what constrains your gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I deleted it all

Time mainly, and then lack of interest in ANOTHER game of x. We need more decent RPGs and TBS games.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
      3. My health

That is a fifth reason - you could have good games to play, and time to play them, but you choose other uses for your time because the impact of game playing on eyes, back, etc.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        You're married right? You missed out the most important one - our girlfriends and wives
        I consider that a subset of time - some of the uses of time are established by my wife.

I suppose if your wife objected to you playing too much, even if she had no other use for your time, that would be an independent constraint.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

They always have a preferred use for that time. And playing and listening to them at the same time are not allowed!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            5. Replayability: I play games over and over and over (of course, I choose games that are highly replayable). Therefore, there is no need for me to get many games.

well im with you, but i consider that really part of time.
            Recently i went back and played a Civ2 scenario (Menelik) My latest acquisition, Panzer General 2, has lots of campaigns and scenarios. I've only played through the first day of Gettysburg on SMG. Ive never played through SMAC on transcend level, or played all the factions. If i get finished with my current wargames kick, ive got lots of RPG gaming to do - Ive got planescape torment which ive hardly touched, and ive only played through BG1 once . And yeah, i even feel a slight craving to go back and play with simtower

But IF i had infinite time, i could do all of the above, and still have time left for new games. Of course time isnt infinite, neither is money, the games available on the market, health, etc.

So i see most of us as constrained by either time or money or the market. Those of us who either A. Have less time or B. Like replaying games tend to be constrained by time (or health)

Those who have lots of time and dont like to replay so much are more likely constrained by money or the games on the market. Either there are games they want, but they cant afford them (people with limited money and a relatively wide taste in games) or they can afford new games but cant find anything they want to buy (they have LOTS of Euros, or they have a relatively narrow taste in games)

Replayability and time of course indirectly affect the cost of games, etc. I spent a considerable period of time when the only game i played was civ2 - different maps, strategies, scenarios, etc. And we know how long it takes to play through Civ2. By the time i moved on there was huge backlog of games i was interested in but had never played. By the time i got around to them they were in the bargain bin. Im still working through them now.

Comment

Re: what constrains your gaming?

Originally posted by lord of the mark

So what constrains you - time, games in the market, your PC, or money? Or something else i havent thought of.
              Nothing does - that's the whole problem.

Comment

Wife & time. I've got about 5-7 games that I've bought, but haven't the time to play yet.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                  They always have a preferred use for that time. And playing and listening to them at the same time are not allowed!

Ive tried that, but it tends to annoy queen of the mark.
                  It also presents another advantage to RTS.

I can PAUSE RTS. TBS is great IF its my turn when QOTM has something to say. If its the AI's turn, I miss what the AI did. QOTM has kinda figured out that i cant pause during the AI's turn in TB game, but that doesnt stop her. Oh well, i can consider that a realistic part of the for of war - a temporary failure of intell.

Comment

She who must be obeyed, basically.

You also forgot to mention "a hard drive full of filth" as a reason why certain people hereabouts may not play games as often as they might.
                    Well thats just a PC constraint. You can alway get a bigger hard drive, right?

Comment

Re: Re: what constrains your gaming?

Originally posted by bfg9000

Nothing does - that's the whole problem.
                      to you and osweld - obviously something does.

there are 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
                      Thats 8760 hours a year.

Do you spend, say 20000 hours a year gaming??

You cant spend more than 8760 hours a year gaming. So you are constrained by time.

I guess I need to restate this, or reexamine it somehow.
                      My assumption is that if you had enough money, time, etc youd play more games. If you have enough money and time, and you dont want to play more, its a sign that good games arent availble.

i suppose someone who buys and plays dozens of games a year isnt inclined to say that the lack of games is a constraint, even though they arent motivated to spend more time or money on gaming. I guess they would say that they have reached the point of zero return in utility on additional games, EVEN IF more brilliant games were released. And even they had more money, or more time. There just no way utility for game playing can be positive, beyond a certain number of hours per year.

Comment

All right! Stop getting all technical!

You're starting to make me feel guilty for enjoying games.
                        The duchess o' york would be grateful to you if you managed that though. SG, -Jrabbit, Old n Slow et al, less so.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                          1: LACK OF $$$$$!!!
                          2: Lack of games with good multiplayer
                          3: Time

People who prefer MP face additional issues, that tend to make the constrainst more binding.

First, as BPB says, there is the issue of some games being really focused on SP - especially if youre NOT an RTS fan.

Second - since MP players generally need to play recent games, bargain bin diving isnt really available as a way to save money.

Third - time constraints are more complex, since you dont just face the issue of how many hours a week you play, but you need to be able to commit a certain block at a certain time of day (assuming youre not playing PBEM - even that could be an issue - i often go for days without playing at all, and so im reluctant to commit to a PBEM game)

Comment

All right! Stop getting all technical!
                            But i love this sort of thing - maybe thats why TBS (and related "serious" pausable RT) is still my favorite genre?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: what constrains your gaming?

Originally posted by lord of the mark

to you and osweld - obviously something does.

No, nothing does. If I always play for as long as I want whenever I get the urge, then there are no constraints.

Comment

Less and less interested by games, if I install one and have a good time with it, I'll play it full time for about two days and start to get bored/annoyed with it.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X