No announcement yet.

Question for ancient navy experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Stefan, yes, Hanno´s voyage sounds very good, please send the map to me.

And you are right, it´s the same scn. It´s name was Imperium Romanum from the beginning on, but the ZIP file I sended to the German Civ Page was named Antike, and so Willi thought that this was also the scn name...
    However, not really a problem.
    Blah

Comment

BeBro: I'll send the map as soon as I can scan it. Right now my scanner is blocked because I needed some room to put my books on which I had to take out of my shelf in order to re-place it
      Coastal fortifications.... well, as far as I know these existed mainly in the large maritime cities: Carthage, Tyros, Alexandria, Rhodes, Syracuse etc. But yes, since I use them regularily in my scenarios...
      It could also be called "harbor blockade". These were more common than real coastal fortifications, since they were easier to set up, often more effective and built up in minimum of time.

What I would love to see is a pre-punic war scenario about the relations between Rome and Carthage that makes use of the Carthaginian-Roman naval area that makes it impossible for Roman ships to pass through Carthaginian territory (invisible units would do the trick).

------------------
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
      -Mao Tse-Tung
      God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
      much screwed that whole idea..
      -Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
      Follow the masses!

Comment

Actually, i'm planning to use that trick in order to prevent Kok-Turks from invading Tibet...

[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited July 08, 2000).]
        "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
        "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

I just found at this phoenician site in the voyages section a quite good map of some ancient sea voyages...

It shows that the largest voyage was ordered by Necho II., an Egyptian pharaoh (610-595): His men are told to have been the first to circumnavigate Africa.
          But, of course he was no Carthaginian...
          In my own scenario I've also been using Hanno's Voyage for ages, so you don't have to change this .
          (I couldn't display it here, because it has been split up in too many factions in order to enforce referrals to the main site)
          [This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited July 08, 2000).]
          Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

just ignore it
            I hope you didn't see it...
            [This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited July 08, 2000).]
            Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

wow. that's really cool.

Comment

Ingo, this Phoenician site is great!
                It should appear in Hendrik´s Civ Ressources (but I think he´s on Holiday at the moment).

Blah

Comment

Maybe i'll put it in my favourite sites list... once i'll have finished to work on mine.
                  "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                  "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SCDARS on 07-08-2000 04:37 PM
                    just ignore it
                    I hope you didn't see it...

what do you mean, SCDARS?

Comment

For everyone living in Germany or having access to German TV, I saw a very good documentation about the search for the tomb of Alexander the Great on ZDF. Next week they're having Carthage (Sunday, 19:30, ZDF).
                      Just a quick note for anyone interested.

------------------
                      Follow the masses!

-Mao Tse-Tung
                      -Onepaul

Follow the masses!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel on 07-09-2000 03:46 PM
                        the search for the tomb of Alexander the Great ...

Too bad i live in Italy, i can't view that .

Comment

Good hint Stefan, I´ve seen some minutes of the Alex the Great thing, and waiting for the Carthage part next week.
                          Blah

Comment

quote:

Too bad i live in Italy, i can't view that .

This is someting that goes through the news all the time.
                            An Egyptian archaeologist said that he knows where the tomb lies: On the latin cementary of Alexandria. They have found a tomb that is in some way similar to Macedonian ones.

Right now there are three theories: One by that Egyptian, one by somebody else, and one by some German geologists who have found a large room below a cementary in Alexandria by using their geological instruments.
                            I personally doubt that they will find it anywhere in modern Alexandria. They should look either in Siwa, or in the sea infront of Alexandria.

------------------
                            Follow the masses!

-Mao Tse-Tung
                            -Onepaul

Follow the masses!

Comment

Damn you, Tolomeus Ist Soter...
                              And thanks, Stefan.

------------------
                              Ave atque vale...

Comment

Working...
                              X