Best of the OLD dos games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of the OLD dos games

I mean the ones that don't even have VGA graphics.

I vote for:
    Zork. no graphics. no sound. undisputed king of the text adventures. I still have it. Remember looking at the writing on the door, only to discover it said "this space intentionally left blank"?

Fairy Godmom. this shareware piece of arcade is just fascinating and full of laughs. the idea is that your wand transforms things, one button to scan, one button to transform. one of the funny thing you can do is turn a line of brick into coins and pick them all up. almost win until a coin turns back into a brick and kils you. also killed myself turning a ladder into a monster

I still play both of these.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I vote for the very first part of Heroes of might and magic (not no. 1) but the EGA version. It is still fun to play though I don't know the name of the game and it isn't Heroes of M&M.

Comment

I think you're talking about... wait a minute... not King's Quest... but it's close...

KING'S BOUNTY!

I often refer to this as "hero of might and magic". it certainly has some frustrating elements, like the limits on how many critters you can control. I have played this recntly myself. actually won without leaving the first continent because I found the ultimate artifact.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

I just can't finish the damn game.
        By the time I arrive in the desert the enemy is much too strong for me and if I'm correct there is some kind of a time limit (I haven't played it recently but I'll start looking for it on the net again).
        The time limit was probably the most annoying part of the game.

Anyway King's Bounty is interesting if you like Heroes of M&M (interesting units - those peasants are useless as always).

I forgot to mention one other game - Pirates! It can be played in both EGA and VGA and it's still one of my favourites.

Comment

I got Pirates! Gold from underdogs a while back, but never played it. I was wondering if I should try it out....

Comment

I vote for Civilization, of course!

John-SJ

Comment

For the Really old games:

Galaga
              Space Invaders
              Cats (You try to climb to the top of a fence and find your true love; one of the first games to have 'mini-games'

Empire was sort of fun (Risk-type game)
              Duke Nukem (The OLD platform type games)
              Spies of Red Rock (or something like that. You were a spy on an island; platform; you tried to defeat multiple castles and advance to kill the evil spy)

Commander Keen! (Everyone should know of this and other old Apogee games)
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Let me see:

Defender of Crown
                Omega (uses character graphics)
                SimCity
                Spot
                Railroad Tycoon
                Civilization
                NATO, Crusade in Europe, Decision in Desert, and Conflict in Vietnam (all very old MicroProse wargames)
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                  For the Really old games:

Commander Keen! (Everyone should know of this and other old Apogee games)
                  Oh Yeah! I totally forgot about commander Keen, I spent many happy hours with good old CK4, and even played the demo for 6: Aliens ate my babysitter.

Apogee. for a while, ALL their games looked like Commander Keen. Secret Agent Man, Jill Of The Jungle, Even Duke Nukem side scroller.

Comment

Add a vote Defender of the Crown. It was in 1985, wasn't it?

And for more recent games (but not so much, it's already ten years ago! ), Civilization and The Secret of Monkey Island.

Oh, and Wolfenstein 3D too!
                    Last edited by Fiera; August 3, 2001, 05:22.
                    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      Cats (You try to climb to the top of a fence and find your true love; one of the first games to have 'mini-games'
                      Wasn't that called "Alley Cat"? I used to have it on my Commodore 64.

My vote goes to the original EGA version of The Secret of Monkey Island. Of course.
                      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I didn't play a lot of PC games in that prehistoric era, the first PC game I played a lot was Sim City 2000, but I did play Snakes sometimes. I'd also mention Hidden Agenda, which is a fairly recent discovery.

Games such as Sim City, Civilisation, Railroad Tycoon, Prince of Persia are certainly also worth mentioning but these already have VGA graphics, isn't it?
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I think Railroad Tycoon has EGA graphics.

Another one:

Star Control
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Prince of Persia has EGA as far as I know (I'm not sure though).

One more: Prehistorik (1 and 2)

Comment

Oh, yes, how could I've forgotten Prince of Persia... the game lost a lot of its appeal once I learned about the cheats, though...
                              "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                              X