No announcement yet.

other historically themed TBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in your Definition Railroad Tycoon would be no Strategy GAme?
    ;=)
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
      So in your Definition Railroad Tycoon would be no Strategy GAme?
      ;=)

Sorry for the confusion.

In my original post i was asking for all strategy games other than war games.

1. Is game x a stragegy game T or F
      2. Is game x turnbased T or F
      3. Is game x historically themed T or F
      4. Is game x a model of a particular historical war (of 10 years or less)

If 1 or 2 are false than the game is not a TBS (Baldurs gate, Age of Kings, etc)
      If 1 and 2 are true, but 3 is false, than the game is a TBS with a non-historical theme (SMAC, MOO, MOM, etc)
      If 1,2 and 3 are true, and 4 is true, then the game is a TB wargame (Panzer General, TOAW, RELee: CWG, etc)
      If 3 is false, than 4 must be false (how can a game confined to a historical war not be a history themed game - C and C maybe?)
      If 1, 2, and 3 are true but 4 is false, then the game fits - Civ, Imp, Colonization, Conquest of the New World - and yes, RRT
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Now if only EU II was TBS .. does RTS with Puase option count ? ;=)
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

i was mainly trying to confirm some things about the period 1992 (intro of windows games) to 2000 (date my dinosaur comp can no longer play most current games)

Most of the intersting genre busting historical games(EU series, TW series) were after that point. So EU is from all i hear a great game, and one of my principle motives to get a new PC, but i didnt mean to include it in this list.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Legions and Chariots of War.
            Strategic Comand
            Operational Art of War
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
              You could try 'Centurian - Defender of Rome', i cant remember who published it but it was a fun TBS game.
              EA published it (some of the developers were people who had worked in Cinemaware, IIRC. However, IIRC, the battle portions of the game were in real time, no?
              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

yeah the battles were real time(but you could pause), but the main map planning bit was tbs, oh except for the chariot races and gladiator fights - they were arcade games!!!! very fun game - it was crazy to mix all those different styles
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Colonization
                  Civilization (the Avalon Hill one)
                  Conquest of the New World
                  Romance of the Three Kingdoms

etc.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                    yeah the battles were real time(but you could pause), but the main map planning bit was tbs, oh except for the chariot races and gladiator fights - they were arcade games!!!! very fun game - it was crazy to mix all those different styles
                    One of Cinemaware's trademarks was that they always combined a lot of different gameplay styles, and usually did it well

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                      Now if only EU II was TBS .. does RTS with Puase option count ? ;=)
                      I think all the EU style games are much closer to TBS than RTS games. Every single event of any importance can be set to pause the game, so effectively you get 1 turn per day and the computer hits the 'next turn' button for you if absolutely nothing interesting happened that turn.

Hardly surprising considering EU is adapted from a boardgame with the real time elements creeping in to make multiplayer viable.
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                      X