Best Curry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--"By any other name, it smells just as nasty."

Try the Japanese version of curry. Doesn't smell nearly as much as the Indian kind. Different stock, and what not.

Wraith
    QUARKBAR - the candy with flavour and charm.

Comment

Question and you will of course pardon my ignorance of this subject but my Mom used to make curry I think and we had chutny(sp?) and peanuts with it........am I remembering correctly? And possibly coconut? Is that curry?

It could have been. Sounds very 'Thai'.

Try the Japanese version of curry. Doesn't smell nearly as much as the Indian kind. Different stock, and what not.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip .

I like East Asian curries better than the Indian kind anyway.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Honestly, Imran, your slagging off of 'Indian' cuisine is so silly...

Which 'Indian' cuisine is it you don't like? Parsee? Gujerati? Keralan? Sri Lankan? Madurai? Kashmiri? Goan? Madrassi? Punjabi? Moghul? Anglo-Indian? Bengali?

Having grown up in Coventry, gone to university in Manchester and lived in London, I've been privileged to try everything from mild and rich Kashmiri cuisine, to spicy citrussy Bengali fish dishes, to the Iranian influenced dhansak and biryanis and pullaos.

I have yet to find an Indian cuisine I don't like.

The food of the north of India (being more wheat and dairy based) is vastly different from the coconut and rice based dishes of the south, in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka. And Parsee dishes are different from Portuguese influenced Goan dishes, and so on. But then, you probably know that...

Anyways, home cooked 'Indian' food is best- restaurant food uses too much oil, and frequently just uses a bog standard sauce or spice mix. They don't compare with the delicious amchoor dusted fish fillets or tamarind infused chutneys I've had at friends houses. There is a very good sandwich house in London in Covent Garden called Carrie Awaze II. They serve excellent sandwiches, but my favourites are the thalis- they use very little oil, cooking the vegetables in their juices. All the flavours of the spices and legumes come through, without any oily overtaste...

Some of my favourite homecooked dishes:

Nine Gem Rice/Navratan Chaval

Cumin Beef/Jira Mira

Mutton with Egg Sauce/Anda Mhans

Pork Chasnidarh

Hyderabad Chicken

Fish Sorak

Mung Dhal Palak with Masala Dosa.

To chase down the savouries, some parsee custard, or ras malai, or pistachio burfi.

And to anyone who doesn't like curries, I say in the immortal words of Sanjeev Bhaskar, 'kiss my chuddies, maan!'
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Uh, no thanks!

Comment

Which 'Indian' cuisine is it you don't like?

Um... all, actually.

And why is it silly? Jeez, people can't have differing opinions on food anymore

Maybe I should go around to all those people who don't like Chinese food and tell them how 'silly' they are being.... really.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Which 'Indian' cuisine is it you don't like?

Um... all, actually.

And why is it silly? Jeez, people can't have differing opinions on food anymore

Maybe I should go around to all those people who don't like Chinese food and tell them how 'silly' they are being.... really.
              Yes you should. Because Szechwan bears as much resemblance to Mongolian as Cantonese does to Kashgari. And they're all classified as Chinese...

What links shredded jellyfish or drunken chickens' feet with Mongolian hotpot? Precious little.

It's like categorizing African food as being all the same- when there's a world of difference between Malian and Kenyan food.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Yes you should. Because Szechwan bears as much resemblance to Mongolian as Cantonese does to Kashgari. And they're all classified as Chinese...

You don't get it. South Asian food and Chinese food all have certain taste factors in common that other ethnic food don't share.

I can easily link ALL Indian food, ALL Chinese food, ALL Latin food and people will know exactly what I'm talking about. Because they have very similar tastes within the ethnic cuisine.

When your pals say let's get some Indian, do you usually ask 'which kind' and then chastise them for using an overarching term?

If someone doesn't like Southern style BBQ, it won't make any difference that North Carolina BBQ isn't exactly the same as Louisiana BBQ. That doesn't matter. They share similar things that a person who doesn't like 'Southern style BBQ' won't like.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; April 15, 2003, 00:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You don't get it. South Asian food and Chinese food all have certain taste factors in common that other ethnic food don't share.

I can easily link ALL Indian food, ALL Chinese food, ALL Latin food and people will know exactly what I'm talking about. Because they have very similar tastes within the ethnic cuisine.
                  Uh, yes I do get it, thanks.

Szechwan is very different from Cantonese which is different from Mongolian which is different from Hainanese. I really don't believe you when you say that there is some super linkage between Uighur cuisine and Cantonese.

Given the bastardized versions of cuisines popularly available its hardly surprising people would 'know' exactly what you're talking about. I remember in the bad old days when curried sauces in Great Britain included raisins and apples. And flour...

Comment

Szechwan is very different from Cantonese which is different from Mongolian which is different from Hainanese. I really don't believe you when you say that there is some super linkage between Uighur cuisine and Cantonese.

No you don't get it.

Like I put in my edit:

If someone doesn't like Southern style BBQ, it won't make any difference that North Carolina BBQ isn't exactly the same as Louisiana BBQ. That doesn't matter. They share similar things that a person who doesn't like 'Southern style BBQ' won't like.

When you don't like the taste of the overarching catagory, you probably won't like the specifics either.

People that I know that don't like Chinese food don't like Szechwan, Cantonese, Mongolian, etc, etc.... and they will catagorize them as the same 'type' of food.

Hell, when I eat a dish that is from that area, I can usually identify it as what we refer to as 'Chinese food'. A majority of the food from that area is very similar. There may be a few outliers, but it doesn't change the general 'taste'. Why do you think the food is grouped together in that way?

When people hate the smell of curry (ie, it makes them gag), and a vast majority of food on the Indian subcontinent has curry in it, I don't think they'll like the specific food .

Btw, do you also yell at people who say I love Indian food? Do you ask them to specify which type they like because they are so different?
                    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; April 15, 2003, 01:06.

Comment

I'm unaware of yelling at anyone, Imran. I leave that sort of unseemly behaviour to Americans.

It's utterly pointless to pretend that Szechwan cuisine is similar to food of the Chinese oases- one might as well imagine Nepali cuisine to be the same as Sri Lankan.

Doesn't look the same, smell the same or taste the same. A style of cooking (barbeque) is hardly the same as a whole cuisine is it? If you don't like 'American' food does that mean you won't eat cioppino and sourdough if you don't like hamburgers?

I can well imagine people saying they didn't like shredded jellyfish or drunken chickens' feet, but eating shredded beef with szechuan peppercorns- and they're all szechuan dishes. None of which taste similar to Cantonese dishes.

Comment

Curry is the bestest!!!!!

(not the crazy-hot stuff, though, that mings - a nice spicy medium my favourite)
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Just like to point out that my comment about southern US cuisine was merely a troll and I'm actually most interested in tasting their proper spicy stuff - I'm sure the southern US food we get here is a poor imitation of the real stuff.

As long as it hasn't got prawns in. I don't eat creatures that haven't evolved backbones.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Well I always knew you had an aversion to fishy-smelling things...
                            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

That makes me think of so many jokes that would get me banned. This place sucks.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

You should continue at CG...
                                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Working...
                                X