No announcement yet.

Please, please spell check your scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say the 2nd rule already covers most of it, so the "8th rule" can be seen as an extension of that, really.

A few small errors are no big deal, but if the English is bad throughout, the creator did a bad job. So, yes it IS a bad scenario, IMHO.
    I have a great idea. I'll write my scenario texts in spanish so there won't be errors at all. Then, you'll have to admit that the creator did a good job.
    "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
    "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
    The Spanish Civilization Site
    "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Say, I would make some historical scenario, but I couldn't find enough sources. Instead of asking here for more info, I release a scenario where the units are obviously wearing the wrong uniforms, historical pop-ups use wrong dates and names, cities are placed badly etc.
      Yes, but uniforms, pop-ups etc... I can always seek for information in my own language. I can work a lot harder to improve them... but I don't see how I can improve the English of my scenaries/documents.

@jasev,jasev,jasev:

Please, please, please check your PMs and emails. It's very important, please.
      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

I will spiel check senarios for only a small fee!
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

How about actaully making the scenario for me?
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jasev
            I have a great idea. I'll write my scenario texts in spanish so there won't be errors at all. Then, you'll have to admit that the creator did a good job.
            Originally posted by yaroslav
            ... but I don't see how I can improve the English of my scenaries/documents.
            Is it really that hard to ask people on these forums to help you out? You all use playtesters, don't you? Their job is to find bugs or problems with the playability/accuracy of the scenario, right? Then why don't you ask anyone to find problems with your language use?

Originally posted by Boco
            I will spiel check senarios for only a small fee!

Originally posted by curtsibling
            How about actaully making the scenario for me?
            I hope you're not talking to me.
            I do intend to make some, though, eventually.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

If you want to post .txt files here in notepad or wordpad or whatever, then I'm quite happy to spellcheck anyone's English.

Even yours Curt.

Comment

If you want to post .txt files here in notepad or wordpad or whatever, then I'm quite happy to spellcheck anyone's English.
                I'll remember your words and make sure you regret them

Comment

Same here!
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I didn't say how long I'd take reading them.

Seriously, I'm happy to do it for anyone who asks, but don't send them all together. I know both English and French, so won't be much use if you're looking for a translation from Spanish or any other language (well, the bloke sitting opposite me at work is German), but spell checking and proof-reading are fine. I did my girlfriend's entire doctorate thesis, so I'm sure I could go through some read-mes and event files.

If you want to keep your files secret from the community and don't want to post them here, then I don't know if you can PM attachments, but if not then send me a PM, and I'll reply with my e-mail address.

*Note to self - unhappy with the grammatical structure of that last sentence*

Comment

Heck, if you're really stuck, give me a shout.
                      I meant it when I wrote it. Both my PM and E-mail are operational, as far as I know.

My spell checker is at your diposal. Editorial experience? Started a long time ago, editing my father's research papers for spelling and idiomatic English.
                      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

I use Microsoft Word to spell check when it is possible.
                        "You should count all humans as your kinfolk and the whole world as your foster country."
                        - Queen Kristina

Comment

I use Microsoft Word to spell check when it is possible.
                          So do I. But if the MSWord english corrector is as bad as the spanish corrector... .

Comment

Be warned!

If you want me to check your English then you'd better specify beforehand whether you want UK English, US English, Engrish or Scots Scottish ("The neds have broken the cease-fire!). I prefer to have a u in my colour, etc, so if you want the US version then please say so.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

Even yours Curt.
                              I might well make you regret your offer soon, Duke...

And I prefer my English not chewing-gum flavoured, if you don't mind...

Edit: on the other hand, I don't mind a single malt peaty flavour...
                              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Well I don't post at weekends, so if you wanted your checking done by Monday then you'd better get it to me in an hour and a half!

(Not to put any pressure on you btw )

Comment

Working...
                                X