Getting Cities to Appear Correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*SHOCK! AMAZEMENT!*

You mean that you're NOT saving as scenario whenever you make changes?!?!?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Hmmmm.
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Good to see you, FMK!
      Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
      Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
      POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
      LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Exile, no, never! My thoughts were that saving as a scenario was only trhe final step. If you always save as a scenario, I would think that player 1's science and money accumulation would increase every time they 'start' the scenario.

I have always saved as... well, sav. 4000bc still.

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
          don't be scared.. tell us the truth and we're all yours. you know that
          "Peace cannot be kept by force.
          It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

True. However . . . .

While it's true that saving as scenario will advance the time flow, it has its advantages when one works with the ingame editors. Apparently most despise these editors, but because I was more fearful of trying to work with the text files, I persevered with the editors and learned their quirks. The final thing that I do when completing a scenarion is to set the date and turn, and then set up the political situation. Just saving a game doesn't quite work to save certain things done with some of the editors. Saving as scenario freezes things like saving doesn't. No idea why. Not all the editors work the same way. I've got a book around here somewhere that describes the quirks--somebody else worked it out before I came along. I think it was John Possidente's guide to Civ2 scenario building.
            Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

That's right. "Save As Scenario" is needed for the scenario parameters stuff. Otherwise I just save the game, until I need to finalize the scn. file.
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

You can also load a scenario just like a savegame.
                Just select "Load a (Saved) Game", change the filename in the open dialog from *.sav to *.scn and you'll see scenarios.

It loads just like any other savegame.

The only difference, I think, with saving the game is that you have to turn the cheat menu back on.

This might be handy, as saving as a scenario apparently has some advantages... or in case you lost your savegame and starting the scenario normally screws things up badly (think Red Front after one turn).
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: True. However . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
                  Just saving a game doesn't quite work to save certain things done with some of the editors. Saving as scenario freezes things like saving doesn't.
                  Perhaps this may help me? Perhaps the city styles and tribe/leader names are truly 'saved' when you use the editors, then save as a scenario.

Not only have I been experienceing resets with the city styles, but also a number of leader names and tribe names are getting myseriously reset too. Maybe I'll try this other technique.

Mercator, if I rename the .sav file suffix to .scn, then what is the difference between that file and a genuine .sav? In other words, is there a difference in the information stored in these two filetypes?

Thanks eveyone.

Comment

That's not the cause of your tribe/king problem Rob, if save files would reset king and tribe names then we wouldnt be able to load savegames from scenarios without that happening.
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

shutup!

Comment

I aim to please
                        Last edited by Henrik; August 17, 2003, 14:58.
                        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Re: Re: True. However . . . .

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
                          Not only have I been experienceing resets with the city styles, but also a number of leader names and tribe names are getting myseriously reset too. Maybe I'll try this other technique.
                          Are you using the in-game scenario editors? Those change the rules.txt, right? You should also use the "Edit King" dialog in the cheat menu to change everything.

When you start a game, all leader names, tribe names and adjectives are loaded from the then used rules into your savegame. If you change the rules afterwards (manually or by using the editors) the game will still keep using the names stored in the savegame.
                          The only way to change the names stored in the savegame is through Cheat > Edit King > Edit Name.

An alternative is to edit your rules before you start the game in the first place. That way the right values will be loaded from the start.

Mercator, if I rename the .sav file suffix to .scn, then what is the difference between that file and a genuine .sav? In other words, is there a difference in the information stored in these two filetypes?
                          That's a good question, but I don't know the answer for sure...
                          A quick comparison shows only 5 bytes are different, one is a known scenario flag.
                          This scenario flag is what makes sure the cheat menu is off again.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

And your problem with the city styles might just be the other way around. Set the styles both in the rules, and using CivTweak.

CivTweak will adjust the style of the human player, the editors/rules.txt will adjust the style of the non-human players.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: True. However . . . .

Originally posted by Mercator

Are you using the in-game scenario editors? Those change the rules.txt, right? You should also use the "Edit King" dialog in the cheat menu to change everything.
                              Yes, I am using the 'Edit King' feature soley for the tribe/leader names. Genrally I stay as far away from the ingame editors as possible.

When you start a game, all leader names, tribe names and adjectives are loaded from the then used rules into your savegame. If you change the rules afterwards (manually or by using the editors) the game will still keep using the names stored in the savegame.
                              The only way to change the names stored in the savegame is through Cheat > Edit King > Edit Name.
                              Right! This is why it is so confusing to me! I have been changing names only with the Edit King thingy as stated above.

An alternative is to edit your rules before you start the game in the first place. That way the right values will be loaded from the start.
                              Yes, I have noticed that after starting, manually editing Rules.txt has no effect. But once again it seems that the game wants to revert to the defaults even after using the editor. Whats worse, is that it sometimes changes leader names, usually changes tribe names, and sometimes changes all but ne civ's worth of data.

Odd happenings, much like the favourite "Franklin Roosevelt attack near London!" type popup messages for missile attacks.

Comment

I would stick with just Rules.Txt editing unless there is a major reason not to.
                                Visit First Cultural Industries
                                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                                X