The Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Movies

Apparently there is a game coming out in October 2004 that has been in development since April 2002 called "The Movies". Its by the guy who did Theme Park and other Tycoon-like games. What it is is you go from 1900 to 2010 building a movie studio. Now sure, this sounds great and all, but there's more than that. You actually have three main goals: building your studio, making stars, and actually writing and directing your own movies.

I can't really explain that well...here's the website:

http://www.themoviesgame.com/home.html

Honestly, this is now the game I'm waiting for in 2004.

If you want more info (and IMHO better info), Computerandvideogames.com has a great preview, and Gamespot's isn't that bad.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

I'm wary, it sounds like it will be lacking in the gameplay department.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

seems like a good premise.

but there are so many combinations of things you could do with movies, I don't see how you could include everything.

I kind of expect "generic" type movies.

Comment

I have been following this game since last year, and I must admit it sounds promising, but for some reason I'm not sure how great it'll be, since it sounds like they have spent lots of time (too much?) on the actually movie-making process, where you'll be able to render a movie yourself to share with your friends...

There was a graphic less game like this some years ago, though it never worked in WinXP (Always crashed before finishing my first movie)
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: The Movies

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
          Its by the guy who did Theme Park and other Tycoon-like games.
          Peter Molyneux. I'd guess he's most famous for Populous, Dungeon Keeper, and Black & White, though.

I like how the game looks, but like Dissident, I am kinda skeptical as to how could one possibly build the whole diversity of movies in. I'm thinking the choice of things to do would become kinda limited and boring after some time. Then, again, look at the Sims. You just never know.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

While the Console versions are going to be just one game, the PC version already has 3 assumed expansion packs, ala The Sims.

They are also considering talking to studios about creating a pack that would allow gamers to remake that movie, like "X-Men 3" would have a pack released simultaneously with the movie.

A great thing about these developers is they have on their messageboard a diary that 6 or 7 of them update almost every day.
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

oh, Theme park untill you said Peter Molyneux I was thinking about one of those lame RCT knock-offs.

the PC version already has 3 assumed expansion packs, ala The Sims.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I just found some nice in-game movies of the game:

http://lionsource.ngz-network.de/dow...movies/movies/

I've only seen the first one, but it was awsome
                Those movies are very old though, so expect lots of changes in the final game

And the download speed on this site is great: 130-140 kb/s
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I don't know if it's Peter's voice, the way he does his presentations, or the game itself, but I can't help but feel this is going to be another Black and White - lots of hype and promises, but a huge letdown in the end.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

W/o looking at the website it sounds like it might be bad. Esprecailly if the majority of the game, is sitting nad wtriting your own scripts, and having the dumass comp grade it for you.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Hmm, I'll reserve judgement till I see it, but it does whiff of Sunday gamer to me. Skanky should like it.

Comment

I personally can't wait. I love movies, and write scripts, so something like this is perfect.

BiPB: You can actually focus on one of the three aspects of the game, leaving the others for the computer if you want. There's also a "free play" mode, in which you have unlimited funds and can pick whichever era of film you want.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                          I personally can't wait. I love movies, and write scripts
                          Have any been made into film commercially? It'd be interesting to see a movie written by an apolytoner.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

another sim *blank* game. basically. it should be popular though. sims games do rather well.

3 expansions planned already? why not just put them all in then? :whine:
                            :-p

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                              I don't know if it's Peter's voice, the way he does his presentations, or the game itself, but I can't help but feel this is going to be another Black and White - lots of hype and promises, but a huge letdown in the end.
                              I agree completely. For more of this from the same guy, see the hype around the future XBox game Fable. All talk and no trousers these days.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                              X