duke. With this task accomplished, the Duke has set his sights on the past glory of the Great Moravians – Ducal scouts have moved south into Moravia to size up the Magyar presence there.

Flax cultivation has begun in earnest in Bohemia; fields long abandoned have been brought back into production, and the Duchy has produced its first small, but profitable linen crop. Though facilities for processing the flax are primitive and the acreage small, a source of linen that could compete with the linen mills of Western Europe could be profitable indeed.

Work has continued on roads in Bohemia, as well as on Bohemia’s silver mines. The present silver veins, however, are not the easiest to access, and the Duke’s engineers report that more money and time will be necessary to upgrade the mines to greater production and efficiency. In Pilsen, a palisade has been completed, a welcome step towards the lasting security of the Duchy.

The Duke has ordered an investigation into the status of his own armed forces; his generals have agreed that though the Bohemian army is somewhat small, morale has run high since the liberation of the country from the Magyars and the victory in Thuringia. They seem most worried about the state of the troops’ equipment; the soldiers are poorly equipped and most lack armor of any kind. All agree that a serious confrontation with the Magyars would be disastrous without a more properly equipped and armored force.

Corruption in Bohemia has decreased by 1%, to 16%.

Friesland

Though the arrival of the Danish fleet is worrisome news, the County holds for now in a kind of uneasy stalemate with little blood shed. The Frisians, bolstered by the Saxon royal army, are clearly a force to be reckoned with, and neither they nor the Vikings have made any real offensive moves in the past year. A battle is coming, but for now the occupiers and occupied wait for the right moment.

Corruption in Friesland remains constant at 13%.
      Last edited by Cyclotron; November 26, 2006, 15:16.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

A Moravian ambassador in the service of the Magyars has arrived in Salzburg. He has supposedly been sent in lieu of an actual Magyar on account of the difficulty of finding a qualified Magyar ambassador that can actually speak German. He claims to speak for the Fejedelem.

Ambassador Kázmér of Moravia to the Nobles at Salzburg

The Prince of the Magyars, the most powerful Szabolcs, has noted that you have in captivity his relative Hadúr Zoltán - a prince of the blood of Árpád - as well as a number of his warriors. He is unused to the German custom regarding prisoners, but proposes that their freedom may form the basis for a truce between the Horde and the German tribes.

Emperor Berengar I to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria, Duke Burchard II of Swabia, and King Heinrich of Germany

I came here with the intention of aiding the rulers of Germany in exchange for the securing of my own borders. Now that Germany is no longer in immediate danger, the March of Carinthia must be restored presently in order to secure my lands in Friuli from direct Magyar invasion. I cannot afford to keep this army in the field indefinitely, and unless action is taken soon I will be forced to either retire back to Italy or levy payments from your Kingdom to support my army in the field. Delay will cost you my assistance, one way or another.

I am eager to hear your proposals, especially that of the King, whose presence I have unfortunately missed here at Salzburg and whose personal audience is strongly recommended.

King Rudolph II of Burgundy to King Heinrich of Germany and Duke Arnulf of Bavaria

My friends, I am glad to have been of some service. Unfortunately, my own wounds and the unstable state of the French Kingdom prevent me from campaigning with you deeper into Magyar territory. I propose that my forces, under my lieutenants, remain at Salzburg this year as a defensive reserve while you move southward with the Emperor; my personal presence in my lands is sorely needed. I cannot afford to keep them in German lands much longer than that.

Caesar Simeon I, Emperor of the Bulgarians, Greeks, and Romans, to King Heinrich I of Germany

The Great Emperor Simeon, ruler of the East and Emperor of Christendom, congratulates the German people on their defeat of the savage Magyars. Though He is unable to personally come to the assistance of the Germans, He has directed his considerable treasury to the recruitment of the Pechenegs as allies, another tribe of heathens that have fought the Magyars many times. If God wills it, the Pechenegs will prove to be a distraction to the Magyars to the benefit of the German princes.
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Emperor Berengar I
          I have no intention of waiting to reclaim Carinthia, which is rightfully mine. The Magyars have already retreated past the boundaries of the Mark, the heathen tribe to their east has promised support, and the Magyars are freshly defeated, as we hold 1,300 of their men and their second-in-command. Bavaria is solidly under my control, and my own army is up to the task of holding Carinthia once recaptured. They will never be weaker than this, and we will never be stronger. We will move this year to reclaim the Mark for Christendom! We should also consider the matter regarding the captured Magyars and the nessecary arrangements. I personally do not especially trust the Magyars, and am disinclined to negotiate.

I understand your need for financial support in this endevour, and would be willing to give you the 1,300 Magyars as slaves, either to work your own estates or sell to the Venetians or another merchant.

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to King Rudolph II of Burgundy
          I understand your position and welcome your offer to have your army in Bavaria as border guards.
          Last edited by appleciders; November 26, 2006, 22:45.
          "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
          phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
          three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Emperor Berengar I to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria

The Magyars have despoiled my lands for years and pillaged and murdered as they pleased. Were those captives mine, I would not have captured them to begin with - I would have put them all to the sword as a demonstration to the Magyars of our utter sincerity. What you do with them is not my concern, but I have no need of them and I am no slave trader.

As for fund raising, I intend to levy a tax on your trade routes through my territory. This is not a proposal, it is a declaration of fact. It is only fitting that you pay a basic toll for using my lands to enrich yourselves and the Venetians, who you no doubt know are not on the best of terms with me.

