Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Cities to Appear Correctly

Greetings,

What am I missing involving the appearance of cities in a scenario. One can set them, especially using civtweak, to avoid the traditional tech-based methods of getting to the higher or more advanced city slots, but even then there appears to be more.

It seems that the view of the human player somehow has a hand in the appearance of cities. I have set civs up to their corresponding city types, but only when viewing the map as certain (and of course the non-himan) civ do things appear properly. However, only some of the civs are involved. Some of them are taking their designations straight away, without issue. Others are blatantly ignoring their civtweak settings when viewed by the intended human civ.

Setting the protagonist doesn't seem to have any effect.

I have cities which definately need to have particular looks, and am at a loss as to what to do further, any ideas?

Thanks again,

-FMK.

i think you just have to set their tech levels. deny the one of the four tech advance techs to each of the civs....i think one of them if electricity, i can't remember the rest, but whenever you research it, it makes your cities change...

Comment

Thats what I mean by the traditional way... I am pretty certain that civtweak is able to make these settings w/o using the tech method. :-/

-FMK.

Comment

Do you really need the two slots from industrialization and automobile that badly? If you'd make them techs with "no, no" prerequisites you'd dodge the whole problem at the cost of two technologies, which you can probably make up for with plumbing and U1-X7 or whatever the last extra tech is. This is just me talking, but it makes more sense than messing around with editors.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Techs are necessary for Industrial and Modern cities. I learned that the hard way.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I think something if definately wrong. I managed to use the in-game editors to 'temporarily' solve the problem of a civ using the ancient/classical style. It worked, I saved. Reloaded, its gone. Grrr.

Comment

So, are you back FMK? Or am I just jumping to conclusions again?
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Don't know whether this is common, but I've seen the same city change its style when you change the view or the human player via the cheat menu. No techs were edited and nothing changed via CivTweak. In fact I did nothing but press shift-F3 or shift-F2. In this example, the top city shows when the AI civ that owns the city is selected; the bottom when the human civ is selected.

[Edit] Welcome back FMK!
                Attached Files
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

@ Boco, yeah that is quite common, and was really the reason I spotted the cities being wrong or odd in the first place... I then made sure I was viewing as the intended human player, and still saw problems.

In particular, I cannot seem to get these things to stick. Even without going into the editors, simply loading a file seems to cause some undesired effects. I cannot seem to keep leader/ tribe names and adjectives to stick either. I PMed yaroslav about this and he is looking in to the file.

I think it could be part Civ (or civ editor) wierdness and part corrupted sav file. Not sure just yet.

@ techumseh, yeah I suppose, though I wouldn't really say I ever left.

Here's the idea I am trying to achieve... more trial and error fiddling involved, I think I have it. For a time. What I have noticed is that the barbarian city type (which is set by setting the 'Romans' civ in the in game editor [even if they aren't in the scen at all]) seems to affect what civs will actually display their proper city gfx. Strange.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey Rob, welcome back

This must mean you are working on scenarios again?
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I think someone is going to complete the Blitz!
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
                        @ techumseh, yeah I suppose, though I wouldn't really say I ever left.
                        *Reports FMK for having a DL*
                        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Hi Fairline, Case, Curt, et al.

Problem still affecting me. Posted that screenie after having gotten it right, only to find them reset later. Still not sure what the problem is. Rules.bak keps poping up for no reason so I think i could have some kind of overactive in-game editors. This is why I prefer to use utilities and text editors instead of the in-game garbage.

I just hope that I can set them right before saving as a scenario, and they will stick then.

@Curt, nope not the Blitz.

Comment

the final gigamap version of lebensraum1939? *cross fingers*
                            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X