This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    Its not like I'm alone in not having them worked out. The only thing they do is seperate those who work them out from those who don't, providing easy kills for the former group without any need for strategy.
    That is so Sunday gamer! If you feel they act to separate good players from bad ones then for god's sake take the 5 whole minutes it will take to work them out.

Or we could just simplify the game to pander to unskilled players and level the playing field. Seriously .

Gladiator3 will become 'console' gladiator.

Comment

Its not like I'm alone in not having them worked out. The only thing they do is seperate those who work them out from those who don't, providing easy kills for the former group without any need for strategy.
      I'm sorry, but surely figuring out the rules of the game does count as strategy... (Albeit minimal strategy)

And here's a prettier way to do what I just did above:
      Code:

1 !abcbccba
      2 a!abcbccb
      3 ba!abcbcc
      4 cba!abcbc
      5 bcba!abcc
      6 cbcba!abc
      7 ccbcba!ab
      8 bccbcba!a
      9 abccccba!

Comment

Quite. And whilst the stats themselves might seem like they don't add much to the game, they do. They change the effective power bonus from a flat 0 to anything from -20 (for 2 defensive players) to +20 (for 2 attacking players) with a wide range of values in between. Thus they increase strategy through the need to tailor one's orders to the effective power bonus for the game. They add variety, and working out how they work takes no time. SC said the game must evolve, and I agree, but removing the stats would be a clear devolution.

Comment

Well I'm out then.
          Its too much like work and not enough like a game for my tastes.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Sadly, my parents have been very discouraging of my internet use lately (logging when I'm on, etc. ) and so it looks as if I won't be able to compete in this gladiator However I have done the spreadsheet template for J Bytheway.

It's pretty straightforward, in the columns W and A (B and C) put the gladiator's weapon and armour rating; in the columns At, D and P (D, E and F) put their attack, defense and power orders. Then the next three columns, marked Attack, Defense and Power (G, H and I) it will work out each of those, including weapons. The column marked damage (K) will give 0 if they have not hit, and a number, the damage hit, if they do hit. L works out the HP left after each round. Column M is marked Tied Hits, and when attack and defense are equal, it will go in here, and will be half strength. It is part of damage, but needs two columns, and is already included in the formula for the HP left column. Win and Draw (N and O) will give you the points scored, 3 for win, 1 for a draw. Points (P) is the amount of attack, defense and power points used in that hit, and Total Points (Q) adds the total of these, so you can quickly check that everyone has used 100. The table next to it updates itself with the scores for that round.

It looks complicated, but once you see it, it's pretty simple. Put in their orders, and the weapon and armour rating, and it'll do the rest. Since I won't be competing, if you need any help, just ask.

Actually, 'Poly won't let me post the spreadsheet I can easily email it, given an address to send it too
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
              Actually, 'Poly won't let me post the spreadsheet I can easily email it, given an address to send it too
              You could always zip it and post it - I can't believe it's too big to post...

Anyway, I've PMed you my email.

Comment

Have emailed it. Zipping would have been an idea, but I didn't think of that
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Still here, waiting for the GM to ask for orders.
                  oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Well I'm out then.
                    Its too much like work and not enough like a game for my tastes.
                    I don't see how this adds to work. Did you read the example I posted?
                    The most work comes in analyzing previous orders given by your opponent, which would occur in any version of Gladiator.

-Theben
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• EX: Player 1 selects a weapon rating of 12 and an armor of 8, for 20 total. Player B selects a weapon 9 and armor 11. They then fight each other. Player A selects 3 sets of orders:

12-08-10= 30
                      05-20-00= 25
                      20-05-20= 45, for a total of 100.

Player B has selected:
                      05-15-10= 30
                      20-00-20= 40
                      05-20-05= 30, for 100. No one line can equal more than 50.

These are in turn modified by their weapons and armor, and so look like this when complete:

Code:
                      Player A            Player B
                      att def pow      att  def   pow
                      18  12  22       9.5  20.5  19 
                      11  24  12       24.5 05.5  29
                      26  09  32       9.5  25.5  14
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• OK, I'll post the lineup later today, but we still need those last two W/A stats...

Comment

• EX: Player 1 selects a weapon rating of 12 and an armor of 8, for 20 total. Player B selects a weapon 9 and armor 11. They then fight each other. Player A selects 3 sets of orders:

12-08-10= 30
                          05-20-00= 25
                          20-05-20= 45, for a total of 100.

Player B has selected:
                          05-15-10= 30
                          20-00-20= 40
                          05-20-05= 30, for 100. No one line can equal more than 50.

These are in turn modified by their weapons and armor, and so look like this when complete:

Code:
                          Player A            Player B
                          att def pow      att  def   pow
                          18  12  22       9.5  20.5  19 
                          11  24  12       24.5 05.5  29
                          26  09  32       9.5  25.5  14

He's doing an accountancy course IIRC so it should be feasible.

Please Skanks take a look for 5 minutes and see if you get it............it will be a better tournament if you play.

Comment

• Damn, the Doc did not post his stats yet. What is he waiting on...me? I thought that I was waiting on him?
                            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• I'm not waiting on you, I just haven't decided yet.

Comment

• Well, both of you think faster! .

Comment

Working...
                                X