No announcement yet.

My (not really secret) project ;-)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that show was really good. I couldn't see and hear too much of the Hanno stuff, but I especially found that religion part very interesting (it was kinda scary, eh?)

------------------
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
    -Mao Tse-Tung
    God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
    much screwed that whole idea..
    -Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
    Follow the masses!

Comment

A link and a some "random" ideas http://members.aol.com/TeacherNet/AncientRome.html
      1)In consideration of the importance of salt for the conservation of food what about a salina improvement (harbour)?
      2) This is maybe already obvious: Alexandria and Syracusae as SSC. I deem Archimede's city as particularly important: this gives you the right incentive to pick up an early fight with Carthago for Sicily.
      3) What about an "improved road" (railroad)?
      Form an historical point of view Romans as "roadbuilders" is a fine concept. I'm not sure, though, about the effect of this on gameplay. Maybe this could be a late discovery available only to Romans.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sloth on 07-18-2000 03:39 AM
        1)In consideration of the importance of salt for the conservation of food what about a salina improvement (harbour)?
        2) This is maybe already obvious: Alexandria and Syracusae as SSC. I deem Archimede's city as particularly important: this gives you the right incentive to pick up an early fight with Carthago for Sicily.
        3) What about an "improved road" (railroad)?
        Form an historical point of view Romans as "roadbuilders" is a fine concept. I'm not sure, though, about the effect of this on gameplay. Maybe this could be a late discovery available only to Romans.

1) Yup, but not use harbour, use maritime platform instead...
        2) Quite right. As historical matter, Siracusa was the mainly rival for Carthage in Sicily before Rome ...
        3) Hmmm... better no.

"Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
        "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Prom: 1) I thought about the harbour because the salina had an effect on food not on ...production
          3) You could be right, but the "paved road" could be convenient if discovered late, when you get bored of wasting turns moving units produced, say, in Saguntum to Brundisium for boarding for the "Holy Land"

P.S. Obviously all this is based on experience gained on previous scenario and I realize that could be totaly out of place here. BeBro take my suggestions for what they are worth: two cents!

Comment

What are the wonders going to be? IMHO the expanded docks at Ostia should be a wonder (Pyramids?).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sloth on 07-18-2000 05:16 AM
              Prom: 1) I thought about the harbour because the salina had an effect on food not on ...production

Salt was an important industrial and commercial resource also... it was a primary resource for skins industry and painting dresses. That's why i proposed platform instead of harbour. And for commercial...
              The italian word for wage is "salario". Salt was like currency in inner mountains, and part of Roman first soldier's wage was payed in salt. The ancient Salaria road, leading from Rome to inner Appennine mountains was named this way because of salt. Also, Rome's position was dued to the control of the lower Tevere river, the mainly commercial route for salt to inner lands ( Insula Tiberina docet... ). I think it's too limitative what you said before.

------------------
              Ave atque vale...
              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

Touché
                I had not thought about "salario"...and then they say that i just think about money!

Comment

Hi guys, nice comments.

Sloth, your homework helped me a lot. This site has some very useful links. One of them guided me to a website with great miniatures of ancient warriors, including Romans, Greeks and Persians! Thank you!!!
                  Oh, I forgot: what means SSC (it´s not my best day today... )?

To the discussion about improvements/wonders:
                  The scn will include the offshore platform (as shipyard), a trade port and a naval base as different improvements. For the Railroads: V1.0 hadn´t RRs...but the units had higher movement rates as in the standard civ (Iinfantery 2, heavy cavalry 3, camels/light cavalry 4.

Some wonders are the Pyramides (perhaps on another slot), Lighthouse, Tower of Babel, Colossus, Acropolis, Aristoteles´school, Dionysius´ Theatre, Pantheon, Titus Arch, Colosseum, Hadrian´s Wall, Marius´ army reform (right translated?), AlKhazneh (Petra), Hanno´s voyage, Carthage´s Arsenal and some others (I´ll find some more Roman wonders, perhaps I´ll include this Ostia thing, Michael ). Some will be preplaced from the start, some are not as important in a scn, but good for the atmosphere (and for the score). I still have some free slot for wonders...I also have a (secret ) idea to use some improvements that seem useless for an ancient scn (e.g. as the SAM, or SDI).

And Stefan, this "Moloch" thing about Carthage was really interesting. This sunday they´ll have something about Cleo and Alexandria...
                  [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited July 18, 2000).]
                  [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited July 18, 2000).]
                  Blah

Comment

I read something about ancient Alessandria ( ooops, for german Alexandria ) a month ago, in a scientific magazine called "Airone"...
                    Need some reconstruction pics about the city?

------------------
                    Ave atque vale...

Comment

you're welcome!!!

SSC= Super Science City as defined in the Strategy thread. It refers to strategy some of us use in the normal game to build a big city with library,university, Colossus, Copernico's, Newton's and lot of Einsteins to really fasten scientific research.
                      For Syracusa the idea was to have a big scientific prize for...the first punic war

Comment

Well if you want info on Ostia, just ask (because someone else is bound to know more about it than me).

Comment

Tower of Babel

It's probably just the atheist in me speaking, but isn't there a better name for that?

AlKhazneh

Arabic? Oh wait, it's in Petra, never mind.

------------------
                          St. Leo
                          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 07-18-2000 11:04 PM
                            Tower of Babel

It's probably just the atheist in me speaking, but isn't there a better name for that?

If memory serves it's reckoned to be a ziggarut in Babylon, so the scenario would be a little late for that.

Comment

As we are speaking of ziggurat: I was wondering ( this morning, moments after dawn) why in Stefan Hartel's Pharaoh scenario the city walls became ziggurat: I thought it to be a religious structure, a staircase to haven (cathedral?).
                              BTW: thank you very much Stefan because Pharaoh is a GREAT scenario and I'm having a lot of fun with it, even if it's a little too..uh addictive?
                              [This message has been edited by Sloth (edited July 19, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

As we are speaking of ziggurat: I was wondering ( this morning,
                                moments after dawn)why in Stefan Hartel's Pharaoh scenario the city
                                walls became ziggurat: I thought it to be a religious structure, a
                                staircase to haven (cathedral?).
                                BTW: thank you very much Stefan because Pharaoh is GREAT scenario
                                and I'm having a lot of fun with it, even if it's a little too..uh addictive?

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I have always thought of a Ziqqurat being something like a fortress within the city with religious functions like a greek Akropolis (for example, the Ziqqurat of Babylon looked kinda like a fortress, while the tower in the middle had a temple on top, but since the walls around it were strengthened with towers...)

Thanks for your nice comments!

------------------
                                Follow the masses!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
                                -Mao Tse-Tung
                                God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
                                much screwed that whole idea..
                                -Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
                                Follow the masses!

Comment

Working...
                                X