Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pictures you posted are also pretty cool too Heresson

Comment

They preserved much more of the past days... I can't image western monks not washing themselves at all to not let them think of each other as possible sexual partners

just look at that picture paiktis posted, they built the monastery on the top of the mountain but the river is all the way back in the valley.

would you go all that way just to wash?

All in all not a very "prefered" people we were

damn collaborators you were

Comment

Who instigated the Rebelion? Us and the Serbs. So quite your whining

Comment

Los Angeles has a newly build cathedral just a block from where I work. It's an untra-modern piece of junk, built to show off the glories of the architect, not the glories of God. What I wouldn't give for one of the European Gothic cathedrals.

Comment

Here are a few NYC cathedrals:

St. Patrick, main catholic one:

St John the Divine: (pic of model)

It is still under construction. It will be the biggest Christian house of worship in the world. Trully, it is huge, the Statue of Liberty (without its pedestal) could fit inside the main dome area, standing!

Now, the following is just a church, not a cathedral, but its nice:
            Riverside church and Union Theological seminary:

Last edited by GePap; April 21, 2003, 11:51.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This is St Mary Redcliffe church. It's just a parish church, but as big as a lot of cathedrals and is covered in spectacular statuary. It's described as "the fairest church in all England".
              Attached Files
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Churchs are architectual marvels... Anyone ever read Pillars of the Earth... great book
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah... too bad the old practice of early Christians was to build on top of ancient temples of the dodecatheon, sometimes even using the material of those temples.

It was a veritable destruction AFAIK but also can be perceived as continuity.

Comment

St. Paul's Cathedral Pittsburgh, PA

"I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

One place which always amazed me was Mont St. Michel. The pastel-colored room at the top makes it seem like you are on another planet.

I never really liked Koln or Chartres. Both are too dark, black, and gothic. I thought Notre Dame was really interesting because you could see the evolution in construction techniques over the 200 years it took to construct.
                      Attached Files
                      Old posters never die.
                      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

honestly, i have to admit i don't know too much about architecture, meaning that i might be wrong describing cathedral of christ the king as gothic. it might be neo-gothic, but it is definitely in that vein.

holy name interior

christ the king
                        B♭3

Comment

York Minster:

Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Another really amazing church is Ste. Chapelle in Paris. The architect of Notre Dame built it to prove that you only need butresses, not walls, to hold up the roof. The walls of this church are almost entirely glass.
                            Attached Files
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Faith Tabernacle

A worthy mention is the largest church in the world (by seating capacity), the Faith Tabernacle in Lagos, Nigeria. Unlike some local buildings this one is of all Nigerian construction.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also worthy is the magnificent National Mosque, Abuja, Nigeria.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X