The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: June Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    I was thinking about nominating Cryptonomicon, which is arguably Neal Stephenson's best work to date (he's one of my favorite authors), however, I had my memory jogged about my favorite cyberpunk book, Stephenson's Snow Crash.
    Snow Crash is so good and worthy of discussion that I won't even nominate another book myself. I second this nomination, if you chose to go this route, Che.

I think Cryptonomicon is excellent as well, but is part of a unfinished series, and personally I would life to avoid another series book as the winner, as there have been three out of four so far.

Edit: 3 out of 4, not 3 out of 5
    Last edited by Static Universe; April 5, 2003, 18:42.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

The Handmaid's Tale
      Foundation
      Ender's Game (current)
      Red Mars (in May)

Note the convenient link that I supplied to help people locate the Ender's Game "discussion."

Comment

X-post with Statics edit made this post irrelevant.

Comment

Yes, but Red Mars is so long, and I just started reading it (totally indepedant to the pick). I just finished Dune, have moved onto Red Mars... so I'll get to Ender's Game.... um... *runs*
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            Dune by Frank Herbert.

I was going to nominate Dune as well, until I saw the stupid "cyberpunk" theme. Best sci-fi novel ever, but not cyberpunk in the least...
            When I win this month's nomination I'll make the next theme, Science Fantasy, so you can have your Dune.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When I win this month's nomination I'll make the next theme, Science Fantasy, so you can have your Dune.

Make the theme "books involving giant desert planets, sandworms, and prescient, god-like characters." I don't want to take any chances.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Make the theme "books involving giant desert planets, sandworms, and prescient, god-like characters." I don't want to take any chances.
                Maybe you should just go with "Books with 'Dune' in the Title".
                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Watch, 'Dune Messiah' will win out then or something .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Or "Heretics of Dune"...

*shudders*
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--" Most of the action in Diaspora happens inside computers, so I think that it qualifies as cyberpunk."

Not really. I did post a pretty standard definition of it above. There's an important element of attitude that's entirely seperate from computers being there or not.
                      Haven't read the book, but I wouldn't expect it to be cyberpunk from the description.

--"I'll nominate A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (does that qualify as cyberpunk?)."

I've read it, and I wouldn't call it cyberpunk, but I guess this is going to be Chegitz's call.

Wraith
                      "A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone."
                      - Jo Godwin

Comment

I'm going to withdraw the Hyperion nomination. Most of the "cyber" stuff was actually in the sequel, Fall of Hyperion.

I would've nominated Vinge's True Names: And the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier, but that would've violated the "you must have read it" rule, and would've stolen votes from the earlier Vinge nomination.

So, unless I can think of something, I'll likely go without a nominee this time.

Comment

Will I be able to nominate The Dark Side of the Sun?

I like Dune Messiah.

Not really. I did post a pretty standard definition of it above. There's an important element of attitude that's entirely seperate from computers being there or not.
                          Haven't read the book, but I wouldn't expect it to be cyberpunk from the description.

Fine. I nominate 1984 then.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I'm all for Che's nomination.

We're going to start discussing Diamond Age by Stephenson in my Sci-Fi Lit. class. It doesn't fit cyberpunk otherwise I'd nominate it. This'll also give me an excuse to read Cryptonomicon.
                            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                            New faces...Strange places,
                            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone
                              This'll also give me an excuse to read Cryptonomicon.
                              Excellent book. My only problem with it is the hard cover edition I have has so many typos that after a while I began to think they weren't typos but rather some kind of hidden message written into the book.

I mean every three or four pages there was a glaring mispelling or something. Methinks this book wasn't edited properly.

Edit: What word above is not spelled properly?

Comment

--"Fine. I nominate 1984 then."

Who does have final call on the genre-suitability, anyway? Seems like that's a little bit important with the new nomination scheme.

Wraith
                                Don't try to engage my enthusiasm -- I haven't got one

Comment

Working...
                                X