Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh No! Not another Baldur's Gate thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No! Not another Baldur's Gate thread!

Lots of people have put either one or both of the Baldur's Gate games on their lists of top 10 games, but this thread still doesn't attract that many people.
    Never mind, welcome to another edition of Baldur's Gate, a subdivision of the Ask Jamski corporation.

If anyone wants to add a suggestion to the list of ways in which Jamski can play his next game of BG2, then feel free to do so.

How about: a ninja! Duelled ranger/cleric, can't wear armour and has to fight bare-handed. (I only chose ranger because of the hide in shadows ability)
    I'm not sure of whether/which NPCs you can use, but it's a start. Drogue, I'm sure you can complicate things further.

Or a no-magic-items game.

Back to BG1 then.
    I finished the mines of Nashkel last night, killing the cleric there and taking his symbol back to Nashkel for my reward. I also discovered a really nice trick. This bloke turned up in Nashkel with an axe, and since it was an obvious assassination attempt, I cast Silence with Branwen and then just killed him before he could talk to me. With no reputation loss, despite cutting down a man in broad daylight, in full view of the Amn guards! I'm very chuffed with my new sneakiness, and am now off to pick up the braces (sic) of archery, hopefully using the same method. Is there anything worthwhile on the other side of the mines, or should I head back towards Beregost to buy some more tasty weapons and spells? I've now got a reputation of 18, so do you reckon I'd make a saving by donating money to the temple so I can get 20, and get the 50% hero bonus in shops earlier than if I'd been doing quests and other good deeds? (Can you tell I've been reading the manual, instead of just asking Jamski for advice?)

Question for the BG fans, since it is probably my next RPG. How necessary is it for me to play the original game and expansion to enjoy the sequel? In a way I'd rather just play the newer game, but I want to know what everyone thinks.

Comment

I don't know - I've only got the first one, and am currently looking to buy the second. If you just want videogaming fun, then I'm sure that you could start with the second game, but the first would perhaps offer a gentler introduction. If, however, you're a Jamski-esque obsessive-compulsive completist (), then you can take the character you built up in BG1 to use in BG2.
      They won't have all of the cool stuff you have picked up for them, but actions in the first game can influence how other characters treat you in the second game, which is great. You also get to play the trousers game.
      But BG2 has more interesting mods built for it, particularly if you're an old romantic.

Comment

Hmm, if you can take a kickass character into the second game surely that's a huge advantage? Or is the starting character also kickass?

Anyone here who has played BG2 by itself like to comment on whether they felt they should have played the first game?

Comment

Why do you only want to play the second game? If it's because of the graphics/interface improvements, there's a utility called BG1tutu that ports all the BG1 code (story, locations, etc.) into the BG2 engine. Thus, you can play the first one with all the upgrades.

Here's a link: http://japh.fwstudios.net/bg1tutu/

Also, regarding the "kickass" character, BG2 scales encounters based on the level of the party. So if you bring in a kickass character, the encounters will be more difficult than if you bring a not-so-kickass character.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Interesting. So many options............

Well I am still only say 15% through KOTOR, so I have plenty of time to decide based on later posts in this thread.

Comment

I assure you that there will be many, even before Jamski's contribution. You have my word of honour on that!

Comment

Really there's two ways of going about it, Doc.

Either play BG1 first, then the story isn't spoiled by playing it second or
                play BG2 first, so you're not put off the system by the BG1 engine, and its 600*420 resolution.

Personally, I think you're always a man who cares more about the gameplay than how it looks, so I really reccommend to bash through BG1 first, and then import your character into BG2.

Best of all, would be to use a programme called "BG1 Tutu" which converts the BG1 game into the BG2 engine. Of course you still need to have both games for this to work, and it still has some problems that need fixing.

As for an imported character being more powerful... a new character in BG2 starts at about the same level as one ending BG1, and all characters start BG2 with no equipment... its really a matter of story rather than power. Ok, if your PC used all the "Tomes" in BG1 they could have got better stats, but like I always say : you really don't need godlike stats to complete these games. You just need cheese

As regards Duck's "no magic items" idea... are you NUTS? That would be so hard! Or would I be allowed to use magic weapons+armour but no other items. If its really "no magic items at all" then I have to play with loads of spell casters... could be a tricky "finness" kind of game...

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  Question for the BG fans, since it is probably my next RPG. How necessary is it for me to play the original game and expansion to enjoy the sequel? In a way I'd rather just play the newer game, but I want to know what everyone thinks.
                  It's not necessary. Plot wise it might help, it explains why you start trapped in that dungeon, and about your heritage, but it's not necessary at all. It's a different quest, with different people involved. Gameplay wise it makes no difference. You can port a character from BGI to BGII, but I usually start with a new BGII character, since there's more to choose from there. The engine is slightly improved, there's more choice, it looks better... I'd say start with BGII. BGI is a great game too, and does have a fantastic plot, but you don't need it to play BGII.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Yes Drogue, but BG1 isn't so good if you played BG2 first. The sense of wonder in starting a new game of BG1 for the first time having a level 1 character in Candlekeep and exploring the world...

It can't be beaten, and there's no way to get it back.

Play BG1 first, you won't regret it, and then you'll enjoy BG2 more.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Can I have some more BG1 assistance please? (see first post)

I imagine that the trouble with having a BG1 character in BG2 is that you don't get the advantages of the various new character styles: the kits or the new classes. Or do you? If I took my ranger through then could I claim that she's been an archer or a stalker all the way through? By the way, she's just got the Cure light wounds ability, but I imagine it's once per day so I'll probably stick with my druid and cleric for the time being. I'd like another kick-ass fighter though, but since I got Jaheira's mate killed I'm a bit stuck for a good one.

Comment

Ah, I see.

You can't buy your Reputation higher than 18. Go and do something good

As for the Surface of Naskell Mines map, check out the artist in the SW corner, then talk to the fat man in the middle of the street in Naskell afterwards... you'll see.

I like your sneakyness

On the other side of the mines is a map with some hard fights and some great loot. Its worth a look - but probably not untill level 3+

-Jam

Comment

Oh, I did the Prism quest before I even went into the mines.
                          I've still got a bandit scalp that I seem to have been carrying around for ages, but the fat bloke in Nashkel won't give me any money for it? Shall I keep hold of it and keep asking people I meet about it? Where are these fancy wolves with the valuable fur to be found then?

Comment

Hang onto the bandit scalp, you can use it as soon as you return to Beregost after clearing the mines out. The wolves are HIDING

-Jam

Comment

Well I'll give them a good hiding, and take their hide from them, but I still want to know where to find them. I need all the money! So, er, I can go and do some really nice, lawful good kinda things. You know, er, donate to orphanages and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X