Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powell has thoroughly discredited himself and hasn't acted as a good counterweight for quite awhile it seems.

Powell has the highest approval rating of any in Bush's cabinet (even after the UN debacle) and Bush is thought to respect his advice above that of the hawks. But sometimes, State just isn't in a charge of an operation.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You are relying on old information. Certainly Powell has the highest approval rating, he was a presidential hopeful before Bush, but I think he has lost alot of the respect he had fom the left. Bush either no longer relies on his advice as he once did or Powell's politics have changed in the last year.

Comment

You are relying on old information.

It's only about 2 weeks old.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

LOL@Drake

Blame the French for everything that's wrong with the world. Poor Powell...

Laugh it up. I don't think you'll find it so humorous in a few months when we really start to see the damage done to the trans-Atlantic relationship by the Iraq debate.

The French confirmed every negative stereotype that had been attributed to Europe and the UN by the unilateralist hawks. In the process, they've given the hawks much more leverage in future debates inside the Bush administration. This isn't a good turn of events for those of us who still believe in multilateralism and international institutions.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Since you didn't give a link I can only rely on what is right in front of my face and has been for the last year. Abandoning Powell on his ME trip seemed to be the turning point.

Comment

The French confirmed every negative stereotype that had been attributed to Europe and the UN by the unilateralist hawks.
              ...and vice versa.

Comment

gsmoove23: Here you are...

Comment

I said I agreed that his approval rating was high but questioned whether Powell is thought to be Bush's most trusted advisor still. I read the article I didn't see mention of him being more trusted then any others, in fact it seemed to suggest otherwise.

Comment

Yhe Uranium documents were supplied to the USA & UN by UK's MI6.
                    And this of thread troll is a flat lie.
                    "UN says Powell used forged uranium documents"
                    The UN has said no such thing, nor is there any serious contetion that the USA was the source.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Laugh it up. I don't think you'll find it so humorous in a few months when we really start to see the damage done to the trans-Atlantic relationship by the Iraq debate.
                      The French confirmed every negative stereotype that had been attributed to Europe and the UN by the unilateralist hawks. In the process, they've given the hawks much more leverage in future debates inside the Bush administration. This isn't a good turn of events for those of us who still believe in multilateralism and international institutions.

So what you are saying is that the French, i.e. Europe, should abide by the US' every whim?

Over here the general opinion is that the US did everything it could to alienate itself from the rest of us. We have a feeling that you want to go alone and give the finger to the rest of the world. The ICBM treaty, the International Court Of Justice, the Kyoto Protocol, the anti personal landmine thing, frustrating talks between North and South Korea, and the list goes on and on...

In short, GO US! and f**k the rest. Maybe it's time to reconsider where our real interests lie...
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

...and the FBI or CIA fell for em hook line and sinker even though the forgeries have been described as "childlike"... or they knew very well but thought when the **** hit the fan they would have already done their damage and they could always point to the fact that it came from another source. God I hope its the second one and our intelligence services aren't actually that lame.

Comment

So what you are saying is that the French, i.e. Europe, should abide by the US' every whim?

No. France and Co. can disagree with the US all they want. They don't have to support the US if they don't agree. What they should not do, however, is provide active opposition to an important policy of the United States. Once you do that, you are no longer acting as an ally should.

Over here the general opinion is that the US did everything it could to alienate itself from the rest of us. We have a feeling that you want to go alone and give the finger to the rest of the world. The ICBM treaty, the International Court Of Justice, the Kyoto Protocol, the anti personal landmine thing, frustrating talks between North and South Korea, and the list goes on and on...

I'm well aware of the mood in the European press. Hopefully the anti-Americanism will recede in the future, but I'm not counting on it...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

No. France and Co. can disagree with the US all they want. They don't have to support the US if they don't agree. What they should not do, however, is provide active opposition to an important policy of the United States. Once you do that, you are no longer acting as an ally should.

I'm well aware of the mood in the European press. Hopefully the anti-Americanism will recede in the future, but I'm not counting on it...
                            Huh? What you may consider important policy may be a lot of BS to us and vice versa. If you think that we blindly follow American policy, you better think again...

And the only way Anti-Americanism (which is not as bad as they try you to believe btw) will recede is when America acknowledges the fact that no one is waiting for a Pax Americana.
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

Huh? What you may consider important policy may be a lot of BS to us and vice versa. If you think that we blindly follow American policy, you better think again...

If this is your attitude, then you are not an American ally. If you don't care about what the US feels is important, then don't bull**** and claim to be our friends. If you think that it is alright to actively oppose the US on something it feels is important, just because you think it's a "lot of BS", then you might as well just call off the alliance and save us all a lot of trouble.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Re: UN says Powell used forged uranium documents

Originally posted by realpolitic
                                This happened several days before the war
                                And so did all the many threads that were started on this topic.

Old news... old thread topic...
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X