Best of the OLD dos games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fiera

Those were amazing! And they had the best plot I've ever seen in a computer game...

I also had an expansion, the Secret Operations 1&2, I think, and also bought Wing Commander Privateer, which had a very interesting plot too, but I never got to finish it. Could anyone tell me what happened in the end?
    The other cool thing about WC1 was the branching story structure. Even if you lost a mission, you might be in for another mission that youve never played, and you can still win the game.
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
      I got Pirates! Gold from underdogs a while back, but never played it. I was wondering if I should try it out....
      YES! I started pllaying it after dinner one even, and after awhile, I was getting really tired. I glanced over at the clock and it was 3 in the morning! I had to get up at 6 and go to work. Needless to say, I was pretty worthless at work the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

YES! I started pllaying it after dinner one even, and after awhile, I was getting really tired. I glanced over at the clock and it was 3 in the morning! I had to get up at 6 and go to work. Needless to say, I was pretty worthless at work the next day.
        Dang! Maybe I should try it out. I did the same thing, got it from underdogs and never played. maybe I'll try the manual
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Legacy of the ancients (also available at underdogs) is another of those great old games. My wife and I fought for use of our commodore during our first year of marriage to play this game.

the PC version doesn't have sound as good, but it's still fun. I remember devising the strategy of doing the mail run from isle city to cobbleton to get enough money to get me started, always a problem in these Questron type games.
          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Hitchhiker is a lot better then zork. It's hilarious. I agree some bits in zork are good but you dont get a feel for the environment you're just going through the same places over and over. In hitchhiker you actually travel around and only go back as a different character which is really fun as well you get to see yourself from another persons perspective.
            Another great game is Shadow President, It's about 12 years old but it just doesn't age.
            Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

An old game i played heaps of was Warlords.

It was an excellent strategy/war game. There were 80 castles to take over, and 7 enemies. It also had a very good AI, which didnt do excessively stupid things, and was aggressive

Of course, i played civ a lot more (especially after i discovered that cannons *werent* too good for defence) hehe
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Also Warlords 2. Very stong AI.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Besides the obvious choices of Civ & Colonisation, I'd pick defender of the Crown (which has been mentioned), Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Ancient Art of War, Might & Magic 2, and Olympic Decathlon.
                  PHOENIXCAGER
                  The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Panzers East! from Avalon Hill, I believe. You just moved German "strength points" (Infantry, Panzer, Axis and Air) around on a Russian map. It was actually pretty difficult, with a Tactical Victory the best I ever got.

SSI´s Wargame Construction Set : Now this is something I would like to see again. A game where You can create Your own tactical battles, units, maps and everything in any period! Why did no one ever do this again?
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                      Panzers East! from Avalon Hill, I believe. You just moved German "strength points" (Infantry, Panzer, Axis and Air) around on a Russian map. It was actually pretty difficult, with a Tactical Victory the best I ever got.

SSI´s Wargame Construction Set : Now this is something I would like to see again. A game where You can create Your own tactical battles, units, maps and everything in any period! Why did no one ever do this again?
                      Yeah I remember a friend of mine had the wargame construction set, it was awesome. But then again, why make a wargame construction set when you can just mod whats out there (ie civ3).
                      "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras
                        But then again, why make a wargame construction set when you can just mod whats out there (ie civ3).
                        Making mods is great, of course. But a Civ game wouldn´t be really useful as a starting point, if You want to do something along a tactical or grand-tactical line. Chickamauga or the Bulge as a Civ scenario wouldn´t quite work.

Then, of course, there will also probably never be a Civ game with a WYSIWYG type editor, like in HoMM 3 Armageddon. Civ editors will always be somewhat cumbersome I bet.
                        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

I just thought of two more nostalgia games: Ghenghis Khan from KOEI, and Prince of Aragon from SSI. The latter had the best unit construction workshop, ever.

Comment

- Prince was great- I once did it in about 20 minits I think.
                            - And King's Quest III.. I played it for a year, but when I got close to the end:
                            - Arkanoid: the final level was the single easiest one of the whole game.
                            - Cat: really cool, but has it an ending?
                            - Wolf 3D: the ultimate 3d shoot'em up. no other has added something really important to this genre, don't you think?
                            - Centurion: it's also VGA, but it worked on my old 286 so I consider it a small game. It's in fact the only one I still play sometimes.
                            - Castle: ASCII. This one has just so much atmosphere. Move your around to fight ), *, and S. Go upstairs, look in the fountain and you can see a gem. A drawback: current computers are way too fast, and it's real-time... I think the average opponent can attack you 654 times before you saw its character flickering. And my version is corrupted.

--> Which brings us to: ROGUE-LIKES: Nethack, Ancient Domains of Magic, Angband, .. Ascii adventures with random dungeons. Incredibly deep and surprising . For example, in Nethack you can eat a carrot to cure blindness (ever seen a rabbit with glasses?), except when you're hit by a cream pie. You can cast stone to flesh on a granite ring/diamond a get a meat ring/meatball. Look into a mirror when you're polymorphed into a floating eye and paralyse yourself. etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                              I just thought of two more nostalgia games: Ghenghis Khan from KOEI, and Prince of Aragon from SSI. The latter had the best unit construction workshop, ever.
                              Prince of Aragon? Never heard of it... what kind of game was it?
                              "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by Fiera

Prince of Aragon? Never heard of it... what kind of game was it?
                                Apart from one weakness -bad tactical AI- it was the best fantasy strategy game ever made.
                                There were so many great details about that game I´ll only mention one (Otherwise this post would cover pages.):
                                You could custom-design and develop every single military unit the way You develop Your heroes in a RPG: Same level of detail, and it WORKED.

Comment

Working...
                                X