Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumbold

That idea sucks

Both styles of architecture are correct. Just for different countries and levels of wealth. Neither look accurate in the way they have laid them out if they are attempting to represent colonies in the tropics.
    No, *you* suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      More denial.

Denial? Because I acknowledge that Pirates! looks beautiful?!

Ah, a Fez in the making you are.
      Unlike Fez, and you, I've actually been making arguments and not just saying "nyah, nyah, I'm right"

I've been telling you why I don't like the graphics and all you've done is deny it or insult me.

How is this not absolutely gorgeous?
      First of all, the badly textured beach. It's also a bit polygonal, but I can't really judge how the transition from beach to water looks without seeing it in motion. Secondly, the annoying 'mushroom' trees that look like little more than bumpy ground at first glance. And thirdly, the pixelated graphics of the ships - although that's probably due to jpeg compression. But really, everything kind of pales in comparrison to that giant ****ing cloud looming over the scene.

Of course, but the haters are insulting the graphics (so far).
      I'm not a hater, I just call it as I see it.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've actually been making arguments

Yes, 'arguments'.

If I said, it has good textures, looks to be in decent enough scale (because the cities in Civ2 were in perfect scale?), and the bright colors make it look great, would you consider them 'arguments'? Because the opposite were your 'arguments'.

I've been telling you why I don't like the graphics

Your first post on this thread:

Pretty ugly.

Yeah, you've just been saying you don't like the graphics. Suuure. You came in here looking for an argument, don't deny it .

The badly textured beach.

Why is it badly textured? It looks like a pretty fine beach to me.

The annoying 'mushroom' trees that look like little more than bumpy ground at first glance

The trees are very nicely done: they convey a 'foresty' feel without having as much trees as needed to have a forest.

pixelated graphics of the ships

The ships are done very nice. Look at the first ship battle picture on this thread.

everything kind of pales in comparrison to that giant ****ing cloud looming over the scene.

Beautiful, isn't it? Especially seeing the effects of other clouds on the sunlight.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Besides PR2 is being marketed as a trade simulation, like Imperialism II. Pirates! is an RPG/strategy game.
          I miss Uncharted Waters, now that was a great game.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

If I said, it has good textures, looks to be in decent enough scale, and the bright colors make it look great, would you consider them 'arguments'?
            Yes, if there was any truth to it.

Yeah, you've just been saying you don't like the graphics. Suuure. You came in here looking for an argument, don't deny it .
            I came in here 'cause I had nothing better to do, and I'm mildly interested in the game. I saw you call those horrible graphics pretty, and I had to say something.

Why is it badly textured? It looks like a pretty fine beach to me.
            The beach doesn't look like a beach - it's just glowing white, while the blotchy grass runs all over the place and goes crawling under the water.

The trees are very nicely done: they convey a 'foresty' feel without having as much trees as needed to have a forest.
            They're just brown sticks with a green semi-sphere stuck on top. You need to explore the wilderness more often. Where are the palm trees, anyways? These look more like willow trees than anythign else.

Beautiful, isn't it? Especially seeing the effects of other clouds on the sunlight.
            Yeah, too bad this isn't a flight sim.

(because the cities in Civ2 were in perfect scale?)
            Civ2 didn't go for the whole 'realistic 3D' aproach.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

if there was any truth to it.

But there is .

The beach doesn't look like a beach - it's just glowing white, while the blotchy grass runs all over the place and goes crawling under the water.

The beach looks like a fine beach to me. What colors are beaches in your area?

They're just brown sticks with a green semi-sphere stuck on top.

They have more texture than just being a sphere. Try to look closer.

Where are the palm trees, anyways?

Not every tree in the Caribbean is a palm.

Civ2 didn't go for the whole 'realistic 3D' aproach.

So? The 'realistic 3D' doesn't have to apply to everything. Obviously when you hit a city or a port or a ruins, you go to a close up screen. Cities just have to be able to be seen from a decent distance. And they are pretty decent looking to boot.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                Well, it's nice that you understand why it's ugly.
                You did not explain your own position.

Originally posted by General Ludd
                So you are arguing about style and theme rather than quality? I can accept that.
                Quality includes style and theme. If the setting is a run-down slum, quality would mean the images look like a run-down slum. Looking like a seaside resort doesn't help with the quality.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                  Port Royale 2's going to be way better than Pirates! 3.
                  It's Pirates! 2. You can't even get the name right.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Can we stop with the *****-waving over a game that is still over six months away from release?

Jesus H. Christ, you people need a hobby... I mean, another hobby.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• i haven't played the original pirates either... does it work on a win98 se pc?
                      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

• Originally posted by pg
                        i haven't played the original pirates either... does it work on a win98 se pc?
                        I played it on Win98.
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
                          Can we stop with the *****-waving over a game that is still over six months away from release?

Jesus H. Christ, you people need a hobby... I mean, another hobby.
                          Purile debate is at least closer to the intended purpose of this forum than purile games imo
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It's Pirates! 2. You can't even get the name right.
                            My bad its been so many years since they started working on it one almost thinks its the 3rd one.

Come to think of it, after Atari announced they would be working on Pirates! 2 Ascaron developed, tested, and released Port Royale. Then its successor Tortuga. And now they are going to have revamped, updated, and released Port Royale 2 all in less time than it took Atari to do Pirates! 2 and Pirates! 2 looks to have inferior graphics and gameplay!

That's sad.

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Guynemer
                              Jesus H. ChristQUOTE]

What does 'H' stand for?
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• My bad its been so many years since they started working on it one almost thinks its the 3rd one.

A year is a long time to create a game .

Comment

Working...
                                X