The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: June Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, here are the nominations as they currently stand:

Voice of the Whirlwind, by Walter Jon Williams, nominated by Wraith.

Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson, nominated by Chegitz Guevara.

Diaspora, by Greg Egan, nominated by St. Leo. There's a bit of debate about this one, but if nobody really objects, I'll allow it in.

The Difference Engine, by Bruce Sterling, nominated by JohnT.

Mindplayers, by Pat Cadigan, nominated by Lazarus and the Gimp.

Holy Fire, by Bruce Sterling, nominated by Starchild.

Across Realtime, by Vernor Vinge, nominated by Ramo.

On My Way to Paradise, by Dave Wolverton, nominated by redbaron.

If I missed anybody, please let me know.

-------------------------------------

Slowwhand, is that a nomination for Dreamcatcher, or just a recommendation?

Ramo, after a quick perusal of Fire Upon the Deep, I'm going to have to disallow it as not being cyberpunk. Sorry.
    Last edited by JohnT; April 7, 2003, 08:17.

Comment

In that case, I'll nominate Across Realtime by Vinge as well, which I think qualifies according to Wraith's definition.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

I'll nominate On My Way to Paradise by Dave Wolverton.

Comment

Originally posted by redbaron
          I'll nominate On My Way to Paradise by Dave Wolverton.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
          Read the Amazon reviews for this book and tell me they weren't all created by the same person over a period of months.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Added the last two noms to my list...

Comment

Aaaargh. I really don't want to split the Sterling vote three ways, but Schismatrix is such a good book...
              Oh, to hell with it. My nomination is Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling. I'll dig up a blurb sometime tomorrow after I get back from badminton.
              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Aaaargh. I really don't want to split the Sterling vote three ways, but Schismatrix is such a good book...

Muwahaha. Diaspora is going to win now.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  I've tried to read Neuromancer twice without success. It's very hard to suspend one's disbelief.
                  Same here...this book is just too strange, i gave up

Anyway, i don't know if you see it as cyber, but I'd nominate Brave New World from Huxley.
                  "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

No, BWN is definitely not cyber.

Comment

Bumpin' this up... and who's the sorry bastuhd who gave this a 1 star vote?

Comment

Whats happening here?
                        How can you miss: Johnny Mnemonic?

I could undertand Necromancer (1964) or Count Zero (guess from who) But Johnny Mnemonic? I thought this is a cyberpunk month.

Because I could nominate just one book It would be Johnny Mnemonic. Of course if novels counts
                        It's from William Gibson.

Comment

Good nom, Raghar.

One of the things that you've might have noticed is that a lot of us (including the moderator) is not into cyberpunk. Couple that with the "one nomination per person" policy and some of the more "obvious" ones will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by raghar
                            Whats happening here?
                            How can you miss: Johnny Mnemonic?

I could undertand Necromancer (1964) or Count Zero (guess from who) But Johnny Mnemonic? I thought this is a cyberpunk month.

Because I could nominate just one book It would be Johnny Mnemonic. Of course if novels counts
                            It's from William Gibson.
                            Johnny Mnemonic is not a book as far as I know, but rather one of the short stories from Gibson's Burning Chrome collection, unless there is a movie novelization floating around somewhere.

The movie is based on this short story, but also seems to contain rather large chunks of Gibson's Virtual Light novel as well.
                            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Static Universe

Johnny Mnemonic is not a book as far as I know, but rather one of the short stories from Gibson's Burning Chrome collection, unless there is a movie novelization floating around somewhere.
                              My research reveals that there is in fact a novelization of the movie, written by Terry Bisson, an apparently once-promising sci-fi writer who mostly writes film adaptations these days.

Amazon Link

Based on the short story and screenplay by cyberpunk pioneer William Gibson, Johnny Mnemonic takes readers into a desperate future where information is all that matters and everything else is cheap. Now a major motion picture starring Keanu Reeves.
                              Last edited by Static Universe; April 13, 2003, 23:26.

Comment

Ugh. That info makes for a difficult decision.

The fact that raghar nominated Gibsons Johnny Mnemonic instead of Bissons adaptation of the movie with the same name, makes me think he won't appreciate the Bisson book. I'll give him a PM and ask what he wants to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X