3rd millenium chess : Julius vs Ken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd millenium chess : Julius vs Ken

This is now the 4th game of the Apolyton World Championship. Carolus beat Kcbob, was then beaten by Smash who just lost to Julius. No champion has yet retained his title. Will the curse go on ?
    Here comes Ken. He says he fights off long games and allows the champion to play with the white pieces when a draw is enough for the champion to remain champion. Excuse the repetition of the world champion, but I am not sure I'm going to remain champion for long.
    Ken's quiet assurance is already worrying me. When we'll be in the 21st century, I'm going to tell a nice 19th century chess story that should explain my fears.
    But enough talking : my 1st move is 1 e4.

------------------
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

By the way Ken, if you're not too familiar with the algebraic notation, we shall always have the two versions. But watch out, I'm not too good with the descriptive.

1 e4

1 K-P-4

Comment

No problem Julius. I'll watch your descriptive if you make sure I don't mess up the Algebraic notation. Just one note, in Decriptive the piece being moved is listed first then the square moved to. I fixed the notation for your first move. I also change the layout slightly as I think it will be less confusing for our audiance. If you don't agree then we can work something else out.

Ken

Comment

1 e4 ... a6 .. P-K4 P-QR3
        [This message has been edited by Ken Hinds (edited December 17, 2000).]

Comment

1 e4 … a6 1 P-K4 … PQR3
          2 d4 2 P-Q4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 12-17-2000 06:08 AM
            No problem Julius. I'll watch your descriptive if you make sure I don't mess up the Algebraic notation. Just one note, in Decriptive the piece being moved is listed first then the square moved to. I fixed the notation for your first move. I also change the layout slightly as I think it will be less confusing for our audiance. If you don't agree then we can work something else out.
            Ken

OK, but what's the name of this opening. Nobody had ever played me this before ?

------------------

Comment

1 e4 … a6 1 P-K4 … P-QR3
              2 d4 … b5 2 P-Q4 … P-QB4

Comment

Julius,

It's a variation on Owen's Defense. It's designed to keep the Romans confused while the confederation of Alans, Huns, and Sueti circle around to their rear and capture Ceasar in his tent.

Ken

Comment

1 e4 … a6 1 P-K4 … P-QR3
                  2 d4 … b5 2 P-Q4 … P-QN4
                  3 Nf3 3 N-KB3 …

Ken, I’ve assumed you’ve played 2 … b5. I’ve got some trouble with the descriptive notation of your 2nd move. Doesn’t P-QB4, means Pawn in front of the black bishop next to the queen moves to the 4th rank in black’s perspective ? 2 … c5 that is.
                  If you’ve played 2 … c5, let me know and I’ll look for another move.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 12-17-2000 09:36 AM
                    Julius,
                    It's a variation on Owen's Defense. It's designed to keep the Romans confused while the confederation of Alans, Huns, and Sueti circle around to their rear and capture Ceasar in his tent.
                    Ken

Well this Owen defense special variation looks tricky indeed. Was Owen a German ? I know of an English poet of this name …

------------------

Comment

Julius,

You misread my move. That was P-QN4(knight) not bishop-4. As long as you responded to a move of the Queen Knight pawn the you are OK.

I'm not sure who Owen was. Some obscure chess player, perhaps Henry VII's father. His name was Owen, in which case it would be an obscure Welsh Chess player.

Ken

Comment

1 e4 … a6 1 P-K4 … P-QR3
                        2 d4 … b5 2 P-Q4 … P-QN4
                        3 Nf3 … Bb7 3 N-KB3 … B-QN2
                        4 Bd3 4 B-Q3

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 12-17-2000 08:57 AM
                          1 e4 … a6 1 P-K4 … P-QR3
                          2 d4 … b5 2 P-Q4 … P-QB4

Well, it looks like you typed QB and not QN, not that it matters much. I'm always going to trust the algebric.

------------------

Comment

Julius,

My appologies. I was looking at your correction and not my original post. I did have a typo in my descriptive version of the move. I'll be more careful for now on.

Ken

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 12-17-2000 02:51 PM
                              Julius,
                              My appologies. I was looking at your correction and not my original post. I did have a typo in my descriptive version of the move. I'll be more careful for now on.
                              Ken

No problemo, it was just for the sake of arguing.
                              By the way, is there not some Michael Owen, a soccer player for Liverpool, a forward I believe.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X