Designated hitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designated hitter

Well, the DH has been in place for 30 years now in the AL.

What do you think about it?

ACK!
    Keep it, makes the game interesting
    22.22%
    Get rid of it, it hurts the game
    58.33%
    Keep it only if both leagues use it
    8.33%
    Only if they use bananas instead of bats
    11.11%
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

I am assuming that this is some sort of sport term. Would you care to enlighten us as to which sport you are referring to?
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The DH takes a lot of the strategy out of the game. It also takes watching pitchers try to hit, out of the game.

So to the DH.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

but pitchers hitting is what makes the game interesting.

Do you pull the pitcher out at 5-7th inning and pinch hit? Do you still want the pitcher pitching? Is the game close and situation and bases worth a shot?

etc etc etc

NL > AL
        :-p

Comment

I like american league ball more than national league ball. the DH is interesting in the fact that someone who is too old to field can just become the DH and still contribute...

i think that watching pitchers hit is fun though... and adds strategy.

its too hard for me to decide.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

DH = player who has less skill gets treated better. (aka just about all AL DHs who cant field for life)

Pitcher hitting = Pitcher who can contribute aggressively and have talent to do so gets credited and gets respect as they should. (ie like Mike Hampton, who can lob the ball out of the stadium for his teammates and contribute )

Having no DH allows people to be valued at what they can do/not do much better IMO.

Besides NL is the only game where theoratically the pitcher can win the game by himself. (Mike Hampton 2000, in Coors Stadium. played a 3-1 game with 2HR)

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              I am assuming that this is some sort of sport term. Would you care to enlighten us as to which sport you are referring to?
              If you don't know what the DH is, then you don't watch baseball is anyway.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Babe Ruth should have played in the NL.

It would have been awesome to see the man play the game all by himself

P.S: only reason why Yankees fan dont like the idea of Pitchers hitting is because their pitchers always suck batting in subway series.

Mets pitchers > Yankee pitchers in batting

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                  DH = player who has less skill gets treated better. (aka just about all AL DHs who cant field for life)

And therefore all NFL players have less skill, and get treated better, too. (Since they don't play both offense and defense, anymore.)

Mike Hampton's an example of a pitcher who can hit (too bad he can't pitch )... but what really happens in most NL games is that both teams have a dead spot in their lineups for 6 innings. And at least twice per team, we're treated to the spectacle of the poor pitcher standing there in a telegraphed bunt attempt.

(At least - some people see that spectacle; I usually go to the concession stand, and mentally add one to the number of outs the team at bat currently has.)
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I dont think hampton is horrendous in pitching. Just because 1-2 yrs in the rockies has ruined his career doesnt mean he might not have a chance of showing significant improvement as a brave.

We'll see how the ex-Met player fares in the crappiest team in NL... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                      I usually go to the concession stand, and mentally add one to the number of outs the team at bat currently has.)
                      Ok I confess. I do the same exact thing, but it sure is satisfying to see yank pitcher looking like a ****** on plate.

and besides its always hilarious when a pitcher can do some damage.

If pitcher sees his opponent pitcher hit one, how would he feel?

Also it can be a great way to relieve some stress and tension, by throwing ur rival a 3 fastball in a row.

Comment

DH sucks. The same team bats as fields. That's the idea. DH is just a cheap copout.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

Ok I confess. I do the same exact thing, but it sure is satisfying to see yank pitcher looking like a ****** on plate.

and besides its always hilarious when a pitcher can do some damage.

If pitcher sees his opponent pitcher hit one, how would he feel?
                          I've seen a pitcher hit a triple. You should have seen his face afterwards...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Like Ive said before. Ive seen Mike Hampton hit 2 homers.

Pitcher giving up a homer is devastating.

Giving it up to a pitcher.... twice... ouch

Comment

AL sucks ass. Roger Clemons is a damn punk who throws at batters because he doesn't have to come up to bat.

Nothin' like an ol'fashioned beanball war.

Comment

Working...
                              X