No announcement yet.

Cliches in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think SoF 1 is a pretty racist game...

Comment

In which way is SoF1 a racist game?
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The part in an Arab state

Comment

Hmmm... I guess it's a long time, since I last played it, so I don't remember that part... well... I almost only remember the cutting arms, etc off their bodies

Comment

Dwarves with SCOTTISH ACCENTS! Good lord, does every dwarf in the imaginary universe hail from Scotland?

Also, the arcade shooting games. How the hell does a person carry so much ammo? Also, how does a pistol have so much damn power and versatility to be able to take down just about everything that exists, human or not?(Cough houseofthedead Cough)

Another one: Evil geniuses who build uber-robots with one blindingly obvious weak spot (i.e. a scar on the chest, etc.).
            Talent Optional

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
              Originally posted by St Leo
              Does anyone else hate games that have stories? Those really tick me off. I want some free-form action where I am shooting aliens because I am a deranged psychopath and not because they are actually threatening.
              that's called multiplaying

House of the Dead was cool b/c you could shoot anywhere and blow that part off (to a point), not like VirtuaCop, etc., where you hit them anywhere. Hehe in the PC version of HotD you could change the color of the blood to purple, yellow, etc.
              April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
              Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

In FPS's, why are you always the sole defender of Earth as it is being overrun by aliens? Why can't you, for once, be the sole alien commando ordered to infiltrate the Earth base?
                The only counter-example I can think of off the top of my head is when you're fighting the Nazis in Wolfenstein.
                April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  Does anyone else hate games that have stories? Those really tick me off. I want some free-form action where I am shooting aliens because I am a deranged psychopath and not because they are actually threatening.
                  i AGREE. Pacman didnt have a story plot. Whats up with this Make-games-basically-movies-that-you-point-and-click trend?

Also.

-Hero or group of very few heros kill like millions of bad guys.
                  -Boss is the most powerful fighter. (are all bosses brutes not thinkers? )
                  -(and in continuation) Boss is hundred times stronger than his own army (What the **** is the point of paying these dumb henchman then?)
                  :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Smurf42
                    In FPS's, why are you always the sole defender of Earth as it is being overrun by aliens? Why can't you, for once, be the sole alien commando ordered to infiltrate the Earth base?
                    The only counter-example I can think of off the top of my head is when you're fighting the Nazis in Wolfenstein.
                    alien VS predator: alien campaign.

If you are referring to how thee's always more bad guys then good guys. I agree (look at my first rant on above post) For a change I want billions of good guys VS few bad guy game.
                    :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                      If you are referring to how thee's always more bad guys then good guys. I agree (look at my first rant on above post) For a change I want billions of good guys VS few bad guy game.
                      Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                        -Boss is the most powerful fighter. (are all bosses brutes not thinkers? )
                        -(and in continuation) Boss is hundred times stronger than his own army (What the **** is the point of paying these dumb henchman then?)
                        I like how Deus Ex goes against this trend. In several levels, the boss at the end actually gives up without a fight. It makes the game more realistic - not every person is willing or eager to give their lives for a cause.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Good notes from everybody.

I am glad to hear that fallout actually beats lots of trends on RPG rants.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            In which way is SoF1 a racist game?
                            With the fall of the Soviet Bloc as the arch enemy of the West, computer games are getting more creative at picking alternative bad guys. I don't think SoF1 was particularly racist in having some opponents from the Arab states, and I don't recall racist language being used.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

SoF, racist?
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I heard that's the way the Russian Front version of Close Combat played.
                                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X