Scenario Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario Preview

Well I usually like to hold these kinds of things off till later, but I am bored and its raining out, so here goes. I've been working on a scenario for awhile now, and its nearing playtest state. Its still 'in a work' as they say.

I had a name for this, but another apolytoner has chosen the exact same name for his own scenario, unaware of my project. Sadly I will have to go with something else as I was beaten to the punch with making the name public.

Anyway, the scenario is WWII, for play as the Germans only. Big big map, starting time is July 1943. Kursk has just failed, the Soviets are about to mount a huge offensive taking most of the Ukraine, and the Allies have touched down in Sicily.

6 Civs:
    • Soviets (red)
    • Americans (green) [Iceland only at start]
    • British (orange)
    • Finns (white)
    • Italians (green)
    • Strategic Bomber Command (orange)
    • Barbarian Neutrals (olive)

You are on the defensive here with the Allies pushing in on you at every turn. I will have the scenario end in the fall of 1945 if you manage to last that long. Wonders counting as objecties. Name of the game is to militarily survive ovewhelming odds. It is armour heavy, with each civ having a healthy set of units to fight with.

I have separated the Americans and British for fun, and for unit variety. I have separated the Bombers from the 2 Allied civs so that they do not cover their land units and prevent you r attacks by land (as you'll probably run out of planes). The Amis and Brits have fighters, but they will have to go back to their cities during turns.

The game is set up such that it gets tougher to maintain hapiness in occupied territories when it becomes clear you are losing the war. Troops will be spread thin all over, so only a cunning general will be able to play a daring fighting retreat, buying time.

The game starts with the debacle at Kursk, its clear the big plans for the summer are a flop, and you've got a majour disaster on your hands with the Soviet counter-offensive.

Your worthless Italian Allies will soon giveway to hoardes of American troops who will make their way north toward Germany.

There are a few fun little miniplots thrown in courtesy of Henrik and its shaping up nicely. Dont ask for an eta. Maybe I can get some neat ideas talking here, so if you have anything you'd like to add feel free to comment. Ask some questions if you'd like.

Where have I heard about this before....

Neutrals! agh neutrals! Neutrals bad!

Oh and you made the Italians and Americans the same color? That's kinda hard to differentiate. Why not make the italians a lighter green?

Comment

nice map, nice graphics, love the idea can't wait..
      "Peace cannot be kept by force.
      It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Make the Americans Blue.
        "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
        -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

Re: Scenario Preview

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
          I had a name for this, but another apolytoner has chosen the exact same name for his own scenario, unaware of my project. Sadly I will have to go with something else as I was beaten to the punch with making the name public.

Let me guess:Götterdämmerung?

How about a download link?
          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
          Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

No cities in Africa?

True, the DAK had been driven off during your time period, but i think that the more cities an AI, that is supposed to be ultra aggressive, has, the merrier.
            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
              No cities in Africa?
              exactly what I was going to ask about in this message :P
              "Peace cannot be kept by force.
              It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Originally posted by Willhelm II
                Make the Americans Blue.
                I had this same idea today at work.

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                No cities in Africa?

True, the DAK had been driven off during your time period, but i think that the more cities an AI, that is supposed to be ultra aggressive, has, the merrier.
                Sure, that rule would apply if it were not on the other side of the Med. Their is no way that units produced there would ever make it onto ships and cross the med for a landing. Of course, all Italian plans for empire are donefor, and you should be hoping to merely stall for time by holding the Ami's up in the mountains and hills of Italy. The top map represents a full compliment of cities in the game, so I had to stop somewhere. This was a hard decision to make, but it is so.

Comment

Looking forward to this FMK

On the cities: should you not give the British either Gibraltar or Alexandria as a naval base, or perhaps Tripoli as a staging point for the Sicily landings?

BTW, Exeter is a fairly big town; I don't think it's half the size of Plymouth.
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

True, but at the same time you wouldn't want a city that appears to be an airbase to be too large, would you.

My suggestion would be to rename it to something else if you want to keep a degree of realism there. I'm sure there's an RAF something or other down that way.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

fairline, get on AIM... 'ThoughtPolice78'

Comment

That Exeter, is Exeter AFB, or RAF Exeter... I went by Nemo's Blitz to see what the RAF had for names of their fields... The city belongs to Strategic Bomber Command, note the blue citysize box as opposed to the British's orange.

Comment

FMK...Have you maxed out the cities?

The map looks sparse in areas...
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

yup cities are maxed. =/ what areas do you feel are sparse?

Comment

Sparse!!

On the contrary!

I say remove a couple of cities from the Spaniards and Irish(they are going to stay out of the war anyway-negotiations are disallowed, yes?) and build some in Russia and Africa.

Comment

Working...
                              X