My (not really secret) project ;-)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St.Leo: Isometric? Not really...

DarthVeda: An Athlon 650 isn´t enough for Imperium Romanum 2.0, you need 1 GHz...

Shadowstrike: Yes, 386BC is definately the start year. This is also a good reason to start only with a few improvements in Rome, because the rest had been destroyed by the Gauls.

Stefan, I´ll mail you the units within the next two weeks (Currently, ca. 75% are finished), ok?
    I´ve lots of history books, some of them are really excellent, but only a few of them have good pics of ancient warriors (mostly Greeks and Romans, but no Macedonians or Persians and so on)...
    [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited July 15, 2000).]
    Blah

Comment

WOW the screenshot looks really great!!

this seems to become at least as good as Cross&Crescent. At least one scenario creator who manages it to make good scenarios. most of the new ones suck.
      as the Apolyton Scenario does. sorry, WarVoid, but I expected more than that.

Bernde: Will you make an English version or will I have to translate this, too?

Comment

Ok BeBro i've sended you the e-mail; hope this i'll help you in your efforts. Please don't remove my first letters ( the GD ones ) from pics...
        Best regards

------------------
        Ave atque vale...
        "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
        "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Thanks Prometeus, I received your pic. Nice! But I wouldn´t use your units directly, but use them as a help to create my own units. Creating graphics (especially units) is, in my eyes, the most fun in the entire scenario making for me...
          I hope this doesn´t disappoint you?

Andz, your help is welcome...aber wir haben noch genug Zeit!
          [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited July 15, 2000).]
          Blah

Comment

Glad i could help you, BeBro.
            Huh i forgot to tell you... i buy a scanner today. Great!!! I payed only 101 €, a very low price here in Italy.

------------------
            Ave atque vale...
            [This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited July 15, 2000).]
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

quote:

I´ve lots of history books, some of them are really excellent, but only a few
              of them have good pics of ancient warriors (mostly Greeks and Romans, but
              no Macedonians or Persians and so on)...

Yes, it's damn hard to find Macedonian and Persian pictures. Thing is that the Macedonians (especially under Alexander) did not really have any purpose for making pictures of themselves.
              It is easier to find Persian ones though. The Greek vases aren't so reliable -they show only ones in northern Iranian horsemen's clothing- and the Persian bas-reliefs show the persian soldiers only in their ceremonial dress (ever noticed that the Persians have never pictured themselves in battle?)- but we have extensive Hellenic descriptions about the look of Persian soldiers. They are also very, very reliable, because they often match with the stuff shown on Persian bas-reliefs.

BTW, any books you can recommend me?

------------------
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
              -Mao Tse-Tung
              God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
              much screwed that whole idea..
              -Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
              Follow the masses!

Comment

Ok Stefan, just tell me if my newly buyed scanner works good or not... The pic is early macedonian phalanx ( Philippus II 's times, at Cheronea's battle ).

------------------
                Ave atque vale...

Comment

Stefan, for general info about ancient history I use two books by H.Bengtson:
                  1. "Griechische Geschichte"
                  2. "Römische Geschichte - von den Anfängen bis in die Kaiserzeit"
                  They are very good to get an overview about Greek/Roman history. However, they don´t offer many technical details I need for creating units and they are without pics.
                  For such details like units, buildings, ships and so on I use a "Lexikon der Antike" (different authors). This book is great, with many b/w illustrations and a few photos and lots of A-Z topics about ancient history, but unfortenately also mostly about Greek/Roman things.
                  The same goes for A.Neuburgers "Die Technik des Altertums" (A reprint from 1919...deshalb teilweise etwas merkwürdig formuliert, für unsere Verhältnisse).
                  I also use three or four Pic Atlases, most of them have only poor info, but good pics and maps.

For my units: all my Persian units (for instance the second unit from the left in the preview) are created with the help of Hollywood. I´ve seen an old movie about Alex the Great, with Richard Burton as Alexander, (the movie wasn´t really good, but it had nice costumes) and another (bad) movie about Persians...
                  Blah

Comment

Is that "Lexikon der Antike" that one from the DDR? It's really good and helped me a lot (a bit outdated, though).

I have seen that Alexander movie. I thought that it was a treat for the eye, but inaccurate. And too much time spent in Greece and too little in Central Asia

Was that other Persian movie that French-Italian coproduction that was supposed to be about the battle at Marathon? I shoutet out in pain when I saw it! Not only was it terribly made, but also definately not about Marathon! (They did not even have the famous Marathon Run in it-or was that supposed to be the horse ride from Athens to Sparta?)

------------------
                    Follow the masses!

-Mao Tse-Tung
                    -Onepaul

Follow the masses!

Comment

Hy Stefan got my phalanx pic?

------------------
                      Ave atque vale...

Comment

Stefan, yes it´s the same Lexikon.

I also see this Marathon "movie" (arrgh!), but I mean another one. It plays only in Persia and goes mainly about Xerxes and his jewish (?) wife. This movie wasn´t as bad as the Marathon thing, but bad enough!

Ok, now it´s time for me to do some work on the scn...
                        Blah

Comment

BTW, Erwan was in the process of making a Byzantine city graphic a couple of months ago. He showed me what he had done and it kicked posterior, but I guess he never got around to fully finishing it.

Erwan
                          Erwan's Site

------------------
                          St. Leo
                          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                          [This message has been edited by St Leo (edited July 16, 2000).]
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I have uploaded some pictures: The maps I had promised you, BeBro, and some Persians that were painted on Greek vases (and a picture I have found in some computer game).

BeBro: Was the movie about Xerxes called "Das Schwert von Persien" or "Esther"? I have seen the latter and must say that it isn't that bad... compared to other Bible movies I have seen this one was the best

Prometeus: Yes, I got it. Thank you very much!

Oops, almost forgot: Here are the URL's (Free to pick up for anyone): http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Karten.zip http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Perser.zip

------------------
                            Follow the masses!

-Mao Tse-Tung
                            -Onepaul

Follow the masses!

Comment

Thanks for pics and map, Stefan, especially the map is great!

I don´t remember the exact title of the Persia movie, but I think that was the one you mean. BTW, today I saw that Carthago TV thing, it hadn´t much new facts for me, but the animation of Carthage´s seaport (including the Big Arsenal, Prometeus ) was very inspirating.

St.Leo, I know Erwan´s site (and his great graphics), but a Byzantine city style isn´t what I need...
                              Blah

Comment

Glad i could help you, Stefan...

------------------
                                Ave atque vale...

Comment

Working...
                                X