Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Micha
    Wow. That was... harsh.

So the Frisians expected cavalry, but the little they had proved ineffective due to terrain? Is the Count a fool or was is just bad luck with the weather?
    Not so much bad luck with the weather as bad luck with the terrain. Your commanders expected to be able to fight nearer to Groningen where the fields were less marshy; they didn't count on being intercepted in the middle of a peat bog, and the Count decided that it would be too damaging to morale to withdraw without engaging the enemy. More cavalry might have turned the tide if the battle had been fought on drier ground. An infantry slog with light polearm troops vs. vikings can really only end one way without an amazing stroke of luck.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

25 Berserkir (polearm, insanity)

I want to see a gigantic Magyar-Viking battle
      Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish_icarus

The real question is, can we hire those guys? Or do the Jomsvikings come with insanity too?
        "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
        phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
        three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Originally posted by foolish_icarus
          That may be more the province of CS NES

...though certainly Viking mercenaries are available.

The real question is, can we hire those guys? Or do the Jomsvikings come with insanity too?
          The Jomsvikings are elite, very disciplined, highly trained footmen; they do not enter berserkergang, a state of bloodthirsty fury. Berserkir are brave shock troops who work themselves into a frenzy with magical rituals, spirit possession, various herbs and drugs, or plenty of alcohol - and perhaps some blend of all of these. It is the opinion of most Christians that these men are simply possessed by demons. Even if they were readily available for recruitment, it is doubtful a Christian leader would risk taking the tremendous public relations hit of quite literally hiring servants of the Devil to do his work.

Historically, entering berserkergang became prohibited quite soon after Christianity became the predominant faith in the region.

EDIT: I just realized this wasn't a very good answer to your first question, "can we hire them." The answer is that, while they are not available for mercenary recruitment, it is conceivable that you could gain their use if they were provided to you by a friendly Viking lord. This is unlikely given the present diplomatic relations between the Germans and Vikings.
          Last edited by Cyclotron; January 12, 2007, 01:53.
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Anno Domini CMXXI

This year’s Pope: John X
            This year’s Emperor: Berengar I
            This year’s King: Heinrich I

Successions

There are no successions of note this year.

Family Business

Markgraf Burgund von Magdeburg, general of Saxony, has died of a heart attack. He will be missed by all loyal Saxons.

Heidolf von Dortmund, whose body was lost during the Battle of Tirol, has been found by a Bavarian scouting party – though not alive, and not in one piece. A handful of German prisoners from previous Magyar engagements have been found wandering over the border, apparently released by the Magyars not long after the reconquest of Vienna. They were discharged from Magyar custody only after being mutilated in ghastly ways, and given pieces of von Dortmund’s body to carry back to German territory. He was apparently crucified with one of the nails reported to be a relic, stolen from the Imperial baggage train, which the released prisoners also have in their possession.

Land und Leute

Few have any complaints this year; it was by all accounts average, save for fierce storms in the North Sea. Though the Vikings and English may have had some trouble with shipping, the Saxons and Frisians were largely unaffected.

Krieg und Frieden

Vienna has been liberated by the combined Imperial and German army. There were no signs of Gyula Levente’s troops; he seems to have withdrawn from the Mark entirely. Almost as soon as the combined army liberated Vienna, however, the Carinthian border was violated in force. Small groups of Magyar raiders have poured over the border spreading destruction – whereas most Magyar raids are focused on targets of profit, these raids seem focused on mayhem and destruction. Though the raiders have not actually challenged the Imperial-German army, they have dealt tremendous damage to what infrastructure remains in the Mark. The result has been that, while Vienna is secure, the rest of the country is in flames and no effective control exists anywhere outside the city walls. Apparently frustrated with the use of the Imperial Army as a garrison, and citing the continuing expense of fielding a force of its size, the Emperor has withdrawn his army from Carinthia and German Territory. The Burgundinians in Bavaria likewise withdrew as promised just before the onset of winter. One positive note is that Bavaria’s newly built border defenses seem to be effective in keeping these small raiding groups from penetrating any further into German territory.

The leader of the Polan tribe, Siemowit, has led the Polans to victory over the Slavic leader of Warszawa, conquering the region of Masovia to the east of their present domains. Though the Polans were already a large and dynamic tribe, it is believed that Saxon weapons have given them an even more significant edge over their neighbors.

Other News of Christendom

One of the supposedly holy nails found by an Italian fisherman has been returned to Christian hands. Though the Emperor doubtlessly would have claimed it himself, the departure of his army before the arrival of the released prisoners bearing the nail has led to the relic falling to the Duke of Bavaria. The location of the other nail found is unknown.

