This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafia XVII - Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis

Mafia XVII : Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis.
    We fear not death, but the thinking of death. (Seneca)

PRELVDIVM

The April sun shone warmly on the banks of the Tiber where Zopperoni, a slave in the service Spiffor, attended to his master's businesses that day. The aging senator relied more and more on his slaves to do even the most basic tasks for him, and today was no exception.

"Ave!" said ADG as Zopperoni approached his riverside fishmarket "What can I offer you, young sir? Perhaps some nice Cyprinus carpio?"

Zopperoni handed over a few sestersi for the fish and moved along into the Capitoline district.

"Ave!" called Chaunk, sitting on a park bench, surrounded by chickens "Want to stop and help me feed these birds, Zoppi?"
    "Ad praesens ova cras pullis sunt meliora!" repiled Zopperoni with a wink as he took 2 eggs and strolled off.

He had to hide them pretty fast as coming the other way were two priests, Rasputin and FlameFlash.
    "Clearly," stated Rasputin "Jupiter is greater than Saturn, therefore I am greater than you!"
    "That's possible," replied his companion, "But I am a cousin to the Emperor's wine taster."
    "Bah" spat Rasputin, "All the best people worship Jupiter, not Saturn."
    "Homines libenter quod volunt credunt," interjected Zopperoni as he went past.

Next on the list of jobs was a visit to the Forum to get a letter copied by GJRamesey, the leading public letter scribe, quite a rude love letter actually, but, as Cicerco said, "Epistula non erubescit"
    However, on the way there Zopperoni popped into Rah's brothel, which doubled as a bar in the daytime, to get a quick drink.
    Rah served him a wine in a clay jug shaped like a vagina.
    "The customers like it," he explained with a shrug.
    "Hocine bibo aut in eum digitos insero?" asked Zoppi, drank it and left.

Next stop was the local butcher's to get a nice fresh goat for his master's dinner. Theben put it on the bill as usual, refusing to handle money while he was also handling animals.
    "It brings bad luck" he grumbled.
    "Suos cuique mos," agreed Zoppi, and lead the goat home.

It was all a bit chaotic at the Spiffor villa as GhengisFarb had taken up half the floor to lay a new mosiac, while at the same time the senator's libraian, Jon Miller was trying to reorganise all the scrolls and had laid them out on the other half. Zoppi and his goat were not welcomed.

Luckily the slaves and workmen all had the afternoon free, so they went to the Colloseum to watch the training.

Snowfire was being put through his paces by the gladiator trainer, Vlad Antlerkov.
    "You should keep your gladius higher," commented the trainer, between blows, "Or you'll never be as good as DrSpike!"

DrSpike, the current champion of all Rome emerged from a stable talking to Guynemer.
    "The reason I always held it higher is because this guy," he slapped Guynemer on the back "Is such a good smith and he makes such light rapierlike swords, that they weigh almost nothing."

Just them Spiffor turned up with a surprise.
    "Just to show I'm a decent boss," he said as he handed out some money, "I suggest you bet on Tuberski to win."

Everyone rushed over to Joncha who was always good for a bet, or a cheap whore, for that matter, and placed their bets for the next chariot race.

Tuberski won, of course, and the whole grop collected their winnings and headed off to Skanky's Taverna to celebrate.

"Do you want to buy a slave?" Kassiopeia asked Spiffor, attracted by the sound of money, but Spiffor turned him down.
    "I already have a good one," he said, indicating Zoppi.

Hercules tried to stop the growing group from entering the bar, blocking the doorway with his bulk, but when the authoritarian figures of MattH and General Ludd turned up in their uniforms, he relented and allowed them in.
    "Just don't make a mess of the furniture," he said.

The group met up with Jonny who started telling them an awful poem about silver circles untill Alva pulled his chair away.

So, everyone was happy, and drank wine together untill the sun came up.

"Morituri te salutamus" they sang to each other

-Jam
    Last edited by rah; April 26, 2004, 08:48.
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Code:
    mafia
    Name Job Status
    1. Zopperoni Slave Alive
    2. Theben Butcher Alive
    3. Alva Retired Legionary Alive
    4. Snowfire Aspiring Gladiator Alive
    5. General Ludd Pretorian Prefect Alive
    6. Joncha Pimp Alive
    7. ADG Fish Trader Alive
    8. Kassiopeia Slave Dealer Alive
    9. DrSpike Champion Gladiator Alive
    10. Jon Miller Librarian Alive
    11. Rah Brothel Owner Alive
    12. Jonny Poet Alive
    13. Guynemer Blacksmith Alive
    14. Spiffor Senator Alive
    15. GJRamsey Scribe Alive
    16. Chaunk Keeper of the Sacred Chickens Alive
    17. MattH Tribune Alive
    18. FlameFlash Saturnine Pontifex Alive
    19. Vlad Antlerkov Gladiator Trainer Alive
    20. Rasputin Jovian Pontifex Alive
    21. Hercules Strongman Alive
    22. Skanky Burns Tavern Owner Alive
    23. Tuberski Chariot Racer Alive
    24. Ghengis Farb Mosaic Artist Alive
    -Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Why, Zop! I didn't know you knew Latin.

Great start as always, Jammy.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Pimp again? Maybe it's because of my biggus dickus.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Thwoe him to the gwound!
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
            Why, Zop! I didn't know you knew Latin.
            I had six years of Latin

BTW, Jamske, it's Mafia XVII, not XVI.

Comment

I see you all are keeping up the story tradition! Very nice, Jam. As soon as my finals are over, I'll be sure to join in the fun for the next Mafia.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

Greatimus start Jamskimus!
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I had six years of Latin

BTW, Jamske, it's Mafia XVII, not XVI.
                  Ah, the benefits of a European education

The yanks 'n' ozzies need to find a online dictionary for this one

And you'd think that I would get the fricking Roman numeral right...

Recedite, plebes!

-Jam

Comment

Maybe you can find a nice mod to fix that title thread for you...

Comment

Perhaps my (somewhat limited) schooling in Latin will finally prove to be useful to me.

Nisi Mafias capemus, omni erimus mortui.
                      Tamen, si Mafias ceperimus, nos erimus laeti!

* Jonny decides that he needs to learn more Latin before he continues his futile attempts at writing Latin poetry.

Comment

what are the rules of these games?
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

How fitting that someone going by Trajanus would post here

This is a brief explanation of the game:

The Mafia game knows two time periods: Day and Night.
                          Night is when the Mafia strikes, and Day is when each villager posts one vote for who (s)he thinks the Mafia is. Votes are casted in bold, and once voted, one cannot change his/her vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            Maybe you can find a nice mod to fix that title thread for you...
                            Well now, if rah likes his employees well enough, as defined by the author of the story, maybe he'll be in a mood to fix the title up?
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

How can you vote for rah before there's even been a murder? Sounds awfully suspicious if you ask me.
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X