Asylum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylum?

I find it amazing the things people say about Asylum seekers in this country.

I was in a Taxi and the Taxi driver was going on a Xenophobic rants, saying about how rich they are and how they're treated too well.

It got me to wondering - how do people get this information, without actually encountering it for themselves?

We've had some stay at our b&b before (mainly from Iran) and they were poverty-stricken, with barely enough to feed their children. Hardly walking around with the latest mobile phones.

It's a shame it has become such a 'dirty' phrase as well - people seem to have forgotten that the definition of aslyum seeker is someone who is fleeing for their lives. Would someone going on a rant against letting them stay in this country actually go to a family and tell them to go back to a country where they would be killed?

What do you think?

(C'mon, this makes a slight change from all the war stuff )

"Bring us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." does not resonate in the English mind, eh?

Comment

I'm English

Comment

Uh, yes, I knew that. The phrase is inscribed on the Statue of Liberty - I do apologize for assuming that you recognized it.

Comment

" Hardly walking around with the latest mobile phones."

Poor babies.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes I do - but you said it doesn't resonate in the English mind - being English myself this would include me...

There are people who are pro-asylum. But there are too many tabloids driving stupid people into a rabid frenzy of xenophobia. Aslyum seekrs do seem to have a really bad press over here at the moment and it is a shame, especially since minority rights in other areas seem to be improving.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              " Hardly walking around with the latest mobile phones."

Poor babies.
              I meant to say, the taxi driver said they go round with the latest mobile phones.

They barely had enough to feed their children, which was apalling.

Comment

Yes, that is appalling. That I can accept as grim.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How about I amend that to "the average English mind"? Being above average yourself, I'm sure you'll agree.

Comment

, ok. I'm very abnormal

Comment

ah in depth conversations with taxi drivers when you're pissed, bloody brilliant.

i don't think anyone (outside perhaps the BNP) has a problem with genuine asylum seekers, it's the ones who come over here and abuse the system that people complain about. and their seems to be an ever increasing amount of those, people who, for example get caught by immigration, sometimes having been in britain illegally for months, and only then claim asylum.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

bloody brilliant

Much better than in-depth conversations with taxi drivers when they're pissed.

Re asylum, this doesn't seem to be an issue over here. Maybe because it's so easy to be an illegal immigrant--no incentive to claim assylum.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The phrase is inscribed on the Statue of Liberty
                          Not anymore. Ashcroft et al. have just finished scratching that inscription out.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Asylum seekers here get more money from gov than I do. Even the f**king kids. I'm all for letting people in danger in, but some are swimming in our tax money and not doing anything, and some of them aren't.. And some even have the nerves to complain about it, not having the latest Nokia cellphone.. makes me want to kill someone right there. But sure, if someone is in danger, get over here. But don't be butthole about it, appreciation is more welcome than 'show me the money', if you're NOT even working.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re asylum, this doesn't seem to be an issue over here. Maybe because it's so easy to be an illegal immigrant--no incentive to claim assylum.
                              That's because asylum seekers are some of the most persecuted people by our gov't in the US. There aren't many people willing to go through the **** asylum seekers have to go through - arbitrary detention, few judicial restraints and appeals, etc. Just recently, a new policy was enacted where asylum seeker from a list of 30 counttries would have to be detained for their entire application process (which can take months to years).
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X