What to do after 24 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do after 24 years?

I have something very personal in my past that happened about 24 years ago when I was in college. I never really got any closure on this issue and of late it seems to be croping up and causing me a great deal of regret. It happened with a guy in college whom I dated for almost 2 years and now quite by accident when I signed up for one of those classmates thingy's.......well........there he is. I've told my husband about what happened and also told him that I felt like I needed to make some type of conntact with this person to gain some type of closure for myself.

If you can believe this it was actually his suggestion that I post this and get advice on it. To my husband he doesn't see why I need to deal with something that happened 24 years ago, but for me it's now affecting the life I have now. I think he's a bit worried that a fire might rekindle but that is the farthest thing from my mind regarding this. I was very hurt and harbor many angry feelings towards him for what happened. However, to finally have an opportunity to speak out and say what I couldn't all those years ago and how what happened has screwed up my life in some aspects, to me it's an opportunity to heal an old wound....one I never thought I would ever get the chance to do.

So do I make contact or no?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Re: What to do after 24 years?

Originally posted by Tiamat
    However, to finally have an opportunity to speak out and say what I couldn't all those years ago and how what happened has screwed up my life in some aspects, to me it's an opportunity to heal an old wound....one I never thought I would ever get the chance to do.
    Healing old wounds may be a good thing.
    Opening new ones would be a bad thing.
    Just make sure you know the difference ...

[A guy named Kurt Vonnegut put it much better than I just did. ]

Comment

what happened?
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Have you tried writing a letter with all the things you want to say. Formulate your thoughts and feelings on the subject as if you were going to send it. I find the process to be very therapeutic, even though I never actually send the letter to the person I write it to I feel a lot better in myself. I prefer that to reliving a moment over and over in my mind and thinking about what could have been done differently.
        Last edited by Dauphin; April 14, 2003, 20:27.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: What to do after 24 years?

Originally posted by Tiamat
          So do I make contact or no?
          Of course

If after 24 years still bothers you, is because you need a closure.
          Sure your husband (you're married? you've just broke my heart ) would be worried about it but finnaly he will understand.

What do you want to do? talk to him? ask him for some answers? ... or make him pay

The best of lucks Tia
          >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

"To my husband he doesn't see why I need to deal with something that happened 24 years ago, but for me it's now affecting the life I have now. "

Because you're allowing it.

I would say that unless this is a situation where you wronged him, let it be. And even then, think carefully before you act.

Do you even know this guy? You knew him 24 years beforehand in college... but that was literally half his life ago. Now he likely has a wife, children, and a life that is totally different than the one you shared.

As do you.

Comment

Contact him, through written media.
              If the business is unfinished, and if it bothers you, you have to finish it. However, avoid phone or RL meetings at all costs, for it is true it may somehow rekindle the old thing. Especially if the old problems are settled.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

After twenty four years the odds are that whatever event occurred then is no longer on his mind. If not forgotten, it is still something of the past for him. To bring it up, just to tell him that he hurt you, won't do him any good, even if it does you good. You might want to try just talking to him, see if he would want to do that. Being able to communicate civilly (sp?) with this individual might help to heal the wound.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If the statute of limitations hasn't run out yet and you wronged him, don't make contact

Comment

I require more details if I am to give any qualified quality advice...

buuut.... from what you have shared, i might be able to relate. I too had a relationship a while back from which i seek closure. I still know the person quite well, and hope to soon confront her... she broke my heart, and i have suspicions why, but i dont care anymore, i just want closure and assurance. I dont care how or why, i know the relationship is dead, but the negative impact on my life of not knowing has been substancial. I need to know not only for my fragile ego's sake, but so i can finally move on after so long (i still, even after so long, cant help thinking about her).

Kman
                    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

No it's more that we wronged each other with a bad decision, bad timing, bad everything. But we never talked about things.....glossed over them and yes he is married again actually. I do keep in contact with his brother.

It was quite the family type thing you know.....little rich girl goes off to college on music scholarship and meets cute guy in music program who also sings in church so he gets girl to go sing in church which gets her accepted at his home with his parents and friendly with both brothers......basically taking in the girl who is 300 miles away from home at college, that type of thing.

And the only means of possible communication that I was even remotely considering was and e-mail only nothing more.

And sorry Chilean ~ yes I would be recently married, but............a girl can never have enough friends
                      Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                      Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                      Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                      You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

I never got closure from such meetings.

I just got re-openings, or at minimum, new temptations which had to be resisted.

I'm with Big Crunch: write him a letter then burn the letter & get on with your life.

Comment

And sorry Chilean ~ yes I would be recently married, but............a girl can never have enough friends
                          The hope has returned to my life.
                          >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

"married again"

Does this mean you and he were married?

Comment

It is obviously killing you, so just do it.

And how do you get to be an Apolyton Legend????
                              Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                              Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                              I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Working...
                              X