Drunk Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunk Driving

Last night I saw the craziest thing when I was driving down the highway around 3am.

A blue pickup truck travelling in front of me drove into the median at about 60 miles per hour. I slammed on the brakes and stopped on the highway immediately behind him. I dialed 911 on my cellphone, and was almost ready to jump out of my truck and see if the guy needed any assistance, which I'm sure he probably did. I could see him moving around in the cab.

Then he backed up, drove into the median again, then veered out into the highway and started driving slowly but erratically down the road again. I followed him at a distance, waiting for someone to answer at 911. All I got was a recording telling me all circuits were busy, please wait.

After almost hitting a few cars that came up behind him and tried to pass, the guy suddenly turned off down an off-ramp. I was over too far to use the exit myself, and missed the ramp. The area was such that I never would have found him if I took the next exit and tried to double back. I said **** it, and began driving down the highway again. I hung up on 911 and redialed, finally getting through after about a minute. I informed the police about the driver and then went home.

This person was obviously drunk, and attempting to flee the scene of his own accident so as not to be arrested. Surely he needed medical attention of some kind. His driving and the condition of his vehicles hopefully would have attracted the attention of any police who saw him, if my call was not enough. But I wonder if he was actually caught and didn't somehow find a way to sneak to safety.

This situation got me thinking about all the times I drove under the influence when I was younger. I'd like to think I never driven when I was this drunk, but how can I be sure? I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did it anyway.

Being more mature now, I think drunk driving is one of the lowest things you can do. It's one of the most selfish acts there is.

How do you feel about drunk drivers?
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Drunk drivers are complete scumbags

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I've never driven while drunk. THe most I've had is one pint - I fancied another so I drove home, drove back to the pub with my dad, and he took the car home.

I think it's abysmal.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Ted Striker and I are in agreement on the subject of drunk drivers.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When i was a teenager, i've done some risky a** things.....driving under the influence one of them. I've grown older and realized that, quite frankly, it isn't worth the risk either to myself or innocents.

Talking with other Apolytoner's shook me up and realized that what I did when I was a teenager is just dumb. Drunk Drivers should have their license revoked, permanently.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

This morning, I had a terrible hangover. My daughter wanted to go to the bath house, and there we went. That meant I had to ride my bicycle instead of taking my car, despite having a fever and despite there was a storm outside. Yuk, but rather that than driving drunk!
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
              Drunk Drivers should have their license revoked, permanently.
              yes
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                Drunk Drivers should have their license revoked, permanently.
                Won't help, they'll just drive without a license, as so many now do. I'd rather have the license available as a carrot to get people to try and protect it by acting correctly.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And I'm really p.o.'ed it took me almost five minutes to get through to 911, too. If I hadn't been dealing with the cellphone I probably could have put up a more effective chase.

I hope the guy got caught and didn't kill anybody.
                  "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

How much time does it take for a dose of alcohol ( glass'o'wine, 33oz beer, a shot of hard liquer ) to get out? an hour?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I've read a couple of news reports that have stated that some states here in America are implementing new safety features on cars.

It's a sort of breathalizer installed in the car and you have to breathe in it when you start the car up. If you register over a certain amount, the car won't start no matter what you do.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

That's stupid. I imagine it would break a lot.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

How they have it installed and what-no is pretty impressive. Granted, it's new so it'll have some bugs...but I believe that this is the first step in finally solving D.D.

Comment

A real solution to drunk driving would be auto-pilot.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

never thought of that....but some cars are getting those road sensor things that'll kick the car in the right direction in order to avoid collision.

But when people drive 85 in a 25 zone, that's asking for it. I think TRUE auto-pilot is a loooong way from development. But your idea sounds better.

Comment

Working...
                              X