Learning Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ranskaldan
    That totally depends on what your original language is. German is quite easy for an English speaker and hellishly hard for a Chinese speaker (unless he speaks English too.)
    I think German is easier than English, which is very, very irregular.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan

That totally depends on what your original language is. German is quite easy for an English speaker and hellishly hard for a Chinese speaker (unless he speaks English too.)
      I can't say that this is completely untrue, but wouldn't it imply that Apolyton posters from, say, Israel or Finland would, on average, have much worse English skills than, for example, Swedes and Dutchmen (which does not seem to be the case to me)?

Comment

My native language is English, but I am semi-fluent in Spanish and Latin. I prefer Latin, though, because it is totally useless (unless I decide to travel back in time to the Roman Empire). If I were to try to learn another language, I would probably try to learn Russian, just for the challenge of it.

Comment

I've taken Spanish, Latin, Russian, and Hebrew. I seriously recommend German.

Spanish is prolly the most useful, however, German would prolly be the best to go with if you are not in a constant school setting.
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

the list i gave was of languages i intend to learn, ie, i want to know all

Russian shouldn't be to hard seeing as alot of the letters are quite similar to greek (trying to learn classical greek to )

I did spanish and french at school, but at the time wasn't really interested, but i do have a small basic in both, so neither should be to hard (and reading spanish isn't very hard).

Does anyone know any message boards for any of those languages then? that seems like quite a good idea.

or Arabic
            I've been thinking abouyt that one to

thx for the help guys, and keep it coming
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

What is so difficult on Russian language? It's much easier than spoken Chinese.

Damn easy tenses in Russian, but try with the spelling. Difficult to remember when a hyphen is needed, something like iz za, izza or iz-za. Also, I know that some words confuse the heck out of everybody, native speakers included.

The word bezidejnij, is it proper to spell áåçèäåéíûé or áåçûäåéíûé , eh ?
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Emperor? you know hebrew? why? and how did it help you?

Comment

I think that it's the latter spelling.

because of "idea"'s original spelling

Comment

they both look slightly meesed upto me, i think maybe i need the language fonts

Comment

Learn Welsh.

What could be easier than learning how to pronounce Rhosllanerchrugug properly, or Machynlleth, or Cwrt Mawr!
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                        Learn Welsh.

What could be easier than learning how to pronounce Rhosllanerchrugug properly, or Machynlleth, or Cwrt Mawr!
                        I don't intend to meet welsh people in my life

Comment

You've gotta hear a south-west Wales accent...well nice.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                            You've gotta hear a south-west Wales accent...well nice.

maybe i will have to consider it.

Though the 5 listed is enough for the moment

Comment

Well it's actually quite easy really.

Vehicles are the easiest ones...

Taxi - tacsi
                              Ambulance - ambwlans
                              Bus = bws

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

How strange,

so the Russians got 'Takci' from Welsh....
                                "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Working...
                                X