Designated hitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HolyWarrior
    AL sucks ass. Roger Clemons is a damn punk who throws at batters because he doesn't have to come up to bat.

Nothin' like an ol'fashioned beanball war.
    He would die of brain damage if he ever comes to NL.
    :-p

Comment

DH sucks. The same team bats as fields. That's the idea. DH is just a cheap copout.

It ruins the nice symmetry of baseball. Nice players play defense, those SAME nine should play offense.

And after we get rid of the abomination known as the DH, we can focus on ending the idiocy of interleague play .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
        Babe Ruth should have played in the NL.
        Babe Ruth did play in the NL--for the Braves in 1935. And even in the AL, pitchers had to bat back then. The DH didn't come in until 1973.

The DH makes sense because even without it, the pitcher is simply not expected to be able to hit. At any other position there's a tradeoff; the best-fielding shortstop God ever made wouldn't have a job in the major leagues if he couldn't hit .200. But a league-average pitcher will always have a job with an NL team even if he never gets a hit in his life.

There may have been occasions when a team picked one pitcher over another because he could hit a little, but I'll bet the last one was at least a hundred years ago.
        "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

should there be 2 DH for SS too then? or Catchers?

Imagine how worthless A-Rod would be. and how valuable rey ordonez would be
          :-p

Comment

Calc: Rey Ordonez's DH

Pitchers should hit (or be able to) because they are with the team on defense.

If you want to be consistant with the DH, you should just have two seperate teams for defense and offense. After all, we don't want to see weak hitting, good fielding players hit or anything.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The DH is an abomination.

St. Leo: A comparable rule in Football would be to have old Strikers that are slow be allowed offside. Dumb rule.
              Be the bid!

Comment

Why the DH is bad? If the NL had a DH I never would have got to see Randy Johnson smash what should have been at least a double only to trip and fall rounding first and end up only getting a single. Everyone was laughing 'cept Bob Brenley who looked like he was about to have a heart attack. Funny **** !!

Even better was the fact that the next day in practice, someone snuck in early and drew a chalk outline where Randy fell.
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

bustamike, truly great moment in sports
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

There's considerable Biblical evidence that the DH rule was Satan's idea.

Of course, I've spent my entire life rooting for the Cubs, so why should anyone listen to me? (For those of you not familiar with baseball who wonder what that means, just remember the Apolyton Cub Fan Smilies: (1) (2) )
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

In cricket a graet many of the all time greats are those who could bat and bowl. I say get rid of the DH
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                        should there be 2 DH for SS too then? or Catchers?
                        What?? No Maury Wills or Mike Piazza? Oooooh, the humanity!

No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH! No DH!

Comment

Opps. DL (which should also be banned)

Comment

P.S: only reason why Yankees fan dont like the idea of Pitchers hitting is because their pitchers always suck batting in subway series.

Mets pitchers > Yankee pitchers in batting
                            Maybe, but the Yankees > Mets anyway.

I'm neutral on the DH. I don't have strong feelings either way.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

NO DH.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don't like the DH. There is a plus in that it spares us from seeing the 95% of pitchers who can't hit to save their lives, but it's more than offset by the purity of the game (ie:same team that takes the field goes to bat) and strategy (ie:when to pull the pitcher for a pinch hitter)
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X