Help with depression.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankychan
    hmmm, well...I do spend time with my friends but I don't know...it's like somethings bothering me and I just can't place it.
    I've had this feeling my whole life. Trust me, if your friends want to do something, just do it. Once you're out with them, you'll forget all about what's bothering you, which usually isn't worth all the worry in the first place.

Don't get in the habit of not doing stuff, as it gets easier and easier to just stay in by yourself, brooding over your problems.

It may not be the easiest road to take sometimes, but it certainly better than nothing.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I've known a few people IRL who have suffered from severe depression, yet I still don't really have an answer for how to help it.

I guess try and focus on short-term things that you're looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        AKA "Seasonally Affective Depressive Syndrome".
        SADS stands for something else more commonly where I'm from...a fatal syndrome in fact.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Many years ago, I suffered from prolonged bouts of depression, sometimes lasting up to a month.

I found the best way to snap out of it (at least in the short run) was physical activity--a mile walk usually did it. Sitting around thinking of your depression only deepens it.

Comment

Same here. I pretty much drank for five years straight to deal with my depression.

If I don't exercise every single day, my mind bogs down and I feel those bad moods come right back. Eating healthy, ample sleep, and meditation I've also found pretty helpful.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Go dellusional, it seems to have fixed my depression for the time being... I'm too focused on being the evil incarnate to have time to deal with the major kill-yourself depression that I have been suffering from for what is it now 3 years.....

It's only a matter of time before mine comes back in full swing..... I know this.... already I'm getting quite apathetic about school... sleeping for weeks on end..... and I'm dreading the isolation of the summer.....

My depression went a way in one day, something snapped or something in my mind I haven't a freaking clue how it happened.... made no rational sense, I still should be depressed its not logical that I'm not.

Wait it out I guess.... I know it sucks, but it will get better eventually.... how long it stays better is anybody's guess.... some people get over it indefinately... some never... it just depends.

Good luck.
              "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

SADS stands for something else more commonly where I'm from...a fatal syndrome in fact.
                Are you sure it's called SADS, and not SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)?

SAD/SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder/Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome) typically is a result of a lower amount of sunlight.

We’re so sorry; this page doesn’t appear to be working. We recently launched a new website at www.mhanational.org. While this is an exciting update for us, it can cause issues for some of our users who are trying to find our content. We tried to fix as many links as possible, but we may have missed some.  Let us try to help you get to where you’re going: Try using our search function at the top of the screen and type in keywords.

Seasonal Affective Disorder
                What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
                Some people suffer from symptoms of depression during the winter months, with symptoms subsiding during the spring and summer months. This may be a sign of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD is a mood disorder associated with depression episodes and related to seasonal variations of light.

SAD was first noted before 1845, but was not officially named until the early 1980’s. As sunlight has affected the seasonal activities of animals (i.e., reproductive cycles and hibernation), SAD may be an effect of this seasonal light variation in humans. As seasons change, there is a shift in our “biological internal clocks” or circadian rhythm, due partly to these changes in sunlight patterns. This can cause our biological clocks to be out of “step” with our daily schedules. The most difficult months for SAD sufferers are January and February, and younger persons and women are at higher risk.
                Symptoms Include:

regularly occurring symptoms of depression (excessive eating and sleeping, weight gain) during the fall or winter months.
                full remission from depression occur in the spring and summer months.
                symptoms have occurred in the past two years, with no nonseasonal depression episodes.
                seasonal episodes substantially outnumber nonseasonal depression episodes.
                a craving for sugary and/or starchy foods.
                Possible Cause of this Disorder
                Melatonin, a sleep-related hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain, has been linked to SAD. This hormone, which may cause symptoms of depression, is produced at increased levels in the dark. Therefore, when the days are shorter and darker the production of this hormone increases.

Treatments
                Phototherapy or bright light therapy has been shown to suppress the brain’s secretion of melatonin. Although, there have been no research findings to definitely link this therapy with an antidepressant effect, many people respond to this treatment. The device most often used today is a bank of white fluorescent lights on a metal reflector and shield with a plastic screen. For mild symptoms, spending time outdoors during the day or arranging homes and workplaces to receive more sunlight may be helpful. One study found that an hour’s walk in winter sunlight was as effective as two and a half hours under bright artificial light.

If phototherapy doesn’t work, an antidepressant drug may prove effective in reducing or eliminating SAD symptoms, but there may be unwanted side effects to consider. Discuss your symptoms thoroughly with your family doctor and/or mental health professional.
                Last edited by kring; April 21, 2003, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by kring

Are you sure it's called SADS, and not SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)?

SAD/SADS typically is a result of a lower amount of sunlight.
                  No, SADS: Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Frank:

i'm fighting it off myself. the best way i've found how to do it without medication or much counseling is to get one of your friends to kick your ass out of bed every morning, and drag it to class.

it didn't work today, unfortunately, which resulted in me staying in bed from 7, when i woke up, to 11.30.

don't think too much outside of a regular routine.

hope yours ends soon.
                    B♭3

Comment

thanks guys. You guys are giving me some good tips. I'll try the meditation and exercise (i thought i was doing enough )

I'll give you guys a heads up on my condition.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                      X