Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh No! Not another Baldur's Gate thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jamski and Drogue for posting your thoughts; I think I see Jamski's side more, since I probably wont play BG1 after BG2, and the graphics problem doesn't bother me too much.

However I have tonnes of games to play at the moment, so I still need to decide whether to just leave BG1. If I play it it could be months before I start BG2.

Comment

Starting in BG2 is not really the same. You can cast some nice spells immediately when you quit Irenicus' dungeon, like fireball etc.. It's no fun if you have not been a worthless piece of ****e first that gets whacked by gibberlings
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I thought we'd agreed to keep that quiet!

Oh no, I was killed by a single wolf in my first time outside Candlekeep. Now I can kill them just by looking at them. (slight exaggeration )

Comment

Stop it......you're making me want to play KOTOR. Mustn't give in to the dark side..............

Working from home in the Easter Holidays is hard.

Comment

Easter Holidays already Nice for some.

It's no fun if you have not been a worthless piece of ****e first that gets whacked by gibberlings
            Not just gibberlings, but a single unwell gibberling...

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
              Why do you only want to play the second game? If it's because of the graphics/interface improvements, there's a utility called BG1tutu that ports all the BG1 code (story, locations, etc.) into the BG2 engine. Thus, you can play the first one with all the upgrades.

Wow.

Looks like I might be playing BG1 again...
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Jamski, what did you think of my ninja idea? Basically, you'd be playing as a monk, but without the unarmed combat benefits of that class.
                I can't remember whether you can put weapon proficiencies onto unarmed in BG1. I doubt it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  Really there's two ways of going about it, Doc.

Either play BG1 first, then the story isn't spoiled by playing it second or
                  play BG2 first, so you're not put off the system by the BG1 engine, and its 600*420 resolution.

Personally, I think you're always a man who cares more about the gameplay than how it looks, so I really reccommend to bash through BG1 first, and then import your character into BG2.
                  I would also add, as someone who hasnt been spoiled by 21st century games, that I find the BG1 graphics quite attractive.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                    Stop it......you're making me want to play KOTOR. Mustn't give in to the dark side..............

Working from home in the Easter Holidays is hard.
                    working from home has always been difficult, and games make it harder. I avoid it if at all possible.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Ok, after I finish this file, I'm going to get Tutu and play the entire sequence, BGI through ToB. However I need an idea for a character. I want to roleplay, and so the character must be either Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral, since those are the ones I feel at home with (probably Neautral Good being the closest to myself). I could do a sorceror, but I always play as a mage, and fancy something a little different. A cleric maybe? Not a thief (Imoen will be in the party) or a mage.

Ideas:
                      Cleric (Lathander probably)
                      Fighter (kit?)
                      Ranger (kit?)
                      Monk (or is this a silly idea)
                      Cavaleir Paladin

I'm sorely tempted to do a fighter or a ranger that duals to a Cleric near the begining of BGII. As for kits, not a Kensai (clerics have good armour), not an Archer (clerics can't use bows) but pretty much anything else. Will end up being armed with Chrom Fayer, either dual wielded if a ranger, or with a shield if a fighter. Will get Mace of Disruption too, which dualed with Chrom Fayer would be quite an attack. Actually, I think I'll do this, it looks like a good PC.

So, which is better, Ranger or Fighter? The 5 points in weapon proficiency would be nice in BGI, but Rangers get 2 extra points in dual wielding (if they still do in Tutu). He will use mace, sling and warhammer. And what kit to use? A Berzerker might be a little out of character, I don't like Wizard Slayers and Kensai is out; Archer won't work without bows, Beastmaster won't without metal weapons (no hammer or mace), and Stalker doesn't take advantage of the fact that Clerics can use decent armour, but could still work. Also, get's me mage spells. So, plain Fighter, Stalker or plain Ranger? Will be Neutral Good, unless someone can think of a reason not to.

Alternatively, I could do a Druid, dualed to a Fighter or Ranger in BGII. However might be a little weird going that way.
                      Smile
                      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

working from home has always been difficult, and games make it harder. I avoid it if at all possible.
                        But the flesh is weak, and the games are calling me. "No one else will be here for 2 hours..........you've done enough work for today.........you *deserve* some gaming time.........play me........play me now!"

ARRGH!

I give in.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc

But the flesh is weak, and the games are calling me. "No one else will be here for 2 hours..........you've done enough work for today.........you *deserve* some gaming time.........play me........play me now!"

ARRGH!

I give in.
                          No, I meant I avoid working from home.

Comment

No offense, drouge, but you seem like a pretty boring roleplayer. Explore your evil, twisted, side.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Drogue - play as a bard.
                              In fact, solo it, Jamski style, as a bard.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

No, I meant I avoid working from home.
                                Yeah I agree it's not a good idea.......but right now it's a break between semesters, so there is no one around to dodge as much work as possible listen attentively to my pearls of wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                                X