A planned meeting between the Kings of France and Germany to formally outline their borders and recognize each other’s sovereignty has collapsed over the issue of Friesland, chilling diplomatic relations between the two monarchs. The subsequent failure of Saxon forces to liberate Friesland has embarrassed King Heinrich I of Germany, whose efforts to show himself as Friesland’s rightful protector have rang hollow in the wake of the battle at Martenshoek. Duke Gilbert, ruler of Lotharingia and vassal of the French King, is rumored to be massing troops on the Frisian border, but has yet to issue any threats.

Swabia

Swabia’s contingent in Carinthia has continued to aid Duke Arnulf and his men, though they have yet to see combat in the March. Swabia has continued to manufacture arms and armor to equip their large army, but otherwise little has occurred within the Duchy. Magyar raids have dropped off dramatically since the ousting of the Gyula from Germany, though some still make their way to Swabia through Italy and the Alps.

Corruption in Swabia has remained constant at 16%.

Franconia

The Duke of Franconia has made a serious attempt to recover some of the unity lost in the wake of Conrad’s death. The Duke’s meetings with nobles, church officials, and others may have some impact on the situation in the Duchy, though real improvement may have to wait for implementation. Admittedly, problems exist: a skirmish between armsmen of von Mellrichstadt and von Ingelbeim in Mainz was only stopped when Herigar, the Archibishop of Mainz, personally intervened, and by then six men had already been killed. Nevertheless, the nobility is not all so committed to conflict, and the Duke’s agents have found that at least the Duke has strong loyalty from the clergy of his Duchy. More detailed reports have been relayed to him.

The Franconian army has met up with the Bavarians and Saxons at Vienna, and though tensions within the army are present, most levy soldiers are more interested in doing their service and going home than in aligning themselves with any noble feuds. They have yet to see action and seem in good spirits for now.

Corruption in Franconia has remained constant at 16%.

Bavaria

The Duchy has been abuzz with multiple building projects – fortifications, churches, and walls have all been built throughout Bavaria. Most have been successful, though the Duke’s men at Passau report that at least 100 more denarii will be necessary to complete the expansion of the chapel there.

Vienna has been transformed from a burned-out husk to an expansive armed camp, complete with a repaired ring wall, a chapel, and barracks facilities. Though the forethought in constructing barracks has paid off – the large numbers of troops stationed there would have been hard to deal with otherwise – the sheer number of forces there has severely taxed the resources of the Bavarians, who have been forced to ship massive quantities of supplies downriver (as Carinthia is unsecured and unproductive). A sustained military presence there of this size will require more expenditures for said supplies. Vienna itself is devoid of civilian life, save camp followers, and will need some effort to return to a productive, peaceful township.

The money provided for the development of Innsbruck, commanding the Brenner Pass, has helped the town to repair some of the damage from the recent Battle of Tirol, as well as attracting merchants through the pass that might have stayed closer to home otherwise. The local Ducal agent reports that some money might be well applied next year to repairing the Roman highway through the pass which fell into muddy disrepair centuries ago.

Von Leitbach has reported that the Roman onager, as well as its more current derivatives, is largely unsuitable for action against troops in the field. He has been looking into ballista designs to explore a lighter ballista, similar to the Roman “scorpion,” but believes that the engineering expertise of the Germans is simply insufficient to the task. He has recommended that foreign engineers be brought to assist him, especially Byzantines or others with experience in Roman siege technology.

Corruption in Bavaria has decreased by 1% this year, to 17%.

Carinthia, as it has not been recovered past a small parcel of land around the Danube and Vienna, is not represented in the stats this year.

Saxony

Saxony’s foreign affairs have suffered this year; not only has the defeat at Martenshoek reflected badly on the Saxon commanders, but the King appears to have been snubbed by the Emperor, who departed from Carinthia before Heinrich and his army could even arrive. The Saxon army, though in high spirits and well equipped, has yet to see action in Carinthia – the small bands of Magyar raiders have refused to face the German forces, and Carinthia is only under control along the Danube as far as Vienna.

The news is better on the domestic front. Though raids from the Wends and Danes continue to increase, the death of Grimmdolg at Martenshoek and the loss of several hundred Frisian Vikings has almost totally ended raids from Friesland into Saxony. The generous allocation of funds to road-building efforts has resulted in a serious expansion and upgrading of Saxony’s somewhat unimpressive road network. Though the secrets of Roman surveying and road-building have been lost, decent paved roads have been established between major cities and dirt roads have been widened and extended to all corners of the Duchy.

The granaries of Saxony are full, and well supplied for any future famine. Saxony’s sound agricultural policy has paid off before and may continue to prove its value if weather turns for the worse.

Corruption in Saxony remains constant at 8%.

Bohemia

Bohemia has continued to avoid warfare in these turbulent times, instead focusing on repairing years of war damage and investing in a homegrown flax industry. Roads have been expanded as well, especially important for a province which lacks Roman roads. The Bohemian army, reinforced with armor and hundreds of new knights and their retainers, now lies poised to strike into occupied Moravia from their fortified positions across the border from Brno. One worry for Bohemia has been increasing trouble from their other Slavic neighbors; while the Polans have maintained their peace with the realm, other minor tribes have stepped up their raids and migrations into Bohemian territory, displaced by Polan expansion. So far, the increasing disorder caused by these invasions has been counteracted by the expanding of Ducal authority into previously anarchic areas, but the problem shows no sign of abating.

