Welcome To Bitterfrost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super scenario! Great work!
    "You should count all humans as your kinfolk and the whole world as your foster country."
    - Queen Kristina

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
      I think the fact that the harpies are flyers is making the AI restrict them from builidng more cities.

But making them ground dwellers sort of defeats their purpose...
      How about domain 3?

I was toying with the idea of removing the Undead ability to make cities, and make them a solely military force...
      Would this be wise?

Not unless there's still some way to defeat them. But a regular attack shouldn't really be able to defeat them in the first place, considering they're undead.

So maybe you could create some sort of a special quest (a special unit to kill, wonder to build, city to capture or so) that would either make them disappear, or make them mortal again.
      (have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean?)

I haven't played the scenario by the way.

@Asmodean: It requires MGE.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

/me realises he forgot to bring his Civ2 CD with him to uni

"Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Errr....Curt, you have made the "Just Once" trigger apply to the "Change money" event too.....

when an urzit village is killed that is....
          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
          Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

@Pericles:
            Worry not, that is fixed for the next zip.

@Mercator:
            Interesting idea, about the undead fighting to be freed from undeath...

I forgot about domain 3, I will give it a try...Good call!
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am also thinking of restricting government changing.

As the AI are carrying out chaotic government changes that make no sense...

Also the Undead and Ancients are meant to stay necormantic.

And somehow, tribal council does not fit the Crusaders...

I know you still get the chance to change governments when you find Monarchy and Mercantilism, etc.

So you could change then, but if you miss the chance, tough luck!

Comment

I have uncovered a new and very crappy bug.

I think it has similarities to the infmaous muskeeter/knight bug,
                in that a unit gets removed from the AI build list, if a more capable unit is available.

But this is happening with the Settlers!

So this means various civs are unable to even build any cities...INSANE!

Also I feel I should recreate the map for this scen...As the current one has large flaws.

I want to make a new map, that gives the competing colonists the chance to really get going.

As it is, it is hardly fair.

I need a large island map along the same dimensions and format, but with better terrain for all.

I also want to revise the role of the undead, and make them more of a threat than a mere neighbour!

Also, the Ancients are hardly the terror they are meant to be...I am going to go and devise a new cunning plan.

I think their tech advances will be triggered by city capture events.

Both super NPCs for both races are going to be made uber-hardcore!

And a new way to kill both evil civs is in the works...

So, if anyone is playtesting, please continue and relay any suggestions here, so I can adopt them.

For now, I am going map-hunting!

Comment

Make the map alittle smaler.

Maby the player culd build new walls? And maby even destroy old walls.
                  "You should count all humans as your kinfolk and the whole world as your foster country."
                  - Queen Kristina

Comment

I second Mr anderrson on the map size.

In my game even the AI eventually got tired of expanding!!
                    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

/me is also rooting for a much smaller map
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

This is a very addictive scenario, congratulations Curt!

I am playing as the Bursars with the original upload files and the undead are quite well established on the north-eastern sub-island with a dozen cities or so by the fifth year. At least the coven and the crusade are building cities of their own, a handfull each, so things may turn out different.

Discovery:
                        However, just because I am always a fan the naval approach to things, I noticed that ships sailing from the east coast end up in the west coast= the map isn't flat, and Bitterfrost isn't actualy an island but a mini planet with poles on the north and south. This goes for the latest upload as well. Kinda funny.

Fix: Open the scenario file with civtweak and tick the "flat map" box.

How to make the undead more agressive, fast and easy:
                        Add a Necromanic spell to raise skeleton armies from their slain enemies.
                        In CIV terms, create an event by which, for every enemy unit they kill, they get a free skeleton.
                        Or, being undead, some of their units are reanimated at the Lich'es castle, if they get killed, followed by a suitable spooky message ("return to undeath...death to the living etc.)

Are people building navies in this scen? Add an incentive:
                        The Imperion is sending supplies (Ships of Barb nationality) to its vassal colonies. If the player civs intercept them, they get a money bonus. So they have to maintain a fleet, and keep it afloat in the brine.

The colonies are still Imperion's vassals. Remember Hispaniola by Alex Morr? Add a random event by which the Imperion comes to collect taxes from its three vassals. The sum is deduced from their treasury, and then they may "kiss his royal pinkie"...

Why not?
                        "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                        -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                        "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                        "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Excellent ideas Timoleon!

That undead rising is particulary sound!It can very well solve the undead non aggression thing!

Comment

Looking great, Curt.

I converted it over to ToT, but haven't had a chance to play it, yet. I suspect your beta updates will outstrip the pace of my conversions, anyway.
                            Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Curt, tell me again why you don't write novels or something? You've got the coolest ideas! I'm not big on fantasy, but you're scenarios never cease to amaze me.

Comment

@Art of War: Many thanks!

@Catfish:
                                Now that you mention it, I have been making a ToT version...Fancy helping me with some terrain or your amazing effects?

If you are too busy, it is cool, but otherwise, this could be a good scen to increase support for ToT!

@Tanelorn:
                                I think you have inspired me! Those are some fine ideas!

An annual tax of a few hundred gold may be fun!

I love the boat idea...They could even be bucaneers, came to prey on the new colonies...

Superb!

And I am think you all may like the new map I am making!

Comment

Working...
                                X