I need a new game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    I never bought SC3000. I believe i am fortunate in that respect. Not that SC3000 was bad, but that the way Maxis has done incremental improvements, SC3000 was disappointing to a lot of SC2000 fans, and SC4 is disappointing to at least some SC3000 fans, but the combination of all the incremental improvements will make SC4 enough of a jump to satisfy an SC2000 fan.
    I've read an article were someone from Maxis (Will Wrigth I think), said the reason SC3000 became what it is, is because Maxis had almost no money at that time, and had many flops after SC2000 (SC2000 was the last success I think they mentioned)... and because of this, they had to try to make a sequel to what made Maxis: SimCity... but because of the lack of money, they couldn't add much...

They also mentioned that their publisher (?) "demanded" that they'd make it SimCity 3D (Saw a screenshot of it... wasn't a pretty sight), but they managed to "persuade" them, to say ok for the "2d" version they released...

A bit off-topic
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You know, I always loved the Earth2150 and Moon Project games. (RTS games)

The fully 3d graphics and control capabilties are absolutely beautiful.

The only thing that I have mixed feelings about is the concept of having a main base and a mission base. It takes a while to get used to.

I have yet to see an RTS that pulls 3d off in as beautiful a way as they do in Earth2150.

Warcraft3 was ok, but half-ass i think.

That's why I am really interested in C&C Generals...to see how they pulled off the 3d RTS game world.

Anyone have a comparison report?
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I never bought SC3000. I believe i am fortunate in that respect. Not that SC3000 was bad, but that the way Maxis has done incremental improvements, SC3000 was disappointing to a lot of SC2000 fans, and SC4 is disappointing to at least some SC3000 fans, but the combination of all the incremental improvements will make SC4 enough of a jump to satisfy an SC2000 fan.
        Good point, skipping an incarnation in the sim games COULD be the thing to do. Unless there are obvious and drastic improvements...

I played sim city 1, never got around to getting 2000, but I bought 3000 and was very satisfied. (obviously a HUGE leap from the first simcity.)

Im on the fence with the latest simcity.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
          Warcraft3 was ok, but half-ass i think.
          The graphics wasn't great in War3... pretty strange that they used 3D graphics (Which is almost always uglier than 2D graphics), but "only" gave possibility to play in a 2D world... I set "only" in "" since they made it possible to turn the camera a little to the sides and up and down, but you couldn't keep the new camera angle, unless you kept pressing that key...

With other words: The "3D" part of the game sucks, and the graphics sucks (compared to what they could have done, if they made the graphics in "2D")
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It's playability that makes a game......Warcraft3 has it in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              It's playability that makes a game......Warcraft3 has it in spades.
              I'd have to disagree with you there. It's got alot of 3D graphics and eye candy (not that they're particularily good, mind you), but there's no playability there for me.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Each to his own.........there are 45,000 people on Battle.net for WC3 now, and 250,000 overall.

Comment

I'll throw a plug in for Hitman2.The Metal Gear Solid of contract killing but since I never played MGS, I can't comment
                  THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE ALL TIME BIGGEST CRAP GAMES EVER. if all games start sucking that much im going back to playing Duke Nuke'm and Commander Keen.

Comment

Working...
                  X