No announcement yet.

What's the Weather like where you are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Weather like where you are?

It's a totally unseasonal 24c here in London with clear blue skies!

That's about 10c higher than the average temps for this time of the year and the forecast is similar for the next few days - three cheers for Global Warming!

Now, where did I put those sunglasses?

So what's the weather like where you are?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Beautiful hot sunny day in Henley. I'm considering putting the air con on.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

lovely here in somerset, 25c. not much to do though since all my friends are working

might go and play tennis soon though.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

What global warming?

Here it's unseasonably cold, with only 13 degrees, as opposed to the usual 25-30 this time of year.

I'm actually glad about this, because it means there won't so many days with temperatures over 40 this summer.
        The monkeys are listening.

Comment

I'm in london too and boy is it hot & sunny. god i hate work on a day like this...

Comment

I'm around 1h 30 mins south of London, it's warmer here.

Comment

Nice warm and sunny at 22°C
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Britain warmer than Greece

now if you dont have any humidity too it should be nice

Comment

red hot in Chester, one more night to do then i'm off for the weekend!!!!

Comment

Today: 27°C and sunny.

Forecast for tomorrow: 6°C and rain.

That's a mighty cold Cold Front coming through tonight.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

From My Brother, In Las Cruces, N.M.

Strong winds cause minor damage

Steve Ramirez
                      Wednesday, April 16, 2003 -

Sun-News reporter

Strong westerly winds, which included peak gusts in excess of 126 mph Tuesday at San Augustin Pass on U.S. Highway 70, caused widespread, but minimal, damage throughout Las Cruces and southern New Mexico.

Trees were uprooted, branches on older trees were blown off and littered city streets, and traffic lights at some intersections malfunctioned during Tuesday's windstorm. Motorists reported minor damage to vehicles as a result of trees and branches falling on vehicles.

"It clipped the side of my truck pretty good," Ramon Gomez said of some tree branches that hit his 1991 Chevy pickup truck as he was driving on Melendres Street, near Brown Road. "I was just driving along when, whap, part of this tree hit the passenger side of my truck. It startled me and I swerved, but there wasn't anyone else on the road. So thankfully, it wasn't any worse than it was."

The broken tree branch was about four feet long and slightly scratched the right door to the truck. "Depending on how much it's going to cost me, I might just get some rubbing compound or scratch remover," Gomez said.

Traffic lights at the intersections of Telshor Boulevard and Lohman Avenue, and Madrid Avenue and Alameda Boulevard malfunctioned late Tuesday morning.

Also, all high school sporting events were postponed in Las Cruces.

Recorded peak gusts within Las Cruces reached 46 mph early Tuesday afternoon and visibility was reduced to about half a mile.

Milo Porterfield was walking toward Las Cruces' main post office when an especially strong gust literally pushed him back about four feet.

"That was the dangdest thing. Nothing like that has ever happened to me," said a surprised Porterfield. "I know I'm a little guy, only 5-(foot)-2 and about 90 pounds, but no wind has ever been able to do that to me."

The winds uprooted and damaged several trees, including one located outside a home on Westmoreland Avenue.

"It split the tree in my backyard into three pieces," said a woman who identified herself only as Ms. Marta. "The winds came up, amazingly, about 12:30 (p.m.) outside of my house. It ripped one off one whole side of the tree, and about an hour later it split another piece.

"It kind of made me sad because it was the only tree in the yard that was surviving. I felt sad for my 7-year-old daughter, too. She loved that tree and told us that it was her tree."

While the winds closed Interstate 10, from Las Cruces west to the Arizona state line, U.S. 70 remained open.

Larry Furrow, White Sands spokesman, said the sustained wind speed at San Augustin Pass was 88.5 mph Tuesday with a peak gust of 126.5 mph, which happened about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Although no formal records are kept of wind speeds at the pass, Furrow said the previous high gust at the pass was 110.4 mph in January 1996.

San Augustin Pass is located on U.S. 70, about 18 miles east of Las Cruces. The elevation at the pass is slightly more than 5,700 feet above sea level.

"To try to put that into some kind of perspective, it's considered a hurricane when wind gusts reach 75 mph," Furrow said. "As a result of the winds, the commanding general (Brig. Gen. William F. Engel) advised the work force to remain on post until 5 p.m."

A "Phase Three Weather Warning," which is considered life threatening by White Sands officials was issued early Tuesday afternoon and remained in effect until 5 p.m. Furrow said weather warnings at White Sands are classified in three phases, with the third phase being the most severe.

A Phase Three warning includes severe, damaging winds greater than 85 mph, flash flood, tornado or severe thunderstorm warnings.

Winds at pass blew out the windshield of a White Sands police vehicle and six parked vehicles at White Sands' sustained minor wind damage.

The stiff winds also delayed a school bus from leaving Oñate High School with students who live at White Sands. Because the Phase Three Warning did not expire until 5 p.m. Tuesday, the bus did not leave for White Sands until that time.

The winds also caused intermittent outages of some radio and television stations in Las Cruces and El Paso.

A wind advisory for all of southern New Mexico and far west Texas remained in effect until midnight Tuesday. According to meteorologists with the National Weather Service a strong cold front pushed its way across the western one-third of New Mexico Tuesday afternoon, which triggered the winds. Another cold front is expected to pass through the region on Friday, which will bring windy weather again.

But daytime wind speeds today are predicted to be considerably less than Tuesday's, with winds today from the northwest at 5 mph to 15 mph. Winds are expected to shift to the southwest later today.

Partly cloudy skies, breezy conditions, and daytime high temperatures in the mid 70s are in the forecast for Thursday. But winds are expected to return Friday, with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the lower 70s.

Weather conditions for Saturday and Sunday appear favorable, for now. Skies should be partly cloudy, and winds will be breezy on Saturday, with daytime highs in the lower 70s. It is expected to remain partly cloudy on Sunday with the high temperature near 70.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Rain just came through LA a couple of days ago. It cleared out the air but left it somewhat chilly. 63F/17C high today, but getting warmer over the next week.

Comment

Great sunny weather here in Wallingford. Just had me a Coke and a KitKat from the canteen. Going home in 90 minutes, but might sneak off early if the boss turns his back.

Humidity feels a little high. I predict a thunderstorm in the next 48 hours.

Ooo, Mike's in Henley. Pretty town, and it's jsut down the road from me. I worked there one summer a couple of years ago. Taking your lunch break down by the river in gorgeous sunshine is awesome.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I only work here, live in Reading.

Nice place, full of toffs.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Nice sunny 22C here in Yorkshire. Hard to believe it's April.

Probably means an extreme summer (either hot and dry or another miserable washout).
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X