X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclotron
    started a topic HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Welcome to HRE NES! If you're new here and would like to join up, the following spaces are available:

Duchies: The Duchy of Swabia is currently open. Swabia is one of the founding German Duchies, with full rights at the Reichstag and occupying a key position at the heart of Europe.

Minor Powers: The County of Friesland is open. Friesland is a small region claimed by both Germany and Lotharingia; it's also currently occupied by the Vikings. Playing the Frisians will be difficult, but the little country has a lot of potential to be a naval and mercantile power.

Others: Other realms not mentioned above are not intended for players at this time; other big powers like Italy, France, the Vikings, and so forth are mine. If you have something creative in mind, I'll hear you out by PM, but I would prefer if you chose something that's open above. I'll be more likely to let you do something unorthodox if there aren't any free spaces above. I'm sure we can come up with something to get you involved.

HRE NES
    Rise of the Holy Roman Empire

It is the Year of Our Lord 924. Charlemagne, Imperator Augustus and King of the Franks, has been dead for more than a century, and his empire is a shadow of its former self. The Christians of Europe are split into petty kingdoms and duchies, and Charlemagne’s crown sits in a Papal vault in Rome, the last Emperor having been defeated and cast down in disgrace.

The Throne of Saint Peter is also not what it once was. The Popes have been deep in the sway of several powerful Roman families – more precisely, the sway of powerful women within those families, and the illicit affairs that are rumored to go on in the holiest parts of the Eternal City have become the source of many derisive jokes and ribald rhymes. For now, these powerful families control the Papacy, and use it chiefly for their own immediate gain in the environs of Rome.

Not all is decaying, however. In the dark forests of Germany at the edges of Charlemagne’s empire, new powers are emerging. The tribes of the Germanic peoples have only recently restyled themselves as feudal nobility, and have appropriated large and independent realms for themselves. The four most powerful of these German Dukes, rulers of the tribal regions known as the “Stem Duchies,” have banded together and elected a King, and they have been joined by the Bohemians as a fifth duchy under the German crown. Threatened by the ruthless Magyar horsemen from the southeast, the Dukes have – at least superficially – submitted to a Monarch. Make no mistake, however, that they will humbly accept vassaldom and servile obedience to their new King – it was not long ago that their ancestors were pagan chieftains plundering the ruins of the Roman Empire, and they thirst for the power and wealth that could be theirs as Duke, King – or Emperor.

Playable Factions and Leaders:

Duchy of Saxony – King Heinrich (Micha)
    Duchy of Franconia – Duke Eberhard III (foolish_icarus)
    Duchy of Bavaria – Duke Arnulf (appleciders)
    Duchy of Swabia – Duke Burchard II (Vacant!)
    Duchy of Bohemia - Duke Vratislaus (Nimitz)
    County of Friesland - Count Dirk (Vacant!)

Unplayable Powers:

Kingdom of Italy – King Rudolph II
    Kingdom of Upper Burgundy – King Rudolph II
    Kingdom of Lower Burgundy – King Louis III “the Blind”
    Kingdom of Western Francia and Lothairingia – King Rudolph I
    Duchy of Normandy – Duke Rollo Ganger
    Republic of Venice – Doge Orso II Participazio
    Magyar Horde – Fejedelem Fajsz
    Kievan Rus – Prince Igor
    Papal States – Pope John X
    Kingdom of England – King Athelstan
    Eastern Roman Empire – Emperor Romanos I (co-ruling with Constantine VII)
    Croatian Duchy of Dalmatia – Duke Tomislav
    Emirate of Cordoba – Emir Abd-ar-Rahman III
    Kingdom of Bulgaria - Tsar Simeon "the Great"
    Kingdom of the Danes - King Hardeknut
    Duchy of Spoleto - Duke Boniface
    Margravate of Tuscany - Margrave Guy
    Principality of Benevento and Capua - Prince Landulf (co-ruing with Atenulf II)
    Duchy of Naples - Duke Marinus
    Duchy of Gaeta - Hypatus John
    Principality of Salerno - Prince Guaimar II
    Republic of Amalfi - Patrician Mastalus

Rules and Guides

There is no rulebook for HRE NES, but it's pretty easy to pick up. Look around and see how other people are playing, and look up the first HRE NES thread to see the whole thing from the year 911. If you have questions, don't be afraid to PM me or post them!

This is a detail-oriented and "authoritarian" NES. By authoritarian, I mean that you give orders rather than say how things are; you are playing a person in this NES (specifically, the Duke/Count/King/Emperor), not a country. By detail-oriented I mean that details are emphasized; my updates include various and sundry historical notes, I give accounts of all battles, and so on. Likewise, your updates should be as detail-filled as possible. More description is (within reason) better!

For orders, I prefer that everything be public and in this thread unless it needs to be secret - then you pm me. There is no limit on pms, and detail is good, but filling 10 pms with descriptions about the finely detailed mustaches on your Angonmen won't help you any.

Updates will typically occur when all players have submitted orders; updates will be postponed if players are on vacation. The GM reserves the right to update in a player's absence if the player just dissappears.