I would entertain a proposal of a truce in theory, but I doubt the sincerity of the Magyar prince, and I further doubt his authority to stop all raids - from my experience with the Magyars, they do not all heed any single leader. Nevertheless, the Gyula is still somewhere with a sizeable force, and the Magyars are at their best when making surprise attacks. I do not believe them to be utterly defeated by any means.

Comment

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Emperor Berengar I
              I do not intend to imply a devil-may-care attitude towards a reconquest of Carinthia, but I honestly believe that this year will be the best time to reconquer the Mark. The Magyars, while never weak, will only get stronger from this point forward, and I intend to make the most of your assistance while you are able to offer it.

While I am not thrilled that you wish to levy a tax, I must conclude that a small tax on those goods is probably fair. What may not be fair, however, is levying the tax solely on me- the Venetians gain as much if not more than me, so they should by rights bear half the burden.

OOC: As long as we're having entertaining titles, am I not still Margrave of Carinthia, even though I don't control it in reality? I don't recall the King ever confirming the transfer to Eberhard, so it should still be official, right?
              Last edited by appleciders; November 28, 2006, 00:04.

Comment

Duke Vratislaus I to King Heinrich of Germany

My lord, I wish to know if I may count on your support should I attempt to gain a Bishop for Prague and Bohemia?
                Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Emperor Berengar I to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                  I am in agreement with your strategic plan, though reluctantly so. I simply cannot afford to keep this army in the field on a prolonged, cautious campaign.

I feel that you overestimate the ability of the Magyars to regain their strength. Never before have I seen them use Slavs and other subject peoples in battle; either they are simply keen to try out new tactics, or they are starting to feel themselves at a manpower disadvantage. Their troops are not levies and cannot be raised in a few months; they are warriors trained from birth, and that is not something so easily replenished. It is for that reason as well that, were they my prisoners, I would execute all the Magyars taken at the last battle. Such a foe must be bled white if he is to be beaten.

As for taxes, you can rest assured that Venice has already been notified of their identical obligations.

OOC: As long as we're having entertaining titles, am I not still Margrave of Carinthia, even though I don't control it in reality? I don't recall the King ever confirming the transfer to Eberhard, so it should still be official, right?
                  I suppose you have me there. Nevertheless, these titles are those that each ruler would use to describe themselves; note that Vratislaus is Prince of Moravia and Nitra as well as Duke of Silesia, even though he has no presence in those territories and even though he is the only one to recognize those claims. Because you have already declared your intent to give the Margravate to Eberhard, it seems unlikely that you would then announce yourself as Margrave, yes?

By the way, here's a particularly long string of titles:

Berengar I, by the Grace of God Holy Roman Emperor, King of Italy, the Romans, and the Lombards, Duke of Corsica, Margrave of Friuli and Ivrea, Count of Pavia and Milan, Patrician of the Romans.

Comment

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to King Heinrich of Germany
                    My liege, the matter of the Margravate of Carinthia has been brought to my attention. The Margravate has been promised to my younger brother Eberhard, but the transaction has not taken place, largely because of the fact that I currently do not control Carinthia. With the Emperor's support, I plan to move towards Carinthia this turn and retake it for Christianity. Once Eppenstein, the sole large city remaining in the Mark, has been retaken, I would like to confirm Eberhard as the Markgraf of Carinthia, and seek your support in this transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by appleciders
                      Once Eppenstein, the sole large city remaining in the Mark, has been retaken,
                      If by "large city" you mean "burned out husk." There are currently no towns of any sort left in Carinthia, only scattered villages. Eppenstien and Vienna are both damaged sections of ring wall at this point.

Comment

Oh. It was still on the map, so I figured there must be something left. Huh.

Comment

Oh. It was still on the map, so I figured there must be something left. Huh.
                          There is something left - a wall. It is likely being used as a fence to keep sheep from wandering right now. The existence of that wall is why it (and Vienna) are still on the map.

Of course, you can found or re-found towns - many rulers would do so, to improve their domains, reward vassals, gain prestige, and so on. You are not restricted to historical towns or towns not found on my map.
                          Last edited by Cyclotron; November 29, 2006, 01:10.

Comment

Got it. I actually hadn't thought we could found towns, since that would be such a long-term project, but now that you put the idea in my head...
                            Last edited by appleciders; November 29, 2006, 02:57.

Comment

Got it. I actually hadn't thought we could found towns, since that would be such a long-term project, but now that you put the idea in my head...
                              Actually, founding towns was a widely practiced part of being a lord in these days. A town is created only by the lord granting a township charter to a village or settlement (though sometimes, the lord also creates the settlement by moving people there from other places on his land). This charter gives the townsfolk some degree of autonomy and local self-governance; in return, the town usually attracts trade, quality craftsmen, and so on that help enrich the Lord's estate.

In this period of time, urbanization was far from being widespread, but the practice certainly existed. In game terms, because we are in a "pre-tax" society, towns don't directly give you more income because the Lord's only income is from his own demesne - however, especially prosperous towns (and eventually, cities) will certainly have an impact on trade revenue, prestige, and so on. Large and wealthy towns may sometimes feel tempted to challenge some of their ruler's decisions, but they can also provide useful trade and services, and even trained militia when need be. Keep in mind, however, that this is a 10th century, 90+ percent agrarian society, and re-creating Renaissance Florence in Bavaria is a very remote possibility.
                              Last edited by Cyclotron; November 29, 2006, 05:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                                Keep in mind, however, that this is a 10th century, 90+ percent agrarian society, and re-creating Renaissance Florence in Bavaria is a very remote possibility.
                                No, but if recreating pre-Magyar Eppenstein is a possibility, I'll definately do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X