No announcement yet.

Drunk Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's simple. You take the "Drunk" out of DD. I take "Driving".
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
      How much time does it take for a dose of alcohol ( glass'o'wine, 33oz beer, a shot of hard liquer ) to get out? an hour?
      Roughly half an hour or so I seem to remember. We were told in high school that the legel limit is about to beverages an hour, depending on your body weight, tolerance, and other factors.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I hate drunk drivers. They willingly risk other peoples lives, making their cars deadly weapons. I think they should lose their cars when they get caught. Revoking license isn't helping most of the times anyway. Take the cars away, permanently. Let them buy another car, it's serious crime!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          I hate drunk drivers. They willingly risk other peoples lives, making their cars deadly weapons. I think they should lose their cars when they get caught. Revoking license isn't helping most of the times anyway. Take the cars away, permanently. Let them buy another car, it's serious crime!
          Yes, they should seize your car the way they do with drug dealers. This is a good idea.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Playing Devil's Advocate for a second, most people would say they do not know what they are doing when they are drunk. So how could someone intend to drive when drunk, when you are in such a state that you couldn't intend to do anything?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

In early December two of my childhood friends went out to celebrate their birthdays (one was 12/8, the other 12/11). The driver had already had 2 DUIs.

At just after 2 AM, they left the bar they were at, quite drunk. They ended up flipping the pick up they were driving onto the center island of the street.

The driver suffered massive skull fractures, broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a ruptured spleen. His nose was smashed horribly, his olfactory nerve was destroyed (leaving him with no sense of smell), and his left eye had popped out of his skull and been smashed. When paramedics arrived, they said his brain was visible from the compound skull fractures. He has had two all day surgeries to pin the fragments of his skull back together.

The passenger was not wearing his seatbelt. He was ejected from the vehicle, and apparently died instantly.

The driver now faces third strike DUI, manslaughter, and parole violation charges. I love this guy like a brother (I have known him since I was 4), and I would defend him with my life if someone were to unfairly attack him. But I hope they throw the book at him. He has had this problem for four years now, and nothing his family and friends could say would deter him.

I don't beleive in third stikes for people who are substantially over the legal limit. 1 strike should give you a permanent revocation of your license and 1 year prison - add five years for each previous incident.
              Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
              Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
              I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

I don't beleive in third stikes for people who are substantially over the legal limit. 1 strike should give you a permanent revocation of your license and 1 year prison - add five years for each previous incident.

What if you didn't kill anyone? Why should you license be PERMANENTLY revoked if you are just a little above the limit?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                  I've read a couple of news reports that have stated that some states here in America are implementing new safety features on cars.

It's a sort of breathalizer installed in the car and you have to breathe in it when you start the car up. If you register over a certain amount, the car won't start no matter what you do.

They are using it now for repeat DUI offenders who (for whatever reason) have not had their license revoked. It actually turns off the car every 10 minutes and the driver has to breathe into in order to start the car. It is expensive as hell to buy and install, and the offender must pay for it if they wish to drive.
                  Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                  Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

What if you didn't kill anyone? Why should you license be PERMANENTLY revoked if you are just a little above the limit?
                    That is why I said SUBSTANTIALLY over the limit. If you are just barely over the limit I agree the law should looser so long as no one has been hurt. But the guy mentioned in the first post should have it revoked regardless of any damage he has caused. He is just a threat to all around him, and it is just a matter of time before he does kill someone or kill himself.

Comment

In all honesty, why even ask the question here? Isn't it kinda like asking, "what do you think of child molesters?" Who really has any sympathy for guys who get behind the wheel shnockered nowadays? I sure don't...
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                        In all honesty, why even ask the question here? Isn't it kinda like asking, "what do you think of child molesters?" Who really has any sympathy for guys who get behind the wheel shnockered nowadays? I sure don't...
                        Good point.

Comment

Ames, how much is substantially? That is the crux of the argument.

Comment

Lets say double the legal limit.

Basically if you have a hard time walking, speaking, saying the alphabet, you **REALLY** should not be driving.

If you are like 5% over the limit, then a revocation is not necessary (unless they pull you over for it every day or something)

The driver in the accident I mentioned was 11 times over the limit on the second DUI. His license should have been revoked then.

Comment

I agree, but permanently is a bit much... it may violate the Constitution (excessive punishment for the crime).

And, of course, my Devil's Advocate argument that if you are THAT drunk, then how can you be held to the standard of a sober person? A drunk person probably doesn't know what he is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                I agree, but permanently is a bit much... it may violate the Constitution (excessive punishment for the crime).
                                I would say that driving isn't a right. It's a privilege.

If they can take away your right to vote for being convicted of a felony, then surely they can take away your drivers license if you are convicted of drunk driving.
                                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Working...
                                X