No announcement yet.

Best of the OLD dos games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultima I played on the school Apple II seemed amazing, especially when compared to the only alternatives: ZX81 and Tandy programs you typed in the code for from the latest games magazine in order to play

The variants of the kingdom management games where you basically struggled to survive for as long as possible against an endless wave of opponents were enthralling at the time too. My favourite was based on ruling Athens.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
      Ultima I played on the school Apple II seemed amazing, especially when compared to the only alternatives: ZX81 and Tandy programs you typed in the code for from the latest games magazine in order to play

The variants of the kingdom management games where you basically struggled to survive for as long as possible against an endless wave of opponents were enthralling at the time too. My favourite was based on ruling Athens.
      That was a good one. I remember playing Lode Runner and Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II as well. "Achtung!"

I also had a buttload of games for my Atari 400/800 (I had both): Choplifter! Pinball Construction Set, M.U.L.E., Rescue on Fractulus, Montezumas Revenge (my first pirated game), Star Raiders, Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Planetfall, Zork, and a bunch of arcade adaptations (Defender, Donkey Kong, etc.) But my favorite game for the 800 had to be Exodus: Ultima III, played repeatedly even though I came upon a strategy that made my party well nigh invincible.

Civ 1 was the first piece of software I ever bought for a PC and like an idiot, I installed the program to my root directory. Other enjoyable games from that time period include Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Shadow President. I wasn't into PC's in the days of EGA or monochromatic displays.

Comment

I finally upgraded to a 286 PC after I played Warlords at a friends house and loved it. By then it was clear that the Atari ST was failing as a games platform because the Amiga had won the fight for dominance in the US and games like Bards Tale II and III were not going to be ported across. Then Civ I arrived and I was hooked forever!
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

What about NETHACK ?????

I cannot *believe* that only Darkknight referred to Rogue.

I first played this game in '89 and couldn't see what was special about it.

At the moment I own many new games, but nethack is the only game I have been inclined to play for some time. Yesterday ascending my first character in a couple of years.

Despite its ascii interface (You can choose vga interface if you prefer), Nethack is the most refined and balanced game I have come across.

If you want to play, search metacrawler.com for "nethack" for a free download and also find a spoilers page (e.g: http://fly.cc.fer.hr/fun/nethack/spoil700/).
          The 3 most interesting spoilers are about intrinsics, exercise and trouble. For an easy start, try playing as a Valkyrie. Otherwise a Wizard is an interesting alternative. I have not been able to get far with other character types.
          "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
          "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
          - Pekka

Comment

I pick for the PC version of AH 1830.
            Pathetic graphics but really good AI, to the extent that I still play it. The AI always team up against you, but no cheating- something modern game designers should always try to achieve.

Comment

Nomad was cool. A space adventure, where every alien would give you tons of missles for chocolate.

Monkey Island was cool.

Ragnarok the free game rocked, along with Alphaman. Ahh, the Kevorkian Death Chair (from Alphaman)! Or seeing the text "you have swallowed the potion and lost your legs, little stumps have grown in their place" (from Ragnarok).

X-Com was a DOS game and it was cool. Too bad my comp is too fast now not even MoSlo gets it right.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                The game I was thinking about... I found the disk again today , it's called Supaplex.
                I LOVE THAT GAME!!

Someone actually remade it, as well as a level editor for it....I'll see if I can find the URL again...
                I AM CANADIAN!
                Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

Lots of good info here.
                  I AM CANADIAN!
                  Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                  CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                  Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone

Ragnarok the free game rocked, along with Alphaman. Ahh, the Kevorkian Death Chair (from Alphaman)! Or seeing the text "you have swallowed the potion and lost your legs, little stumps have grown in their place" (from Ragnarok).
                    If you liked Ragnarok, You might try nethack. not as pretty, but just as fun. see the thread in this forum.
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
                    X