Corruption in Bohemia has remained constant at 16%.

Friesland

The defeat of Frisian forces at Martenshoek, despite Saxon assistance, has damaged the rebellion and caused considerable doubt within the country as to whether the Count is a capable leader. Strategically, the Vikings are not in the best position; they are far less able to replenish their losses than the Germans or Frieslanders, and one of their warlords was slain at Martenshoek. The tactical defeat, however, has seriously eroded local authority and done nothing to help Friesland’s financial situation.

Corruption in Friesland has increased by 1%, to 14%.

Comment

Duke Vratislaus I of Bohemia to Siemowit of the Polans
              I wish to begin formal relations with your great people. In fact I would like to begin trade and discuss how to bring our mutual borders under control as it seems that a far number of slavs have started raiding into our lands. Your reply in the possitive would bring us much gladness. I will await what you have to say.
              Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
              Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
              President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Siemowit of the Polans to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
                I welcome peace with you and your house. We have no quarrel with you and do not seek one - your great chieftain, the Saxon king, is known to us and is considered a friend.

My people are a growing tribe, and need more land to support their families - alas, if other tribes seek respite in your lands, there is little I can do. I have no wish to make war upon you, but we are a free people and my subjects move as they see fit.

We would welcome trade with your people, especially for iron; we have much amber to trade, as well as some silver.
                Last edited by Cyclotron; January 12, 2007, 02:43.

Comment

You have need to fear that we are angry. We find that your people are among the most well behaved of all those that come into our lands, our concern is for those not of your people the ones that have caused problems for both of us.

Now we would ask exactly how much iron do you think you could use we have a large supply and can sell you a portion of it? Also we have Linen a fine cloth if you feel you have need for it.
                  Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                  President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Siemowit of the Polans to Duke Vratislaus I of Bohemia
                    We believe a trade of 200 of your iron for, say, 250 of our amber would be fair. We easily clothe ourselves; I can see no present need among us for your cloth, fine though it may be.

Comment

• I owe PMs to virtually every player that posted last round, so stand by.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Vartislaus I of Bohemia
                        My brother, a situation presents itself in which I believe we may be able to help one another. You have an excess of Slavic peoples migrating into your lands, and I have an entire Mark nearly depopulated by Magyars. I suggest that you might suggest to your peaceable Slavic settlers that land aplenty is available to those who would move south to claim it.

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Emperor Berengar I
                        At this news of your departure from German lands, I would thank you for your assistance these past two years and hope that we might work together successfully in future. Should you find it in your heart to offer any continued aid to Germany in the years to come, even a small contingent of Imperial troops (even as few as a single thousand) would be an immense help in securing Carinthia as a buffer between the heathen Magyars and your own Italy.
                        "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                        phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                        three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Emperor Berengar I to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                          You are welcome, but your request is regrettably impossible. Italy requires my complete attention at this time.

Additionally, I am told that you have one of the holy nails I recovered in your possession. I would appreciate its immediate return.
                          Last edited by Cyclotron; January 12, 2007, 14:45.

Comment

• I believe all PMs have been... well, PMed. If I owe you further messages please notify me.

I have only a few more days at home before I fly back to college on Sunday. In the interest of spending these last few days with my family, I will not be completing the update until my return to school, at which point I will attempt to complete it before Tuesday.

Comment

• Duke Vartislaus I of Bohemia to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                              Your idea intrigues us while I can not say whether the slavs will move I will attempted to convince them to do so. It sounds like it might solve both of our problems.

We would be agreeable to that infact we will go with 200 d of iron for 240 d of amber as a token for the beginning of our new relations.
                              Last edited by Nimitz; January 14, 2007, 01:13.

Comment

• Giovanni Wine has not posted at Apolyton since 09-27-06 and has missed two updates. I've decided to re-open his spot for anyone else who wishes to join (no offense Giovanni, but we've got to keep moving). I know bipolarbear is around, so if he's reading this he'd better drop by to make sure he does not suffer... a similar fate.

Edit:

While I'm on it, I'd like to point out that New Year's Day was the first anniversary of this NES. In the spirit of constant improvement, I'd like to welcome anyone who has a comment or suggestion regarding the NES or how I run it to tell me what they think! I'd prefer any comments in a PM to avoid cluttering up this thread any further, but if there are any ideas to consider I'll post them in another thread. I'd like to hear from you if you have ideas, constructive criticisms, and so on.

Edit2:

Map updated! The return of Carinthia, French cities, and some more tweaks.
                                Last edited by Cyclotron; January 14, 2007, 03:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X