World History X and CIV games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World History X and CIV games

Looking at history, it would be close to impossible to hold any country up and say that is a morally decent country.
    1. Britain and the U.S. have lots of problems. There is no way you can say that a country that is responsible for selling opium and racial oppression is morally decent. There is no way that you can say that a country that is responsible for genocide and racial oppression is morally decent. Don’t be hard on the Anglo-Saxon’s. Christians and Muslims and whites and blacks and yellows and inbetween’s have all been responsible for wars. People usually covet something they don’t have, feel they have a right to what someone else has, are bitter about what someone else has or think it is rightfully theirs. If you to take your life as a kid. Why did you ever fight? As an adult. What problems do you have with your neighbors? What about the car next to you? In CIV games what reasons do we have for going to war with other players?
    2. I really think that we should start searching for solutions that don’t involve liberating gassing or imposing anything on another group or person. Maybe talking and minding one’s own business for starters
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

In Civ games, the reasons to go to war are simple : there can be only one winner, and I want to be this one. I want to have the biggest industrial/scientific/cultural powerhouse, and I want to avoid any rival to become stronger than me. I don't want any rival to conquer the world/make the ship to Alpha Centauri instead of me.

In real world, it is more complex, because there is no such thing as a "winner" nation.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I believe the US is still too young to be properly judged (but it has made a HUGE impact in the world over a few short centuries).
      Britain had plenty of problems before the Saxons. I would have liked to see how Britain would have turned out if the Saxons (and Romans) stayed away. A Celtic England would have been interesting.
      As for warfare, it is a part of human nature. It may evolve but will never entirely go away. As for morally decent, you will find that the phrase becomes meaningless once you fully realize how relative it is.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
      X