Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this forum ever recover from 9/11 and Iraq?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAVOUT, terrorist going to battle for dying, we accepting to die in fighting.. good point
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Frankly I thought we lost more posters over the 2000 election than over 9/11 or iraq.

The beauty of the internet is that when people cool off it's relatively easy to come back.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

nah thats rubbish. terrorists accept death in fighting too. they just dont waste time trying other ways first.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
          Ordeal. Time to think. The most important event for the future happened in the fourth plane which crashed in the country.

Our civilization has always produced men accepting to sacrifice themselves for their community. The passengers of this plane proved that it is still the case. Contrary to the terrorists, we do not go to battle for dying, but we accept to die in fighting.

For this reason alone, ultimately we will win. Rather than bashing or taking side, we have just to hope that we will be as gallant as the men in the fourth plane if our turn comes.
          Damn.....that's deep.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

If people are going to sulk over stuff that's posted on internet discussion forums then God help them.

The other poster is right - the reason things stay fairly level headed around here is that Ming and co. tend to stamp it out sharpish.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              That's one thing we never understand - the USA! thing.

When we had British imperialism we British dominions could all feel a part of it
              We Americans didn't feel part of it. Hence:

USA!
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                nah thats rubbish. terrorists accept death in fighting too. they just dont waste time trying other ways first.
                In this case, the terrorists in boarding the plane did know they will die, not the passengers. And the passengers decided to fight, although they were doomed and know it, because they had a reason to do so.
                Sorry that you dont see the difference.
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Well, I joined up after 9/11, so I have no idea about how it was, though certainly the debate over Iraq has been far more vehement than anything over Afghanistan. By the same token, ME debates, which were ususally vere heated have mostly gone away.

I don't know: we have a lot of history left to go from here assuming this forum survives for a few more years. I must say that while it can get ugly, people do return to being civil to each other in brand new debates. Not too many grudges are held.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You don't know the half of it.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

About pre-9/11, or about grudges being held?

Thankfully I probalby have not made anyones "ignore list".
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If people started thinking about everyone as their brothers and sisters, not just countrymen, we'd avoid a lot of these problems...both in and out of the forums
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

"Why cant we all jes git along?"

I don't know Horse... a lot of the rancor that I occassionally feel towards some posters is mitigated by the fact that they are so, well, young. After all, I, too, was a 16/18/22 year-old snit.

This forum has definitely turned anti-American though*, and it was happening long before 9-11.

DAVOUT:

* Overall. Not every poster, not every thread, but for the most part I believe this to be true.

Comment

I don't think America will ever recover from 9/11 or Iraq.

Me, I'm gonna learn Chinese and move to China.
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Death to America, I say!

Seriously though, just because people don't like Bush or Walt Disney doesn't mean they have a homicidal hatred of the average Iowan.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's not the dislike, it's the constant vehemence used in expressing that dislike which causes dismay.

Comment

Working...
                                X