what constrains your gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what constrains your gaming?

Seems to me that for any given gamer theres one of four reasons you dont play more games

1. The games on the market

This is the thing that most often generates interesting threads on forums like this - on the lines of "i only play TBS games, and theres only X many TBS games published a year, and ive already bought and played my fill of the best 3 games, and the rest suck - cant wait till rise of orion dominions 4 (or whatever) comes out so i can play again

2. The computer

"the only game i really want to play is Shoot Em Up 4D With Instant Multisensory Rendering, but i my old rig wont run it, im waiting till i get a PC with the a P6, 5 GHZ CPU with Ultra Hyperthreading, 3 gig of RAM, and the HAL 9000 video chip. Cheap at only $4000.

3. Money

"cripes, im paying my own tuition, and i cant hardly afford to pay for games (and i dont pirate, etc) and ive already played out the bargain bin games i have any interest in - when will MOO3 be sold for five bucks?"

4. Time

This is what actually constrains me. (well primarily) Really between work, family, and non gaming leisure pursuits I really have only a limited time for gaming. Given that i mainly buy older games, which therefore have been pretty thoroughly reviewed, i rarely buy a game which doesnt give me a pretty considerable amount of gameplay. I really cant see needing to buy more than a half dozen to a dozen games a year, and that leaves plenty of old games available that i have at least some interest in. Im only beginning to be limited in certain subgenres.

So what constrains you - time, games in the market, your PC, or money? Or something else i havent thought of.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Nothing does.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Mainly time. Being out the house 12 hours a day working/commuting. Finance isn't so bad mainly because my other half is quite understanding but also if i'm conquering the universe upstairs i'm not down the pub drinking my money away or (even worse) talking to strange women.

and perhaps for number 5 - apathy or laziness. I've got a stack of games that i put to one side for when i have time to read the rules, play the tutorial etc but its sometimes easier to play the games you already know ie another round of Civ or face the huge manual for Uncommon Vaour ?

Comment

You're married right? You missed out the most important one - our girlfriends and wives (for those who don't spend so much time playing that they don't have one. )

Mine are 4) and my girlfriend, though I am a master at getting enough hours in each week anyway.

Comment

Re: what constrains your gaming?

I got two constraints.

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          4. Time
          College.

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
          3. My health
          Gotta give those eyes a rest every now and then.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

5. Replayability: I play games over and over and over (of course, I choose games that are highly replayable). Therefore, there is no need for me to get many games.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Time.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Apolyton .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Time: some of us have jobs, SO's, are married, or has something else to do IRL.

Computer: I can't be arsed to upgrade my Wintel box just to play a new game. Maybe this is a bit of apathy in there as well.

Games: Well, this is not really a problem even though most new games suck. See above.

Money: Cost is not a problem. Whether I think the game is worth the $ is.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

4. mainly.

Between work, and just physical limitations of not being able to sit on one place for 20 hours on end playing a computer game (although I have been known to do about 20 hours back in my civ2 days ). But I just can't sit down that long anymore.

And my work days are 10 hours long. So I really don't play any games during my work week. I usually end up posting here

As for 1. Not so much. Although I don't play a lot of genres Although I got some shooters and FPS with my sound card. Splinter Cell and such. I may try them. But I usually suck at them, and never play games I can't finish- it makes me feel like a failure But there are still many rpg's I never play. I heard good things about Arx Fatalis, but haven't checked it out yet, but I will soon. I don't have any time for mmorpg's, so I never touch them.

2. computer. I just got a new one. It's not top of the line, but can run pretty much any game out right now. This goes along with money. I have plenty of money, if I wanted to I could have got the 64 bit athalon processor and Radeon 9800 XT video card. But I don't need that because I don't play shooters. So I got a 9600 XT card..
                    3. money. I have plenty of it.
                    Last edited by Dis; March 3, 2004, 02:36.

Comment

1: LACK OF $$$$$!!!
                      2: Lack of games with good multiplayer
                      3: Time
                      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Apolyton .
                        Maybe I should have added this one also. Still, you can't play games whilst at work right?

Comment

I would have to say "interest". I generally could not be bothered loading up and playing a game.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

That of course reflects poorly on the quality of them games.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

She who must be obeyed, basically.

You also forgot to mention "a hard drive full of filth" as a reason why certain people hereabouts may not play games as often as they might.

Comment

Working...
                              X