other historically themed TBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other historically themed TBS?

Ive played Civ2 for some time, and recently started playing Imp2.

Im somewhat familiar with TBS wargames, though RELee:CWG is the only one TBS computer war game i have.

Im curious if there are any other historically themed TBS games other than wargames that are not part of the Civ and Imp lines?

I cant really think of any, other than obscure civ knockoffs (ancient empires?) and ported board games (history of the world). Theres Medieval TW, but thats more a hybrid (and, in any case wont run on my old computer - so im particularly interested in 2000 and earlier releases)

Not quite sure where the cut-off for war games is for this purpose, but i think of even grand strategy games like 3rd reich and Axis and Allies as war games. Anything where the time period is less than 10 years and covers one historic war.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Unless you are a diehard CTP hater you could do worse than to check out 'Call To Power' and 'Call To Power 2'. Like Civ in many ways, and very cheap to buy.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
      Unless you are a diehard CTP hater you could do worse than to check out 'Call To Power' and 'Call To Power 2'. Like Civ in many ways, and very cheap to buy.
      too close to civ, from what ive heard - ie virtually part of the Civ series, despite being designed and published (both?) by activision. So in my mind ive already checked that box.

Oh, i forgot Colonization. Thats historical and TBS, isnt it?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

too close to civ, from what ive heard - ie virtually part of the Civ series, despite being designed and published (both?) by activision. So in my mind ive already checked that box.

Oh, i forgot Colonization. Thats historical and TBS, isnt it?
        and to clarify - its not that i only want a historical themed TBS - then i suppose i might buy CTP. Its more like a neurotic need to complete my "collection" before (or as) I turn to other themes/genres.

Comment

Well the CTP games may well become cult classics over a few more years, they are getting a little harder to get hold of but the active modding community here on Apolyton should ensure replay value.And i feel they are worthy of a place in any collection - if you like that kinda thing. You could try 'Centurian - Defender of Rome', i cant remember who published it but it was a fun TBS game. And yes Colonisation is a great game too, worthy of getting for your collection
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
            Well the CTP games may well become cult classics over a few more years, they are getting a little harder to get hold of but the active modding community here on Apolyton should ensure replay value.And i feel they are worthy of a place in any collection - if you like that kinda thing. You could try 'Centurian - Defender of Rome', i cant remember who published it but it was a fun TBS game. And yes Colonisation is a great game too, worthy of getting for your collection
            mobygames says it was designed by "bits of magic" and published by EA - way back in 1990 for DOS and Amiga (they also say its real time )

While my PC can of course run DOS games, that wasn't exactly what i had in mind. Thanks anyway, though.

Comment

History Line ahh historic &TBS but not like Civ
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                History Line ahh historic &TBS but not like Civ
                Never heard of it - whats it about?

Comment

World War I its a SpinOff of the Battle Isle Series.
                  The Dogs should have it.

Comment

you might want to try EU 1&2 with the latter being better......

SMAC was good...... the ctp series does have a cult following..reminds me of civ3 now tho.......

SEiV but that is space like smac....

smac is just civ on alpha centauri...

TOT is another civ game
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

^ EU is historical yet no Tbs
                      the others are TBS but not too historical themed ;=)

Comment

^ EU is historical yet no Tbs
                        the others are TBS but not too historical themed ;=)
                        Precisely - i know there are lots of other interesting TBS (i recently bought SMAC, and its not quite Civ) And I know there are other interesting historical strat games - EU will likely be my first game once ive gotten a new PC.

But its striking how few major historically themed TBS's other than war games there are.

Comment

what about that 'Conquest of the New World'? Which I personally dont have?
                          Aint that TBS and Historic?

Comment

World War I its a SpinOff of the Battle Isle Series.
                            The Dogs should have it.
                            according to the site where i found a brief description, it covers 1914 to 1918 - playable as France or Germany.
                            IE a war-historical game by my definition (covers one actual historical conflict, less than 10 years)

A history strategy game, to my way of thinking, covers a period of peace before or after war, or allows for alternative wars - thus Hearts of Iron would (marginally) be a strategy game - Third Reich would be a war game. Granted theres a grey area here.

I gave the 10 year limit - a game that covered the entire 30 years war, with all the diplomatic and political machinations, would be a strategy game, IMO.

Comment

'Chariots of War' just came out, though I haven't had the time to delve into it, though I do have it.
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                              X