Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing link!

Thanks!

Actually i have ToT for about two days now....
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
      Amazing link!

Thanks!
      I hope that refers to the full URL it should have been, not the faulty link I posted.

Actually i have ToT for about two days now....
      Aha... Then CSPL would be very interesting. If you didn't know already, you can download it here:
      http://coc.apolyton.net/utilities/index.shtml (among undoubtedly more places)...
      You'll also need Borland's C++ compiler
      This link might work (and it more likely doesn't... in that case follow the instructions in the CSPL documentation):
      ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/bcpp...dLinetools.exe
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
        The Christian basilica is a church based on the model of a Roman basilica, so that was what you were thinking of.
        Correct in part, but more (maybe too much more) is that a Christian basilica in not simply a church modeled after the Roman buildings, but rather it is a church that (under special circumstances) can grant pilgrims indugences (NOT the pre-Reformation "get out of Hell free" kind). Minor basilicas are numerous and are tied to one of the seven Major Basilicas, six of which are in Rome. The seventh is in Assisi...just FYI.

Comment

Leaders and Civs(final. I think)

i)Romans-Constantine
          ii)Persians-Chosroes
          iii)Franks-Charlemagne or Clovis
          iv)Arabs-Muhamed
          v)Slavs-Vladimir of Kiev or Symeon
          vi)Germanics(or Germans)-Barbarosa?
          vii)Turkics-Osman? Kilidj Aslan?

The Mongols and others (Armenians etc.) will be represented by barbarians.

Any comments?
          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Comment

iv)Arabs-Muhamed

I might be crazy and care-free, but I'd go with "Mohammed" or "Muhammad" myself.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Hmm... yes wrong spelling, thank you.

Comment

Muhammad is more correct, but in Polish it is Mahomet for example and I think it's not wrong.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Who cares!

Just need your opinion on the specific leaders, not on their spelling. I was looking to have generic civ leaders, not of a specific time period.

P.S Heresson did you get the e-mail about th EU?

Comment

Empire map

Alright, you asked about the map i was going to use. This is a map of the empire of the 3rd Century AD(about the time my scenario will start).
                      Attached Files

Comment

I did get the mail, thanks.
                        When it comes to map, Germanic lands did not extend that much to the east - except for the temporary Goth
                        pass.

When it comes to leaders, I'd like Symeon for Slavs
                        more than W³odzimierz.
                        Middle East!

Comment

Well Palaiologos, I have an idea about freeing the Russian Civ slot: When the Viking raids start, event-flood Russia with Barbarian Viking units. Or have a trigger to allow them to appear randomly farther north. Now when its time for the Christianisation of the Kievan Rus (or when a Cyrilus and Methodius Mission tech is acquired) have byzantine settlers+ Varangarians appear say near Kiev, Moscow and Novgorod. Here is the catch: make an event whence for every Viking the Byzantines kill, they get a Varangarian on the spot (Russia & Ukraine), possibly with a price penalty. Use the axe- wieldind Rus and Swedes to defend the Russian lands (agains the Mongol Invasion that approaches) and ferry any surplus units to Costantinople, via the Black Sea. This way you depict a) Russian Slavo-Nordic heritage b) Russian Orthodox culture c) Varangarian guard recruitment d) a Russian specific unit e) Czarist (Czar is Caesar after all) aspirations to become the third Rome after the "Vasilevousa" collapses and a window for the Eastern Roman player to keep playing "historically" after 1453 (there are, of course religious/political implications with this choice) and f) You don't have to set a separate Russian civ. This here is a Varangarian I made by patching up body parts from Bernd Brosings Byzantines. What do you think?
                          Attached Files
                          "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                          -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                          "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                          "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

I dislike the idea - that would suggest that silly Russian
                            claims were true.
                            Middle East!

Comment

Well Heresson, it just fits the game mechanics nicely, I think. I am aware of the political implications (and a bit uneasy too) as I already said. I have overexhausted the Polish Russophobia/ Russian Anti-Polish frenzy issue with a Polish co-student of mine and haven't heard from her since. Just Joking. But I never called her ideas silly, my friend.
                              Byzantine Greeks looked up to the Russians during the Turkish occupation because of this sense of cultural kinship. Ivan I got married to the last Byzantine Princess, Sophia Palaiologina (niece of Costantine Palaiologos that started this thread) to establish his dynastic claim. The Polish saved western Europe from the Ottomans, no doubt about that.
                              "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                              -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                              "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                              "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Ivan I got married to the last Byzantine Princess, Sophia Palaiologina (niece of Costantine Palaiologos that started this thread)
                                Primo, the title of Roman emperor was sold by members of
                                imperial family to several mights in the west; Sofia was a catholic and was sent to Moscow by the pope; soon even this dinastical connection broke, as her descendants were
                                overthrown. Dotter of Sofia was wife of our king - does it mean we can claim we are descendants of Byzantine Empire too? Especially that up till some time, it were Poles not Russians to be expected to liberate Balkans by its Slavs.
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X