Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of units required

Originally posted by Jeremy Buloch
    No they aren't they are helping you practice.
    Well I guess they are kinda useless to the project.
    Do some game graphics of units.
    -J.B.-
    OK, it's undisputed mention what units will be 3D models crafted in .3ds file format. Not especialy funny format, but it will do.
    So I, among other StPDT artists (anybody home?), need several things to know. Not a lot of things, though.
    1) How moving parts of the units must be handled (distinct tri-mesh chunks in the only .3ds, different .3ds etc)
    2) Texture format (.png, .tga or any other loseless. Or possible lossy?)
    3) Texture palletes? How units of different factions will be "colored" (specific texture index, rectangular patch with faction logo somewhere etc.)
    4) Texture size (256x256, 512x512 etc).
    5) Texture mapping: UV is the best, but some parts may require more simplistic view; also, texture mapping for multipart units (single atlas or multiple)
    6) Some prototype animation (not for 0.0.1-alpha version, of course, but start thinking about this)

And, last but not least, what units must be created ASAP for game consistency (may be not especialy fancy, like placeholders for the future fore broad range of units).
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Does this ignorance mean that StP currently requires no unit models?
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.

Comment

There's no ignorance, Targon. Replies don't always come within the first minutes or hours after the thread was posted.

1. No comments. Someone else who knows that better could suggest something.
      2. PNG images. This has been decided previously as stated a few months ago.
      3. Hmm... I don't have any answer to this one.
      4. This is solemly up to the graphics team.
      5. I guess it's agreed then, unless someone has something better to propose on that one.
      6. That would give a better idea the models, IMO. BTW, the version numbering goes like this:
      alpha versions ... Alpha 1-x
      beta versions ... 0.1-0.x
      stable versions ... 1.x-1.x
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
        There's no ignorance, Targon. Replies don't always come within the first minutes or hours after the thread was posted.
        Er... days? This thread was started 14.01. OK, never mind.
        The thing I suspect to recieve is something like "light tank, heavy tank, IFV, MRLS, APC, naval carrier, .... .... .... "

Comment

oh you want to what kind of units we need?
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Yes, I the game without units will look strange, isn't it?

Comment

duh well maybe start with a colonization unit? and simple garrison units? but i dont have a clue about how they look like
              Bunnies!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

What garrison units, BTW? I've seen some people in the StPDT list entitled "writers"; possible, they have a clue. I need't especialy detailed explanations, just a unit list with (it's good while not required) short suggestions on their general outlook ("15 m length heavy tank with two turrets and something missile-launcing" would be nice)

Comment

ah ok give me a day and i will have some of those ready....come back tonight or tomorrow and i will some
                  Bunnies!

Comment

As I'm away for the weekend, I'll have time too, so I'll try to come up with some unit descriptions too. I'll also try poking a few of the other graphics artists as we need them to wake up too. Hopefully Blake could also come up with his ideas and wishes.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

What? We do have other graphics artists? (*targon peeking into sourceforge page*) Wow! Lot of people! Poke them, Rasblelin, I can't do this alone.
                      BTW, these guys has missed couple of interesting conversations, including model format case study and some others. This lazyness delays development of the StP a lot. I think that StP is getting old for its progress level.
                      OK, folks, thanks for feedback. Merry weekend.

Comment

/me pokes them by e-mail.

Hopefully they understand the importance of this work.

Comment

Look in the Unit think tank thread and it will provide some units but I dont have any time now so I cant provide the descriptions to all of them. Maybe later.
                          -J.B.-
                          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Garrison patrol

Consist out of 5 to 10 standard soldiers. Armed with standard 12mm high powered semi automatic weapons. Light padded body armor. One squad leader and one comminations officer stand out among the other soldiers.

Job-description:
                            Protect base region that they are stationed in against outside attack and act as police force when necessary.

reckon flyer

this is a light prop aircraft with up front a big bulb for the pilot and 3 observers. It has on its back an big radar, and on its belly it has equipment to make 3d maps and observe ground configuration. It has no armor or weapons. Data is directly transmitted to nearest military command.

Job-description:
                            it is used to extent air radar cover outside populated areas. It has besides that also the ability to map newly found land and sea while also doing a preliminary survey of the ground configuration especially looking for valuable water springs and minerals deposits. Extensive ground surveys need to be done by a geological survey team. It doesn’t have any weapons or armor

geological survey team
                            it is a semi wheeled truck filled with a team of experts on ground analysis. The truck itself has all the equipment onboard to fully survey the surroundings. Such as a drill and seismic ground analyzer. It also have limited mapmaking abilities. They can work fully independent of any command center and will work very fast. It doesnt have any defensive capabilities

Job-description:*
                            before the ground can be used at utmost efficiency you will need to know what the ground is made of. A geological survey team will study just that. It makes detailed reports about what the ground is made up of. It also searched for anomalies in the ground configuration. Like underground springs and mineral deposits. It cant give any information about native flora and fauna except if about ground fertility.

biological survey team*
                            it is a wheeled truck filled with a team of experts on flora and fauna. It has its own laboratory onboard to analyze samples. It also has 2 armed guards to protect it self against small threats but is has no armor. They can work fully independent of any command center and will work very fast.

Job-description:
                            to know something about native flora and fauna you will need this teams. It can get precise information about plant life and also about animals

* could mixed them up into one unit
                            Bunnies!

Comment

communications satellite

headquarters unit (must have 1 per army)

tactical fighter

basic infantry

light vehicle

tank

theatre ballistic missile

a bunch of other basic, modern-day stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X