Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me what to think (the issue of gay marriages)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what to think (the issue of gay marriages)

My main concern is the re-creation of families in America as I feel that if we re-create families we won't have any problems.

Gay marriages though have always perplexed me and I have switched back and forth (maybe some people here remember) between being in favour of them and being against. I've come to two conclusions though...

1) Gay marriages should be allowed because love is rare in today's world and those that truly love each other and wish to have that divine union of marriage should definintely be allowed to be married. If they will love a child and raise him properly then they should be allowed to adopt children. Thus, family would be aided by allowing for gay marriages.

2) Gay marriages should not be allowed because gay marriages create the idea of 'alternative' families that is what has now legitimized dead-beat fathers and all this bull**** today. If you take away the ideal of a husband and wife and their children then maybe no one will ever seek this ideal. Therefore, family would be harmed by gay marriages.

What do yall think? Can this be resolved?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Re: Tell me what to think (the issue of gay marriages)

Originally posted by Albert Speer
    2) Gay marriages should not be allowed because gay marriages create the idea of 'alternative' families that is what has now legitimized dead-beat fathers and all this bull**** today. If you take away the ideal of a husband and wife and their children then maybe no one will ever seek this ideal. Therefore, family would be harmed by gay marriages.
    "Legitimized" dead-beat fathers?

Gay marriages do add to the idea of alternative families, but your connection between "alternative" and "piece of sh!t losers who ought to be publically flogged" is flawed. Allowing gay marriages most certainly WILL NOT make everyone want to go gay and abandon traditional families. Again, flawed.

But good for you that you're asking yourself these questions and actually THINKING about them instead of making snap judgments and spouting vitrol.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Albert, never let anyone tell you what to think, use your head for something more than keeping your ears apart.

It's okay to ask opinions, but you have to make the decision.

I have no problem with gay marriages. Let homosexuals have the same chance to screw up their lives as heterosexuals.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

no it won't make everyone become gay but it will open up the idea of other kinds of alternative families that may be harmful... also just the idea that there can be more than a husband and wife seems to spurn on ideas that family doesn't matter and that males shouldn't give a damn about their kids or their kid's mothers.

then again... love is love and anywhere that it exists... it should be cherished and allowed to grow. so i dont know
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

@ Tuberski

AS: Let me try it this way, most marriages (gay or straight) are based on the idea of joining 2 consenting adults. If an individual in the couple is caught cheating on the other spouse, that marriage my suffer, even end. Most people aren't comfortable with the idea of letting other people into the one-on-one relationship when married.

The practice of having multiple husbands/wives pre-dates written word, so why aren't most marriages multiple partner marriages (religious and Human laws aside)?

Comment

DRose:

Multiple partner marriages were never common. At most, the elite in a community would have a small harem (hell, sultans had hundreds of women in their harem) but the vast majority (99%) had single partner marriages.

but your point doesn't change what i said... gay marriages still bring in the idea of alternative families that can jeopardize the idea of responsible families.

(don't think though that i have sold myself on anti-gay marriage though... as soon as a anti-gay marriage person comes here (maybe Lincoln?) I'll be attacking him)

Comment

(And I'd be cheering you on... )

Ok, but what is your definition of a "responsible" family? I think most people have similar ideas, but for the purpose of discussion...

Comment

Adults who care about each other and their kids and provide for their kids.

of course, gays who want to be married and have kids will most likely fulfil that criteria. still, there's a risk that just coming up with the idea that different kind of families aside from the standard man-woman nuclear family are legit might cause problems... people may no longer seek the modern ideal of husband/wife families and instead we'll have even more problems with single parents and divorces and whatever other crazy alternative families.

Comment

no it won't make everyone become gay but it will open up the idea of other kinds of alternative families that may be harmful... also just the idea that there can be more than a husband and wife seems to spurn on ideas that family doesn't matter and that males shouldn't give a damn about their kids or their kid's mothers.

then again... love is love and anywhere that it exists... it should be cherished and allowed to grow. so i dont know
                  I understand what ur saying I think.

Basically you're saying that if there is an alternative form of marriage that is accepted, then you're afraid that the traditional view of "marriage" will be challenged more often and people will come up with all sorts of "experimental form" that is horrible and doomed to fail?
                  :-p

Comment

1) Gay marriages should be allowed because love is rare in today's world and those that truly love each other and wish to have that divine union of marriage should definintely be allowed to be married. If they will love a child and raise him properly then they should be allowed to adopt children. Thus, family would be aided by allowing for gay marriages.

amen. the child is the crux of any family, and parents must always have an active part, be they of differing or of the same gender.

honestly, i think it's more the fact that divorce is too easy to obtain that has eroded what we call family values. although there are many instances where divorce should be imperative (e.g., abuse, child welfare), a reason such as "i just don't love him anymore" doesn't fvcking cut it if you've got a bouncing baby or a bright young kid who still doesn't know how harsh the world really is.

in essence, it boils down to this: anybody can get married. but if you have a child, you better fcking stay married, be it through hell or highwater, so long as you take care of that kid.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      (And I'd be cheering you on... )

Ok, but what is your definition of a "responsible" family? I think most people have similar ideas, but for the purpose of discussion...
                      "Family" doesnt even have to be a family. Sometimes people find home in gangs, fellow orphans... (example may not be a good example of family, but perhaps it can be..)

That one above kinda sounded like Azazel.

Comment

Gay marriages are completely unrelated to you living in a ****hole, Speery.

Here's one little argument that demolish any idea of being anti-gay marriage/pro-family: People do not become gay just because gay marriages are legal. Rather, it allows people to be who they really are an enjoy the same benefits as couples that happen to be attracted to the opposite sex rather than the same sex. It does not destroy the concept of a family, which is loving and supportive parents, as long as the parents are loving and supporting. Which genitals the parents have is rather moot. If anything, I'd go as far as saying society is better off having gay men living in gay marriages rather than unhappily living a lie as a straight man (where much of homophobia comes from, which certainly hurts society).

Gay marriage is about equal rights, giving gays what's given to straights and taken for granted by most of them. It doesn't make people become gay, if that's what you're worried about, but it makes the gay people's lives less miserable.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

no it won't make everyone become gay but it will open up the idea of other kinds of alternative families that may be harmful.
                          He already said this asher.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                            He already said this asher.
                            He said it, but he doesn't get it.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Calc II knows what I'm saying...

Asher:

I'm not concerned with rights... i'm concerned with the good of the general society and the re-creation of loving families... re-read what Calc said as that's my position

Q Cubed:

yes divorces are a major reason for decline in family... i'm concerned about even further decline

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X