I have only two big rules to participate: First, make sure you pm me if you are leaving for a while, so I don't remove you or update without you. Be courteous! Secondly, if you find yourself unable to play, send me a pm, so I can give your spot to somebody else.

Note that new duchies will probably open up over time, so if you're reading this thread but there's no room for you, pm me anyway - when a duchy opens up you can join in.
    Last edited by Cyclotron; July 27, 2007, 03:16.

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Sorry you're sad. But we'll always have Dresden

And if foolish keeps going with his NES, maybe we'll have that too!

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    :'(

This is sad... Now I´ll have to get back to real life, too. At least most of the conversion stuff is already done out there, so now it´s all about intrigues!!!

Thank you, Cyclotron, Thou hath done this much better than I had hoped for...

Leave a comment:

• Nimitz
    replied
    Yup if you ever have the wish to continue in the future I'll be around. I mean I still have moravia to finish taking!

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    I'm in a very "back-to-school" mindset right now, and I'm stage managing a show to boot, so having this out from the back of my mind is good for now. I'm up to continue in the hypothetical future, though.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    It's not entirely unreasonable that I might continue it at some point - of course, I'd only do that if there was demand for it, and I am pretty sure that's something that won't be a serious consideration until next year.

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    A good game indeed.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    Thank you for a very good game, sir.
    Perhaps someday...?

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Hey there folks,

As you may have noticed, HRE NES has been in a bit of a lull. I've just completed a move across the country (I'm in Atlanta now), with a post-graduate internship and a part-time job on top of that. It's going to be a lot of work - work that I'll enjoy, but a lot of it nonetheless.

I've really enjoyed playing with you guys for the last year and a half. I never ran HRE NES as smoothly as I liked (I'm a politics major, not a math major), but I'm thankful that you all bore with me on my first NES and I hope that you also had some fun.

You can probably see where this is going - I'm formally retiring this NES. I simply have a lot more to think about and work on than I did in college or the months after graduation, and while I may stick around as a player, I can no longer give the effort or time required to mod this NES.

But as some consolation, I give you -

The HRE NES Honorable Mentions

To our Saxon Stallion Micha, I hereby grant the Ann Coulter Award for Most Heathens Converted.
    "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

To appleciders, who went from "the Bad" to a pretty swell guy, I hereby grant the Ted Haggard Award for Fastest and Most Unlikely Conversion.
    "He is completely heterosexual. That is something he discovered."

To foolish icarus, our first king and latter day victor, I hereby grant the Jesus Christ Award for Best Comeback
    "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen."

To Nimitz, our resident Bohemian, I hereby grant the Arnold Schwarzennegger Award for Most Astute Political Marriage.
    "He often said his goals in life were to move to America, become an actor, and marry a Kennedy."

And of course, bipolarbear receives an Honorable Mention for Most Limerent Masseurs.

Thank you all for playing.

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyclotron
    Micha, do you want any old generals included in this year's call-up, or all new ones?
    Sorry for the late response... I´d like to keep Vizegraf Leonhard von Zeitz if I haven't appointed him already. So I´d be plesed to have two new knights in shiny armour!

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    Bavarian Orders (incomplete)

500 d. to continue to improve roads in Bavaria.

350 d. from iron to manufacture weapons and armor to be exactly determined later.

300 d. to continue to improve the border forts system on the Carinthian border.

115 d. stone to Markgraf Eberhard to help him improve Carinthia.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Hello again!

Micha, do you want any old generals included in this year's call-up, or all new ones?

Magyar Chieftain of Olomouc to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
    Very well, that will be sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Sorry guys, just didn't have time to roll up generals, but I will when I get back around the 3rd (I'm going backpacking). See you then!

Leave a comment:

• Nimitz
    replied
    Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to Magyar Chieftain of Olomouc
    You have my word of honor that I shall not force you to convert. All I ask is that you do not hinder the priests in their work and duties.

Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to Lord Siemowit of the Polans
    I will gladly accept your gift the new serfs shall be very useful and while I do not yet know what I will do with the ship I am sure it will find a good use. As for Silesia I will cease to claim it as mine. It was a historical claim that I had no plans to act upon. I did not wish to harm the great friendship that had come to our two peoples. It gladens me though that you will be giving that land to our grandson.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Magyar Chieftain of Olomouc to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
    Very well! I shall accept your suzerainty under these conditions, and one more - I will not be forced to convert to your foreign faith. Accept that, and I will bow before you.

Lord Siemowit of the Polans to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
    Wonderful indeed that our houses are now allied through our children. I do not possess the coins highly valued by your people, but please accept this dowry of 100 able-bodied Pomeranian slaves, captured in war, as well as a fine longship given to me by the Varangian lord of Peremyshl.

Additionally, as Silesia - a land we now inhabit - was once yours, I declare that when the firstborn son of Wenceslaus and Chesna comes of age, a son of half Bohemian and half Polan blood, he shall inherit the lordship of Silesia as his own. I ask in return that you renounce your claims over Silesia until that day, to avoid any bickering between us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X