• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Last updated 12/5/95"
    :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      That's my problem with this. The "ready to fire" weight is 30 lbs. What else do you lose? Especially in the desert you need water, even if you're only away from your supply for an hour or two. Ammo is frigging heavy. Add body armor, com gear etc.
      Carrying weight is about half that, though.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Hmm.
        Inventory: 1364

I don't think everyone has one.
        God. Are the US soldiers deliberately posing with those things? I've personally seen at least 20-30 different people carrying them on TV.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

wether or not its a short mission, I think they have to carry rations as well.

Comment

Carrying weight is about half that, though.
            That carrying weight means tha you don't have a rocket with you...

Unless you think it magically gains weight when you put it together?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That carrying weight means tha you don't have a rocket with you...

Unless you think it magically gains weight when you put it together?

Well, true.
              I'd assumed the ammo would be in their humvee in crate type things mostly.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

God. Are the US soldiers deliberately posing with those things? I've personally seen at least 20-30 different people carrying them on TV.
                Most likely supply increased within 8 years and there arent many marines to be assigned this weapon. (how many marines are in frontline Iraq? less than 10,000? if so 5000 would mean 1/2 has it)

Comment

30lbs? Heavier than I remembered then.. or then the one I was thinking is actually a lot lighter, in 'ready-to-fire' mode. Oh well..
                  Anyway that is too much for everyone to carry, maybe every third man or so would be better? But then again I don't know the weight of basic combat gear so.. but I'd think it's around 70 pounds max, 50 pounds preferred?
                  But that would be the minimum gear, only necessary things with you (and dumping the body armour).
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

Most likely supply increased within 8 years and there arent many marines to be assigned this weapon. (how many marines are in frontline Iraq? less than 10,000? if so 5000 would mean 1/2 has it)
                    I thought there were ~20K in the Iraq frontlines. Dunno though.

Comment

Well, true.
                      I'd assumed the ammo would be in their humvee in crate type things mostly.
                      Why not just carry the launchers in the humvee then? Better there than taking up space on your rifleman's back.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why not just carry the launchers in the humvee then? Better there than taking up space on your rifleman's back.
                        I dunno, are the launchers hard to store?

I think there's a reason they defined it as "carrying weight" and "ready to fire" rather than "empty" and "loaded".

I believe you don't actually load these things until you want to fire, you don't carry it around loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          30lbs? Heavier than I remembered then.. or then the one I was thinking is actually a lot lighter, in 'ready-to-fire' mode. Oh well..
                          Anyway that is too much for everyone to carry, maybe every third man or so would be better? But then again I don't know the weight of basic combat gear so.. but I'd think it's around 70 pounds max, 50 pounds preferred?
                          But that would be the minimum gear, only necessary things with you (and dumping the body armour).
                          50 lbs. is light.

IIRC "light infantry" get 65 lbs or so, and they're expected to be highly mobile. A MGer in a standard unit carries ~90lbs IIRC, and everybody else has 10 lbs less or so.

Those numbers are all vaguely remembered. Not quite pulled out of my ass, but almost.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I dunno, are the launchers hard to store?

I think there's a reason they defined it as "carrying weight" and "ready to fire" rather than "empty" and "loaded".

I believe you don't actually load these things until you want to fire, you don't carry it around loaded.
                            I really don't see having people cart around weapons for which they need to go back to a vehicle to get even 1 round.

Plain stupidity, even for a gov't operation. Any way I look at it, this seems strange.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ok.. sounds reasonable. 90lbs is getting a little heavy in stripped down combat gear though..
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I really don't see having people cart around weapons for which they need to go back to a vehicle to get even 1 round.

Plain stupidity, even for a gov't operation. Any way I look at it, this seems strange.
                                Maybe, I don't recall seeing too many of these on TV though.

Comment

Working...
                                X