No announcement yet.

Sid Meier's Pirates! preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall we e-mail Firaxis a link to this thread?

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      While I wouldn't call either of these particularily good, the image from Pirates! looks likes it's been dunked in a bucket of water.
      The lighting from PR2 scene is completely foobared. You cannot place the sun by looking at it.

Both of these are pretty good, but Port Royale looks less like a disney film - again, Pirates! suffers from the primary colour syndrome.
      Different lighting. The PR one has a much lower intensity of light, which is coming from the side. That's why the colours are necessarily more subdued.

Hmmm, nicely rendered (or drawn, i don't know) and finely detailed 2D sprites vs. gotchy real time renderings?
      I don't know about you, but the houses in Pirates! 2 look real, while those in PR look like toy houses.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I really don't want to see ANY Pirates!2 fanbois months before a possible release...

I may have to scream if that happens.

Judging computer graphic by still pictures is always a big mistake.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Go Pirates 2! Go Pirates 2! We only have 14mins and 39 secs to save the earth! I love you Pirates 2.......

[It'll save everyone of us, stand for everyone of us!.......oh .....oh.....Pirates2!]
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

What do you mean, "Pirates!2 approaching" ? OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              I don't know about you, but the houses in Pirates! 2 look real, while those in PR look like toy houses.
              That would be you, perhaps you need to get a new prescription for your glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                What do you mean, "Pirates!2 approaching" ? OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!

-Jam
                touche!

Still maybe we should give Sid a last chance to prove he still has it(He has to be the ONLY designer left in the world who can tell a publisher to ram it up their A*se if need be?) What can possiblty go wrong with Pirates 2?
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  I really don't want to see ANY Pirates!2 fanbois months before a possible release...

I may have to scream if that happens.

Judging computer graphic by still pictures is always a big mistake.

-Jam
                  you can walk the plank then FOO!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Indeed... I really have to wonder about those people saying PR2 is better than Pirates!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Indeed... I really have to wonder about those people saying PR2 is better than Pirates!
                      We're the ones with the up to date eyewear prescriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I'm not saying that PR2 is better than Pirates, I'm just saying that Pirates! is ugly. And so far, the only defense has been denials, attacks against Port Royale, and lame "bad lighting" cop-outs.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

In the right lighting Pirates2 looks much better. But the lighting system would run you about $5000.

Comment

I'm not saying that PR2 is better than Pirates, I'm just saying that Pirates! is ugly. And so far, the only defense has been denials, attacks against Port Royale, and lame "bad lighting" cop-outs.
                            I see a Fez in-coming
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I see a Fez in-coming
                              Please.

Want to explain how Port Royale's supposedly questionable use of shadows and shading stops Pirates! from looking like washed out crap?

Want to explain the relevance of lighting in scenes which have static lighting?

Want to explain why you think houses with pixelated edges, gaudy lighting, and no decour or flavour look more 'real' than the high-res and highly detailed sprites?
                              Last edited by General Ludd; March 17, 2004, 23:08.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I see a Fez in-coming

Indeed... it's incredible. To even say PR2's graphics is better than Pirates! with a straight face shows an amazing ability to block out reality.

I'm not saying that PR2 is better than Pirates

Yes you are... I was talking about the graphics .
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X