Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Cold War Scenario: Russia vs France

Hola,

I was recalling a while ago a conversation I had with a friend who studied international relations about 5 years ago, it was basically a hypothetical cold war scenario and we were trying to guess what would be the response. It's really something I do not have an answer for so I would like to see what you guys have to say about it.

Year: say, mid 80s

Situation:
    For whatever reason, a conventional war erupts between NATO forces and Warsaw Pact forces in central europe. NATO gets its butt kicked, Germany is overrun, US forces in theater are either wiped out or forced to retreat, nothing apparently can stop the Soviets from marching into France as the French 1st Army has also been destroyed.

Knowing that Europe has fallen the US has decided it will not risk an all-out nuclear exchange with the USSR. Neither side has used nukes so far. However, the only option for France now is its nuclear capability as there is no way it will hold against the Soviets.

So, what will France do? Will it risk national suicide while only hoping to cause less than total damage to the USSR? IIRC France had around 100 warheads, most on subs, nothing compared to what the USSR could unleash. What would the US do if France used nukes? Would it use them too? (again risking national destruction although assuring the destruction of the USSR).

Bascially the premise behind the US not using nukes from the start is that as long as the US itself is safe, it will not committ suicide for saving Europe even if they can destroy the USSR in the process.

What do you think?

BTW: this is an intelligent debate thread, in other words, right-wing French-bashers bugger off if you have nothing to contribute
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

"right-wing French-bashers bugger off if you have nothing to contribute "

Why, the French would surrender of course!
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

So, what will France do?

France will surrender and collaborate with their new Soviet overlords. Duh...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If history is any guide... The French would surrender faster than you could say "Hypothetical Cold War Scenario"
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So much for "intelligent debate"...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

BTW, I don't know why you blast France for surrendering. If Germany had invaded the US in may 1940, the US would have surrendered even quicker!

So, because you people have nothing intelligent to say, I'll rephrase the question:

If you were in charge of France, what would you do in that situation?

Comment

If you were in charge of France, what would you do in that situation?

I'd surrender. What's the use in fighting if the French Army is the only force you have?
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I suppose they would try to delay the Soviets as much as possible by striking at their logistics (partisans et al) and burning time at the negotiations table...

...But France would finally have to surrender in the short term, at least until the U.S./NATO's remains manage to mount a conventional counterattack.

There's not much freedom of action in this scenario though....
                DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

"If you were in charge of France, what would you do in that situation?"

If I were in charge of France, I would be French, so I would eat cheese, drink wine, and surrender.

Comment

haha, I thot the scenario was wut would france do not wut would we do if we led france.

I doubt I would ever get elected to a french government position. I dont hate the required ppl.

but I imagine france would scream very loudly then surrender. as is my guess in the game of chicken that is nuclear warheads, russia has more kohones, and france would know this.

Comment

So in other words, deterrence works TOO well!

So well, as that no country would actually risk national suicide even if it was getting skullf***ed conventionally. Nukes rule.

Comment

Anyone here would like to point out what difference it would have made had Germany invaded the US in May 1940?

The US would have surrendered like cowards too... Texas rangers vs. Panzers

Comment

Remember the Alamo!
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Hmmm... Japan tried to invade the US... and we kicked their ass all the way back across the Pacific.

So you comments that we would have surrendered are totally laughable... but then again, we've come to expect comments like that from you
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                              Anyone here would like to point out what difference it would have made had Germany invaded the US in May 1940?

In terms of Western Hemisphere countries facing humiliating defeats, it is hard to beat Mexico's humiliation in the Mexican War.

Comment

Working...
                              X