Please, please spell check your scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, please spell check your scenario

I was poking around in the scenario archives at Apolyton when I came across an article that touched on my experience with some recent, and some not so recent, scenarios.

The article is "Advanced Scenario Design" by Leon Marrick, assisted by Harlan Thompson and others. The section that rang a bell with me was "How to tell a bad scenario: The Seven Signs". What follows is a direct quote except that, for brevity, I have taken the liberty of removing the authors' descriptions of points that have no bearing on the present topic:

"How to tell a bad scenario: The Seven Signs

Bad scenarios are two-a-penny; they seem to breed wherever not rigorously controlled. The following tip-offs seem like no-brainers, but how ubiquitous they are!

1. An unfunctional scenario.
    2. A garbled readme or scenario briefing. Nobody has any excuse for not spell-checking his work, or for not making certain his audience knows what the scenario is. Those writing documents in a second language had better make QUITE certain they are comprehensible.
    3. A map mostly consisting of grassland.
    4. By-guess-and-by-God terrain alterations
    5. Misspelled city names. Some people use an atlas in their native tongue when naming cities. This is good, especially in scenarios with protagonists speaking that language (There is a Catalan scenario that benefits greatly from this.). Others, whose own language may not be English, use English to attract a wider audience. This, too, is good, although extreme care is required. Some people can't seem to decide which language they are using. This is pathetic. Check out an atlas, and get a dictionary.
    6. No or inappropriate scenario limitations
    7. Cities that riot, starve, sell off structures, etc. during the first turn."

I would like to add another point to this list:

8. Misspellings or bad grammar in any window or pop-up that a player will see during the course of the game.

It does not take much reading of the threads at this site to realize how much time and effort designers spend to get the unit names, unit icons and unit placements absolutely right; to obtain and edit the appropriate map; struggle with the limitations of events and rules files to get the AI to correctly move units; and then fix the inevitable bugs that show up during play testing. The effort put in to get a professional result is immense. As a player, I truly admire and appreciate your work.

What I find difficult to understand is why, after you have spent hundreds of hours on your project, the hour or two needed to thoroughly spell check events, game, labels and rules files are sometimes so difficult to come by. It really is jarring to start a superbly crafted scenario and within ten minutes see spelling errors that would embarrass a sixth grader. In a few instances, where a particular pop-up appeared frequently, I've gone in and fixed it just so I would not have to look at the same mistake hundreds of times.

I realize that some designers may not have an English language spell check available on their word processing software. However, in view of the incredibly high degree of cooperation that exists among the participants at this site, it should not be difficult to find someone who can do it for you. Heck, if you're really stuck, give me a shout.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

I couldn't agree more. That document should be required reading for any self-respecting scenario maker anyway, even if some of it is outdated by now.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yeah, if we can't read the readme, how are we supposed to understand the concept of the game?
      Vote Democrat
      Support Democracy

Comment

Actually . . . . .

I studied that document thoroughly before I ever attempted to create my first scenario. It was incredibly helpful, like all the Scenario League hints/tips.

And yeah, I often run across designers who, very obviously, do not have english as a first language and who err prodigiously in matters of not simply spelling, but also grammar.

It's not always an indicator of a bad scenario though.

Lost in America.
        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

The SL tips are always useful, especially those concerning sound FX.

Typos, etc are an inevitable part of the process - too many late nights and red bull can allow bugs to creep into the events or game messages!

And MS word does not always pick up improper grammar!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

ottok write readme
            "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

I've had people read my stuff before I release it. Hopefully it helped
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I'm very sorry to disagree, but I believe you should try to understand that for some of us English isn't easy. I believe that if you'd know how much effort some of us put in writing in English, you won't complain about our English

However, I understand that for english native speakers, some of the documents that I wrote are a very difficult thing to read
                Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Sorry if I screwed up

I really thought that when I wrote

"I realize that some designers may not have an English language spell check available on their word processing software. However, in view of the incredibly high degree of cooperation that exists among the participants at this site, it should not be difficult to find someone who can do it for you. Heck, if you're really stuck, give me a shout."

it would be taken as truly innocuous and possibly helpful suggestion.

Also, if I had been writing the article by Leon Marrick, I would have used considerably different language in the section I quoted. However, one can't start editing a direct quote.

Actually, I have experienced the difficulty of writing in a language other than one's native tongue. English is not my native language, it is my third language.

Comment

It should be said that I have huge respect for scenario makers who write
                    all the events and other text matter, even if English is their sencond language.

And there are many such creators in our CIV2 community.

I could imagine my pathetic attempts at trying to write something like an events file in Swedish or German...

My hat's off to these guys!
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Sorry if I screwed up

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                      I really thought that when I wrote

"I realize that some designers may not have an English language spell check available on their word processing software. However, in view of the incredibly high degree of cooperation that exists among the participants at this site, it should not be difficult to find someone who can do it for you. Heck, if you're really stuck, give me a shout."

it would be taken as truly innocuous and possibly helpful suggestion.

Also, if I had been writing the article by Leon Marrick, I would have used considerably different language in the section I quoted. However, one can't start editing a direct quote.

Actually, I have experienced the difficulty of writing in a language other than one's native tongue. English is not my native language, it is my third language.
                      You don't need to say sorry, Agricola, I've overreacted. Sorry for that. It's only that I feel ashamed of my english (specially when I try to write quickly) and I didn't react in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
                        I'm very sorry to disagree, but I believe you should try to understand that for some of us English isn't easy. I believe that if you'd know how much effort some of us put in writing in English, you won't complain about our English
                        I disagree. If you can have your scenario thoroughly playtested, there's no excuse for not having it checked for spelling/grammar by other members of this community as well.

I can understand not everyone writes English perfectly, but there are plenty of people around here who do. So, if you're not paying attention to it, you're knowingly neglecting an integral part of your scenario.
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

@Curtsibling

I couldn't agree more!

@PANDA

How do I get a message to you. Your PM is blocked and your junk mail blocker is doing a fine job on my E-mails.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

I disagree. If you can have your scenario thoroughly playtested, there's no excuse for not having it checked for spelling/grammar by other members of this community as well.

I can understand not everyone writes English perfectly, but there are plenty of people around here who do. So, if you're not paying attention to it, you're knowingly neglecting an integral part of your scenario.
                            but will you make it the 8th rule to tell what is a bad scen? I mean, a pop-up can be bad written and still the scen could be good.

Comment

I'd say the 2nd rule already covers most of it, so the "8th rule" can be seen as an extension of that, really.

A few small errors are no big deal, but if the English is bad throughout, the creator did a bad job. So, yes it IS a bad scenario, IMHO.

It will of course be less critical than, for example, a scenario that won't start at all. It can still be fun to play.

Say, I would make some historical scenario, but I couldn't find enough sources. Instead of asking here for more info, I release a scenario where the units are obviously wearing the wrong uniforms, historical pop-ups use wrong dates and names, cities are placed badly etc.

Would you consider that a good scenario? Even if it were actually fun to play?

If that scenario would be about a little known time and place in history, or if the author wasn't a member at the time he created it, it would be understandable and acceptable. If not, he was doing a bad job.

Comment

Working...
                              X